The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 26, 2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Eastern Assasin

A simple question...

Hi! I'm new to the forum and sport. Can some one explain to me what's the difference in "Bore"and "Chambering"

Thanks.
Old September 26, 2008, 11:50 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In my limited vocabulary the bore is the inside of the barrel where the projectiles are in motion and the chamber is the area machined to hold the round...
Brent
Old September 26, 2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Doyle

Exactly. Think of it this way - A .308 and a 30-06 have the same bore size. However, the chamber size is significantly different. Even more dramatic is the .22 sized rifles. Bore size for .22 sized bullets can range from .220 to about .224. In other words - a difference so small that you can't tell with the naked eye. However, chamber size can range from the 1/2" long little .22 short all the way up to the massive size of a .22-250.
Old September 26, 2008, 12:20 PM   #4
zippy13

From the NRA Firearms Fact Book...
Bore (1) the interior of the barrel, or a firearm located ahead of the chamber. (2) British synonym for shotgun gauge.
Chamber, part of a firearm in which a cartridge is contained at the instant of firing.

In the simplest terms, think of the bore as the hole where the shot, or bullet travels the length of the barrel, and the chamber as that part of the bore that has been made larger to accept the cartridge (it's different in revolvers). Since you didn't give your location, I don't know if you're used to British English or the American variety. In the US, when we ask, "What caliber is that gun?" Typically, we want to know the cartridge name (i.e. .22 Long rifle, .30-'06, .38 Special, 7x57mm), the not actual dimensions. In the UK, the same question might be, "What's that gun's chambering?"
Old September 26, 2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Scorch

Bore= the inside diameter of a hole, in this case the inside diiameter of the barrel (land-to-land, not groove diameter).
Caliber= a measurement equal to 1/100th of an inch; OR bore diameter expressed in 1/100ths of an inch (e.g a 308 or 30-06 would be 30-caliber, not .30-caliber); OR a comparative measure of barrel length for naval rounds equal to one bore diameter (e.g. 3 inch 50 of naval guns= 3" bore with a 150" barrel)
Chambering= the specific cartridge the firearm is chambered for, i.e. .22LR, .308 Winchester, .458 Winchester Magnum, etc.

Soooooo,
* you can have a 30-caliber rifle that you cannot find ammo for (as in 30 Wesson)
* you can have a 30-caliber gun you cannot lift (as in 5 inch 30 naval gun)
* you can have a gun that you can't find bullets for (as in 16" naval guns that fire shells)
* you can have a rifle for which you know the caliber, but don't know what ammunition it uses (as in "it's 45 caliber, but I don''t know what cartridge it takes")
and so on.

Quote:
when we ask, "What caliber is that gun?" Typically, we want to know the cartridge name
That is like saying gun when you mean firearm (a gun is carriage-mounted or turret-mounted, typically, as in naval guns), or like saying clip when you mean magazine (I can't find a clip for my AR15!! Wah!!), or saying bullets when you mean loaded ammunition (Elmer- click, click, Oh, wats, all out of buwwets!), or rounds when you mean bullets, or pistol when speaking about revolvers, etc, etc. Just because that is what people say doesn't make it accurate. Thank you for listening, class is dismissed.
Old September 27, 2008, 02:08 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

or pistol when speaking about revolvers

Revolvers are pistols. A very specific kind of pistol. All revolvers are pistols, but only revolving pistols are revolvers.

Single shot and auto loading (self loading, automatic) pistols are pistols, but they are not revolvers. Much blurred and misused over time, worse (or at least as bad) as "clips" and "magazines", or "cartridges" and "bullets". A lot of people are sloppy/imprecise with the terms. Some of them are very hard to convince that they are being imprecise, because "everybody knows what we are talking about".

Sam Colt's original patent was for a "revolving pistol".

Depending on where you are in the country (and who you are talking to), your car may have a "motor" or an "engine", in casual conversation, both terms are used, but if you are talking in technical terms, there is a great deal of difference. Many firearms terms are like that as well.
Old September 27, 2008, 02:38 PM   #7
Eastern Assasin

Thank you guys for your posts. please correct me if I understodd wrong.

