The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 28, 2008, 01:24 PM   #1
JayD976

Scope Fitting

Ok a buddy of mine gave me a scope to borrow for now till i can get my own i put it on my Vanguard and the scope Obj. Lens base just touches the top of the barrel at one point is that bad? its a 3x9x40.
Old September 28, 2008, 01:27 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Yup. That's bad. Scope can't touch.
You need either higher rings, or you need to push the scope forward, if that will clear it.
If it touches, that scope is dead meat... it will not shoot well and it will have a short life.
Old September 28, 2008, 01:28 PM   #3
JayD976

thats wat i figured.
Old September 28, 2008, 01:50 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Take a look at this video here:
http://madogre.lefora.com/2008/09/21...flexing/page1/
Now, that is a semi auto .50 so the movement is exagerated, but that is what happens in ALL RIFLES to some degree... you can imagine that scope objective bouncing off the barrel... Not cool.
I've seen lenses literally fall out of the scope bodies because of this. Even with slight gaps... not touching. The scope would, during recoil, bounce off the barrel.
This is why guys will spend 200 bucks just for good solid mounts and rings.
Old September 28, 2008, 01:51 PM   #5
10-96

Despair not- rings are inexpensive and can be found everywhere from Wallyworld to Gebo's (farm &ranch supply). I don't know what caliber of rifle you have, but $12 - $15 Weavers will likely work just as well for your purpose as the $200 or so jobs. Increase ring height- don't try to shim up or anything- it'll just add to you frustration and colorful vocabulary.

Edit: I'm guessing $$ might be a little tight as you said you borrowed a scope instead of buying your own. Nothing wrong with that- at least you're one step closer to shooting. If you're not shooting a major powerhouse- inexpensive rings will hold you over until you can upgrade. But still, a nice set of Redfield type bases and Burris Signature rings ought not set you back more than $80- and they look good. But either way... don't let folks tell you shooting has to be a rich man's sport. You'll get your own stuff and things will come together in time if you have patience and work at it. That's the way I had to do it.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 28, 2008, 01:52 PM   #6
JayD976

its a .308 and the rings i have on there are weaver Mid size so i need to go to the High size
Old September 28, 2008, 01:59 PM   #7
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Mediums can't clear a 40mm obj? Hmmm... those must be some skinny Weaver bases.
A good option for you would be to go with some medium Leupold rings and bases. (about 55 bucks) That will set you up just right. High rings might make it a touch too high. But that's nothing a old mouse pad and tape can't fix. (build up a cheek rest)
Just avoid the cheap 15 dollar aluminum rings... High Burris Zee Rings might be perfect and those are about 28 bucks for a set.