The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 9, 2008, 09:05 PM   #1
Playboypenguin

XD-9SC vs. Glock 26: The side by side shootout.

I almost titled this thread "The Hardest Range Report I Ever Had To Write" since it did not end up exactly the way I wished.

I picked up my Glock 26 yesterday and decided to take it and my SA XD-9SC to the range today and see how they compared side by side.

I wanted to compare them on appearance, design, build quality, fit & finish, trigger quality, comfort, accuracy, and pointability (not a real word but I made it up to mean how easy the gun could be fired accurately from the hip ).

Appearance: I am not a big fan of black guns or polymer guns but in this category I give the edge to the XD. I like the bolder looks and the sharper edges and more dramatic lines. It just looks tougher. Although, the G26 is not a bad looking gun either as far as Glocks go. I would say it is definitely the best looking gun Glock makes.
XD: 8/10..........G26: 7/10

Design: This is a bit tougher to decide. I prefer the XD with it's bolder look and more substantial controls but the G26 is very well designed and has stood the test of time. I am going to give a slight edge to the XD though, mainly because of the more substantial controls, metal trigger, and the added grip safety.
XD: 9/10..........G26: 8.5/10

Fit & Finish: Both guns are extremely well put together. I think they are both about equal quality wise when it comes to construction. I call this a tie.
XD: 8/10..........G26: 8/10

Trigger: This is where it surprised me. I really like the XD trigger and find it very smooth and consistent. I find that it breaks very nicely and requires just the right amount of pressure. However, as much as I like it I found myself liking the G26 trigger just a little better. I thought it was one of the best triggers I have ever found on this type of gun and it was definitely better than any other Glock I have shot. It was was smooth, consistent, predictable, and just all around pleasant.
XD: 8/10..........G26: 9/10

Comfort: This is another category where the G26 surprised me. Full sized Glocks do not fit my hand at all. I just do not care for them. The G26 was actually very comfortable. I also like the way my XD fits my hand and find it very comfortable too but even though I think it fits my hand a little better I am giving the advantage to the G26. Partially because it has a pinky rest on the mag. If the XD had this it might be a different story but it does not so I call it like it is.
XD: 8/10..........G26: 8.5/10

Accuracy: (See targets below) I was not shooting my best today. I injured my thumb right off the bat and I seemed to be pulling slightly high and left. I am sure it was me since it seemed to be the same with both guns and a third gun I also shot today.

I did not do any real long rage shooting since I was mainly comparing these two as short range SD weapons.

Both guns did pretty well at 30ft with slow well aimed fire. The G26 actually did a little better today than the XD but I know the XD is capable of better than I did with it today. I would like to see what the G26 is capable of when I am shooting better.

At 20ft, with fast paced rapid fire, they both did pretty well but once again the G26 did a little better. The G26 seemed to drift less on me. It might have something to do with the slightly better fit in my hand thanks to the pinky rest.

At 20ft, shooting rapidly from the hip, both guns did well. They both found the target from first to last shot and pointed easily. However, the g26 really shined. The rounds all found their way closer to the center of the target and the lighter weight and slightly smaller size made it easier to handle.
XD: 8/10..........G26: 8.5/10

Pointability: I am separating this from accuracy. Both guns would do great in a vise test but this is to show how well the seemed to be an extension of my hand and how easily they were to shoot without really aiming. both guns did very well but once again the G26 was slightly better. It was effortless to handle and point.
XD: 8/10..........G26: 9/10

Flaws: I call this a "flaws" section but it really should just be called "things I would like to see changed." I will not assign scores here since it has nothing to do with performance or impression.

With the XD I really do not find any issues. I like the design, the fit, the finish and the materials. I do wish they would add a pinky rest on the short mag and maybe shrink up the trigger guard area a bit.

On the G26 I would love to see a grip safety and metal trigger but these are just my preferences.

Final Impessions: In the end these are both fine weapons. It would be hard to decide which is better. If you like an added safety and a metal trigger the XD is for you. If you want slightly smaller and lighter but just as good quality wise then the G26 is probably for you. I personally ended up shooting a little bit better with the G26 but on another day the slight advantage might swing to the other side.

I will have to say I walked away still loving my XD as much as ever and with a new found appreciation for the G26. I might not like full size Glocks but the "Baby Glock" is definitely okay by me. If you have never shot one I urge you to give it a try. It is night and day from the full size ones.

I am now very confident the G26 will serve me very well as my travel gun.

Overall Arbitrary Score ...XD: 8.14/10..........G26: 8.35/10

Last edited by Playboypenguin; April 11, 2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old April 9, 2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Playboypenguin

Glock 26 Targets

Old April 9, 2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Playboypenguin

Springfield XD-9SC Targets

Old April 9, 2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Glockeroo

Playboy.

I don't believe what I'm reading here. Should I drape you with a Darth Vader cape now or should I give you a couple more days with the G26?
Old April 9, 2008, 09:51 PM   #5
ElectricHellfire

Quote:
Should I drape you with a Darth Vader cape now or should I give you a couple more days with the G26?
ROFL!!!

Nice report there. Looks like both shot very well.
Old April 9, 2008, 09:52 PM   #6
vox rationis

Three comments:
1) I don't drink the Glock cool aid, but if you think that the XD is nicer looking than the Glock you need spectacles my friends
2) That's a damn good groop for shooting rapid fire from the hip at 20ft!!!
3) Thanks for another great range report.
Old April 9, 2008, 09:54 PM   #7
vox rationis

Quote:

I don't believe what I'm reading here. Should I drape you with a Darth Vader cape now or should I give you a couple more days with the G26?
Glockeroo be very afraid...Gaston is about to get another favorite teacher's pet!

