The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 11, 2002, 02:34 AM   #51
Blue Jays

Good job, NSF003

NSF003-

Sounds like you done good! Fifteen years of age is a fading memory for me, but once another fifteen or twenty years go by, you'll look back to this as a good lesson.

Some of the TFL'ers out there have been riding NSF pretty hard. He sounds like a good kid who has asked other like-minded people for advice/suggestions.

Study hard, work hard, exercise hard, be loyal to family & true friends, and always strive to do "the right thing" and you'll be fine.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old August 11, 2002, 02:45 AM   #52
Blackhawk

WyldOne, you really need to read the whole thread -- especially between the lines of nsf's posts.
Old August 11, 2002, 02:49 AM   #53
WyldOne

Well I did read the entire thread. But okay.

WyldOne's Fun & Political BB

WyldOne's homepage
Old August 11, 2002, 09:31 AM   #54
Blackhawk

WyldOne, check your PM.

Didn't think a public response to your wondering about nsf's friend was quite fitting....
Old August 11, 2002, 10:04 AM   #55
12-34hom

#1. Put the guns away where they belong.

#2. Stop over reacting.

I'd tell you to grow up, but seeing as how your 15 years old i would expect this type of behaviour.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old August 11, 2002, 11:18 AM   #56
nsf003

Quote:
Have your thoughts about this issue you raised earlier changed in light of your recent experience on this thread?
Yes. I think that people at this age shouldn't be able to carry in school. Way too many hormones.

Teachers are another story.

I still thing that I am more mature than the nutcase, however.

nsf

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old August 11, 2002, 11:25 AM   #57
Blackhawk

Quote:
I still thing that I am more mature than the nutcase, however.
Print this thread out. Hide it for about 5 years, then read it again. I'll bet you won't agree with your own statement as you remember the time in which it was made....
Old August 11, 2002, 11:27 AM   #58
nsf003

Alright, probably not.

nsf

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old August 11, 2002, 11:28 AM   #59
Blackhawk

Old August 11, 2002, 11:32 AM   #60
nsf003

I'd like to think that I am though.

nsf

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old August 11, 2002, 11:37 AM   #61
Blackhawk

That's normal. Just don't believe it unless the only group of people who do really stupid things never includes you....

Ever hear of a "Dutch Uncle?" You've got about 15,000 of them....
Old August 11, 2002, 11:43 AM   #62
nsf003

Quote:
That's normal. Just don't believe it unless the only group of people who do really stupid things never includes you....

Ever hear of a "Dutch Uncle?" You've got about 15,000 of them....

nsf

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old August 11, 2002, 02:42 PM   #63
Quartus

Quote:
Second, you really need to rethink your philosophy about guns.

Lighten up, guys. He's 15. He may have over-reacted a bit, but he did NOT brandish any weapons - he knew better and he proved it. And we weren't there - a screaming nutcase is a scary thing - male or female. He might actually have been in danger.

You'll be alright, nsf.

nsf003... What's that for? Did you bounce check #003?

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old August 11, 2002, 09:43 PM   #64
spacemanspiff

either way...a screaming nutcase who only threatened to tattle to a kids parents, is NO reason to arm oneself. and what was the point of becoming armed, if there was no intent to use them? its water under the bridge now, but to me, the whole story sounds bogus. i think it would be more believable if we were told that nsf mouthed off to the mother, which set her off. thats much more plausible than a psycho who demands that a 15 yr old get in the back seat, and then when he doesnt comply, threatens to tell on him to his parents.
Old August 11, 2002, 10:26 PM   #65
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

NSF003,
What are your up coming goals ???

Say… fall sports at school (football, soccer, x-country)? Also, what books have you read this summer?

From what I see you’ll do just fine. Hang in there and stay honest with your folks.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old August 11, 2002, 10:43 PM   #66
nsf003

Scott

Working as the Student Athletic Director during the fall. I assist the school AD with running the scoreboard, lining fields, working on the program, etc. I start that tomorrow at 8:00 AM.

Going to be wrestling during the winter. Hope to do well there.

I would like to get into IDPA or USPSA in the spring. Can anyone tell me where I can find an event or club in the South Central PA area?

I read some Dean Koontz, Fear Nothing and Seize the Night(they had guns in them ), and am going to be starting "The Remnant" of the Left Behind Series soon.

Thanks,
nsf

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old August 11, 2002, 10:50 PM   #67
nsf003

Quote:
nsf003... What's that for? Did you bounce check #003?

I actually got it off of the PC game Deus Ex. The login for the statue of liberty security computer was NSF001, password smashthestate. I changed the 001 to 003 because I am the third in my family. My password is not smashthestate. That would be pretty dumb of me.

nsf

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old August 11, 2002, 10:58 PM   #68
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Lighten up, guys. He's 15. He may have over-reacted a bit
I don't think he needs to be punished or anything, but I do believe he needs to really think about why he immediately turned to guns even though the situation didn't warrant it.

