The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 22, 2006, 04:22 PM   #1
govmule84

Hot Truck?

Hey everybody...
Forgive me if this has been covered, but I couldn't unearth anything in the archives.

I have a variety of shooty toys, and I have a bruiser Hi Point 9mm that usually lives on the truck seat with me, loaded, and I keep a few boxes of ammo in the truck in case a casual plinking event presents itself.

After work today, I brought my gun in the house, because the truck was hot after sitting in the sun. Is this necessary?

Thanks...Liam
Old April 22, 2006, 04:41 PM   #2
atlctyslkr

I've heard that enemies of firearms and ammuntion include (but not limited to)

Excessive Heat (hot car) can damage primers
Moisture - keep firearms greased and oiled
Salty Air
Cold (can cause condensation when brought into warmer place)
Harsh Abbrasives and corrosive cleaning agents
Old April 22, 2006, 07:33 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

heat

Extreme heat (140 degree+) can be found in a car in the sun in the summer. This can explode aerosol cans! It is not good for the ammo. It can change the chemical composition of the powder. With most powders, heat can increase the pressure of the load, possibly to dangerous levels.

I know of a case from about a decade ago, where a fellow blew the clyinder on his .44. It was a hot summer day (100+) air temp, and he had left a box of ammo on the dashboard of his truck all afternoon, while shooting. When he got to that ammo, his second or third cylinder full, and it came apart on him. Now, this guy liked to load light charges of fast powder (for economy), so I could not rule out an overcharge, but HE was convinced that it was because he let his ammo get "too hot".

The only problem I can with leaving an UNLOADED gun in this kind of heat, is that the lubricants will thicken (carrier evaporates) and maybe gum up the works. Other types of lube could just evaporate, or "melt" out of the gun, leaving it dry. Plus, it will be kind of hot to hold

If the heat is enough to degrade the powder, you may have misfires, or squibs. It does not get QUITE as hot in the trunk as it does in the passenger compartment, and the hottest places are the dashboard, and the rear deck, where things can be in direct sunlight, magnified by the glass. I have seen the rear window blown out of a car by an aerosol can that exploded in the summer sun. If you must leave gun/ammo in the heat of a car, consider an insulated cooler. (no ice) Just dry. You can see how much of a difference it can make by using a couple of cheap thermometers.
Old April 24, 2006, 11:35 AM   #4
govmule84

bump
Old April 24, 2006, 01:56 PM   #5
DWARREN123

The pressure curve for ammo that is hot or cold can differ greatly from what it should be. Extreme cold does not seem to be as dangerous as hot ammo which can cause very high pressures.
Extreme temps can change the power composition so I would not leave ammo where it is in very hot/cold conditions.
Old April 24, 2006, 02:07 PM   #6
westphoenix

It gets pretty hot here in Phoenix, AZ.
Both my car and truck do not have tinted windows.
In some cases I am forced to leave my pistol in the vehicle.
In glove box, storage compartment, under seat, etc. (out of direct sunlight).
Never had a problem and have been doing it for over 8 years.

I worried about this before, but not anymore.
The inside of a vehicle here can get so hot you can't touch the steering wheel.
Grab the gun out of the hiding spot and its barely warm.
Keep it out of direct sunlight and you'll be fine.

I also keep loaded spare mags in there all the time.
Shot them when they are at their hottest (warm) without a problem.