The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old September 12, 2001, 11:38 AM   #26
Mute

If you'll check the dates, those post were made Mr. McMillan passed away. May he rest in peace.
Old September 12, 2001, 05:27 PM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Marshall, you can search the archives, find a post and then add to it. It then comes up "brand new"--except for the date of posting, as shown at the bottom left.

FWIW, you can find some of the more valuable posts and put them on your "Favorites" list. LawDog's stories and Gale's advice rank rather high, there...

, Art
Old September 13, 2001, 01:35 PM   #28
Marshall

Location: I live in a small bush community in southeast Alaska called Gustavus
Archives

Thanks Art, what won't they think of next. I sure am going to modify my cleaning practices. I appreciate your bring back those posts.
Marshall
Old April 2, 2006, 03:14 PM   #29
Joey

Worth bringing to the top.
Old April 2, 2006, 04:33 PM   #30
Friiguy

oops
Old May 13, 2006, 12:37 PM   #31
UniversalFrost

back from the past

good reading guys. Gale McMillian and his words of wisdom. All should read and commit to memory.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 1, 2007, 01:01 PM   #32
spystyle

Hello from Maine,

I stumbled upon this thread from Google

I was reading it because I have a new AR15 with Wilson chrome molly barrel (no chrome lining) I'm trying to decide how to brake it in and now I see that McMillian recommends not braking them in at all - but I can't ask him anything

So what is the new consensis? We don't need to do anything to our new barrels but shoot and clean at the end of the day?

Thank you,
Craig
Old April 2, 2007, 08:17 PM   #33
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

spystyle, I've made the general comment before: I never heard of "break-in" prior to coming to TFL. For some 48 years I'd lived in ignorance, what with my various '06s, .270, .243s, etc.

And, apparently, my father and my uncle had never heard of such a thing; they started center-fire in the 1920s, and taught me...

But we've all lived in the world of sub-MOA.

Art
Old April 2, 2007, 08:43 PM   #34
rem33

Shoot it take it home clean it repeat.
If your interested in excellent reading by Gale and others check out this.

http://yarchive.net/gun/index.html
Old April 2, 2007, 09:19 PM   #35
spystyle

Thanks for that link! It's a treasure box

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=60102

Last edited by spystyle; April 3, 2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old October 1, 2007, 07:04 PM   #36
edwennink

Vale Gale Mcmillan!

May your rewards be sweet...RIP
Old October 4, 2007, 07:04 AM   #37
roryg1

Barrell Break In

I've been putting together a 700P so I've been reading everything I can on this subject..Here's what I found in the M24 maintenance manual (yes I know I don't have one). The M24 comes from Remington ready to shoot, however it is recommended that the gun be broken in to enhance the life and accuracy of the weapon. Should you need to immediately employ or use the weapon you may disregard the break in procedure; however weapon life may suffer depending on how it is used. In order to break the weapon in follow the following steps; 1. Clear the weapon. 2. Remove the bolt. 3. Insert the bore guide. 4. Dry patch the barrel to remove any obstacles. 5. Remove the bore guide 6. Reinsert the bolt 7. Load one round 8. Fire one round 9. Clean the weapon (see ROUTINE MAINTENANCE) 10. Repeat this (firing 1 round and cleaning) until you have fired 10 rounds 11. Load and fire 3 rounds 12. Clean the weapon (see ROUTINE MAINTENANCE) 13. Repeat this another 9 times (10 iterations total) (firing 3 rounds and cleaning) for a total of 40 rounds being fired through the rifle (1 round x 10 and 3 rounds x 10) 14. Load and fire 5 rounds 15. Clean the weapon (see ROUTINE MAINTENANCE) 16. Repeat this another 9 times (10 iterations total) (firing 5 rounds and cleaning) for a total of 90 rounds being fired through the rifle (1 round x 10, 3 rounds x 10 and 5 rounds x 10) 17. Load and fire 10 rounds 18. Clean the weapon (see ROUTINE MAINTENANCE) 19. This should be 100 rounds total fired through the rifle, the M24 is now broken in. This is right from Remington and the military.
Old October 4, 2007, 03:33 PM   #38
30Cal

Quote:
This is right from Remington and the military.
Old wives' tales sure die hard.

Ty
Old October 9, 2007, 10:44 AM   #39
rr2241tx

Quote:
This is right from Remington and the military.

They spell alignment alinement too, but that doesn't make it correct.

Actually, they were right about running a patch through the barrel to remove obstacles. And, since the barrels on M24s are NOT premium target barrels, there will be some smoothing of machining marks in the throat as the initial rounds are fired and that may improve accuracy a bit as the rifle is fired a few times. However, it would take an exceptional shooter to notice the tiny improvement when firing at a sniper's usual target under the normal sniping circumstances. Killing paper is a whole different circumstance.

When in doubt, Check with Gale McMillan. He KNEW what he was talking about.
Closed Thread