If we were talking about two different guns chambered for 9x19 and 9X21... would we say both guns have a caliber of 9mm but chambered for 19 and 21 mm respectively? Does chamber refer to the length of the cartridge/casing a gun can fire?
Old September 27, 2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Inspector3711

It can relate to the length and/or the diameter of the case. For example, a
.223 Remington cartridge or chamber has a much smaller diameter than a .22 PPC but both utilize the same bullet diameter. In the other direction, the .22-250 cartridge or chamber is much longer than the .223 Remington but once again the both can utilize the same bullets.
Old September 27, 2008, 05:25 PM   #9
bcarver

bore v chamber

Bore has a measurement. ie .308, .243, .270. .284, .223, 9mm, .357, .44,.41
Chamber have names or titles that distinguish them from other chamberings.
ie. .308 Winchester, .243 Winchester, .270 Wichester, 7mm-08, 7mm Remington Magnum, .357 Remington Magnum, .44 Smith&wesson Special, .44 Remington Magnum, .41 Remington Magnum, 9x19, 9x21, 7.62x39mm, 7x57mm Mauser.

Some Chambering don't tell you you bore some do.
Example. .280 Remington has a bore of .284.

Bore can be in decimal (.308)or metric(9mm).
6mm is .243
7mm is .284
Old September 27, 2008, 06:11 PM   #10
zippy13

Quote:
If we were talking about two different guns chambered for 9x19 and 9X21... would we say both guns have a caliber of 9mm but chambered for 19 and 21 mm respectively?
Not quite! You have the right idea but your nomenclature is wrong. 9x19mm and 9x21mm are names/designations not precise dimensions. Unfortunately, you've selected the European designation (metric diameter and case length) that may be adding to your confusion. In the US, the 9x19mm was originally known as the 9mm Luger because it was associated with the German Luger pistols of WW I; however, it's correct designation was/is 9mm Parabellum. Generally when somepne speaks of a 9mm pistol, they mean a 9mm Parabellum. To add to the confusion, it's also known as 9mm PARA, 9mm/08, 9mm Auto and 9mm NATO.

Your 9x21mm is a different situation -- you're probably mean the 9mm IMI (a 9mm Parabellum stretched 2mm to comply with Italian civil laws). But, there is another one, the 9x21mm Gyurza, a Russian high-powered, anti-armor round for the SR-1 pistol and SR-2 sub-machinegun.

The 9mm Parabellum and the 9mm IMI cartridges are not interchangeable. However, many pistols with a 9mm Parabellum chambering can be changed to 9mm IMI chambering with a simple barrel switch. If you get into shooting IPSC you'll understand and appreciate why this is significant. For your two pistols in question, you would say their "chambering" is 9mm Parabellum and 9mm IMI.

For most sporting arms, the cartridge identification is clearly marked, typically on the barrel. Assuming a firearm is in proper working condition, you just match the label on the barrel to the label on the ammo box. Military arms aren't so accommodating. There are many marked .30-Caliber and it's up to you to know if it's a .30-40 Krag, .30-06 Springfield or .30 Carbine chambering. You must know what you've got.

In some some situations, cases with identical dimensions will have different names. Frequently this is to differentiate between different loads: A 38 Special and a 38 Special +P have similar names, but the +P is loaded to a higher pressure. You can shoot a 38 Special in a modern 38 Special +P revolver, but I wouldn't try a 38 Special +P in an older 38 Special. A rifle marked .244 Remington takes the same size cartridges as one marked 6mm Remington. The original .244 Rem wasn't a marketing success, so Remington increased the pressure and twist to improve accuracy and reintroduced it as the 6mm Rem.

Not to worry, with experience, these muddy waters will become crystal clear. Until then, trust your local gun shop to provide the correct ammunition.
Old September 28, 2008, 07:26 AM   #11
Conceal Carry

Thanks a lot Zippy that was very helpful.