The kicker here is that at some level he realizes that going for the guns wasn't really a good idea. That's the reason he kept that part of the story from his parents and that's the reason he posted here for affirmation--in other words, he's asking us if he did the right thing.

Well, in many respects, he did. For that, he is to be commended. However, there was nothing that should have caused him to think that guns were part of the solution to this problem--it's important to tell him so.
Old August 11, 2002, 11:25 PM   #69
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Good man!

Stay busy with the extra activities.

The “Left Behind” series is excellent. My daughters (ages 15 & 12) love them as well.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old August 12, 2002, 09:49 AM   #70
Hemicuda

I think readying (but not showing) the guns when he did is the RIGHT thing...

I do not do ANYTHING in my house or yard without a gun handy...

and double that if a crazy is knocking at my door and yelling stuff...

as forfriends, that guy wasn't...

I consider myself TOTALLY lucky... i know 5 people who I can call friends... people who will TRULY "watch my 6" and aren't in it for anything more than the fact that they are my friends... these are the people that I can trust with everything from keys to my house (all 5, plus my mom and dad have keys to) to keys to my gunsafe (Dad and the 5 friends have that key) to my woman... the rest of the people I know are only "acquaintences" that I know to varying degrees... but are not TRULY friends...

ALL of the 5 are very important to me... and I know ALOT of people who have only 1 or 2, and SOMETIMES 0 REAL friends...

Goodonya, NSF003... you're on the way to being the better person you seem to want to be!

you did good, and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:59 AM   #71
nsf003

Quote:
I am working on that, usually carry when mowing the lawn and when on a walk in the woods behind my house. If my parents would let me carry in the house, I would.

As far as friends go, I am down to 1, but he is a real true friend. Has been that way since 3rd grade.

nsf

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old August 12, 2002, 10:59 AM   #72
JohnKSa
Staff

Hemicuda,

Quote:
Yeah, neither do I, come to think of it. I guess from that perspective it does make more sense, and I suppose I have been a bit overcritical.

nsf003,

I must admit, I'm impressed with your self-control overall. I still want to stress that it's a good idea to be very careful and be thinking very clearly before inserting guns into a volatile (but nonviolent) situation. If things get nasty, you may be asked why you went and got them, and your explanation will have to be very good.

Take care,

John
Old August 12, 2002, 11:31 AM   #73
Guyon

I've read through this entire thread and have a few comments.

nsf003 ought to be commended for taking advice and coming clean with his parents. Moreover, I agree that any person who stabs you in the back isn't a friend and should be avoided.

John: I'm glad you tempered your criticism of nsf003. I think that "readying" the weapons was justifiable, even if he's 15. If nsf003 "owns" these guns, chances are he's grown up in a family of shooters / hunters. More than likely, he knows how to handle a firearm. Heck, where I'm from, kids start hunting anywhere from 10 to 12 years old. Moreover, nsf003 shows the presence of mind to come to TFL and learn about the proper uses of defensive force. He seems to know the severity of brandishing, and I'm glad it's been reinforced in this thread.

Still, if folks here had a angry, screaming idiot banging on our door and shouting all manner of things, I'd be willing to bet that most of us would slip a pistol into our pocket, waistband, etc. just in case. I generally do this when any unexpected visitor knocks on my door. These days, you just never know what someone's going to do.

I bet that quite a few TFL'ers have instructed their children (teenagers) how to handle a firearm in case of a forced entry into the home.

In this case, I sort of doubt that the woman planned to crash through a door or window and attack nsf003. Nonetheless, if he feared for his safety and if he had been trained to handle a weapon in case of a home invasion, then readying a firearm was not a bad safeguard. The key here is making sure that he knows the extremely few scenarios in which deadly force is legally (and even morally) justifiable.

That said, we don't know the whole story here. We have no idea why this woman was so angy. We don't know the "things" that nsf003 did with his so-called friend. Perhaps this woman's anger was somewhat justifiable as well. Her mistake though was taking it out on a 15-year old. If she had problems, she should have given the parents a call.

Last edited by Guyon; August 12, 2002 at 11:51 AM.
Old August 12, 2002, 05:04 PM   #74
nsf003

She was mad because my "friend" and I were out without his girlfriend. During the whole 3 hour event, the mother must have called him at least 20 times. Each time, she told him that he had to make a choice, me or her. Each time he asked her if he was allowed to have friends. At about the 20th time, before he hung up his cell phone, I said "Why do you keep calling us, quit calling here, leave us alone. It is our night out, not yours" I think she didn't want to hear that and went postal on me the next day.

nsf

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old August 12, 2002, 11:08 PM   #75
Quartus

"As the mother, so is the daughter". You'll find that in Jeremiah, IIRC.

They'll make a lovely trio. Without you!

Nobody who is that controlled is a good companion. Male or female.