The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 6, 2007, 08:12 PM   #1
marikhal

Question: AR-15 Improved Battlesight Zero

Source: http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR1...sightzero.msnw

I have a question for some of you guys.

I'm attempting to get the "improved battle sight zero" set, and after adjusting, my rear sight is canted left. I can't seem to get it straight unless I bring it back from the bottom out position (I can push on it to make it straight, but it just goes back.)

It is the removable carry handle version - anyone ever ran into this? Anyone have suggestions as to how to fix it? I'm thinking I'll take it over to the gun shop tomorrow morning so they can look at it, because I'm clueless.

Thanks in advance!
Old October 6, 2007, 08:17 PM   #2
MisterPX

Canted?!?

Are you talking about horizintal tension on one side of the ears? If so, that's supposed to be that way.

Anyhow, set your rear sight for 6/3, zero at 50M, and leave it be. Unless you actually beleive you'll ever use the elevation knob.
Old October 6, 2007, 09:05 PM   #3
marikhal

I meant horizontal tension. :P

It looks like it won't shoot straight (left/right), which is why I was asking. :P
Old October 6, 2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Lavid2002

What?

Im about to buy an ar and I dont know how to use the elevation know...it says one turn for 800 yards from 300...[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? how does this work?
Old October 6, 2007, 11:38 PM   #5
jrothWA

The rear sight has both the...

3/8 markings for the same gradation. What this means is the rear sight is turn downed to the 3 marking, the "0-3" apearature is used,then the front sight is adjusted until the group is at POA/POI for 100 meters (App: 110 yds).
Then using standard Mil ammo the elevation and apearature is use for appropriate ranges.

There is a way to adjust the elevation knob to give three negative clicks, by removing the set-screw holdingthe two elevation havles together and moving the bottom forward or back (can't remember) , then re-join with set-screw.
Old October 9, 2007, 01:47 AM   #6
MisterPX

Quote:
I meant horizontal tension. :P
That's normal. The tension keeps the rear aperture consitent. If the spring was missing, your sight would bounce back and forth causing aperture shift.
Old October 9, 2007, 09:43 AM   #7
marikhal

Thanks!

I guess the farther you go under 6/3, the more it'll "turn" left?

I was just wondering, as I thought this might give me problems zeroing. I might just set it to bottom out at 6/3 again, and zero at 50 from there. I'll mark my own adjustments for various ranges manually (if I ever have to use the elevation wheel :P).