Last edited by vox rationis; April 9, 2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old April 9, 2008, 10:09 PM   #8
Playboypenguin

Quote:
2) That's a damn good groop for shooting rapid fire from the hip at 20ft!!!
Thanks, I practice that way a lot. I think it is a very important part of SD training. You would be surprised at how easy it gets once you learn the feel of a gun.
Old April 9, 2008, 10:20 PM   #9
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
XD-9SC vs. Glock 29: The side by side shootout.
Better correct that title.
Otherwise the XD wouldn't have a chance next to the glock 29!

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; April 10, 2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old April 9, 2008, 10:32 PM   #10
grymster2007

Excellent range report, Playboy! Don't see many that well thought out and expressed. Thanks for the good read.

Oh.... yeah... hope your thumb feels better too!

Last edited by grymster2007; April 9, 2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: express sympathy for fellow GLOCK guy!
Old April 9, 2008, 11:02 PM   #11
vox rationis

Quote:
Thanks, I practice that way a lot. I think it is a very important part of SD training. You would be surprised at how easy it gets once you learn the feel of a gun.
I wish I could practice a lot of things that I can't at my local range. Point shooting, shooting from the retention position, hip shooting as you rock the gun out of the holster....gee, even drawing the gun and shooting it, not to mention rapid fire. I need to build myself some PVC pipe target frames and go to the backwoods again soon so I can do some real practicin'
Old April 10, 2008, 10:01 AM   #12
Silvanus

Nice report. I like your range reports because they usually sound very objective and unbiased.

But I gotta agree with Son Of Vlad Tepes on this point

Quote:
don't drink the Glock cool aid, but if you think that the XD is nicer looking than the Glock you need spectacles my friends
Old April 10, 2008, 10:09 AM   #13
Pappy John

Yeah, that slide balanced on top of another slide look is just the coolest!

This is where it starts... I see a 19 in PP's future... then who knows where it'll stop. The same thing happened to me a year and a half ago... hated 'em with a passion till I came across a deal I couldn't pass up. Now I've got three of the darn things and am keeping my eyes open for a reasonably priced used 29.
Old April 10, 2008, 10:18 AM   #14
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Should I drape you with a Darth Vader cape now or should I give you a couple more days with the G26?
Sure, I have always been pro-Vader. He was my favorite character when I first saw the movie in the theaters when it was first released (yes I am getting old) but I would not be slapping a Glock logo on that cape yet.

The G26 performed a small bit better but I still prefer the XD by a long shot.
Old April 10, 2008, 10:19 AM   #15
Redneck with a 40

Since I like to shoot lead bullets sometimes, and I reload, I'll stick to the XD. The chamber support is superior also, on the XD.
Old April 10, 2008, 11:32 AM   #16
bubba182

M&P 9

PBP,
I point shoot a lot with my carry weapons as that's proably how I'll shoot if ever put to the test. I've shot Glocks and SP's and actually shot the M&P 9 better than both of them, and not just by a small margin. Let's keep the comparison going, how bout shooting a M&P9 next?
Old April 10, 2008, 12:04 PM   #17
cschwanz

nice comparison report! Ill still be getting an XD as my next gun tho
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old April 10, 2008, 02:01 PM   #18
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Let's keep the comparison going, how bout shooting a M&P9 next?
Sure, PM me and I will give you my address to ship me one.
Old April 10, 2008, 02:16 PM   #19
scorpiusdeus

Sounds like a good honest review PBP. Thanks for taking the time to post such detail.
Old April 10, 2008, 02:24 PM   #20
Officer's Match

Quote:
keeping my eyes open for a reasonably priced used 29.
One of the finest service handguns in existance - incomparable to anything else on the market.
Old April 10, 2008, 03:06 PM   #21
HighValleyRanch

Pretty sure from the context that he is referring to a glock 29, not a sw 29.

But I totally agree with your estimate as if it was a glock 29!
Lots of power in a small semi.

To add to this mix, I got to shoot a friends XD .45 acp today.
I'm a glock fan, and don't like xD'x that much.
I have to admire PBP's open mindedness, so I tried to approach my XD adventure with the same spirit.

Still don't like the way they look, but the trigger on this one was not bad as all....compare to one I tried before. It had slight spongy feeling with a fairly clean break, but long reset. Much longer compared to the glock.
I would not buy one, but it was pleasant shooting.
Old April 10, 2008, 04:00 PM   #22
speedracer211

I think you would have shot better with the xd if you had the pierce finger extension like the one on the glock. At least I am far more accurate and it is much more comfortable shooting with them. THe g26's I shoot without the pinky extension are far to small for my hands and I dont have large hands. Otherwise it seems like a fair right up minus the pinky grip extension.
Old April 10, 2008, 06:15 PM   #23
Don P

G26's

I am curious as to where some of the members are getting G29's from all this
HVR , Pappy John. Maybe it's me and I missed something
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 10, 2008, 06:38 PM   #24
HighValleyRanch

22 mag:

!
Quote:
Better correct that title.
Otherwise the XD wouldn't have a chance next to the glock 29
Part 1.....He had a typo and labeled his thread XD-9SC vs. Glock 29: the.....
so I responded that he should change his title, otherwise people might think he was comparing the XD to a glock 29...No comparison!

Part 2
PappyJohn said that he already had three glock and was looking for a 29.
Officer match might have misunderstood and stated that he thought it was one of the best service guns ever made. Knowing OfficersMatch opinions of glocks, I though he (OM)was referring to the smith and wesson model 29 revolver, so I posted I thought pappy john was talking about a glock 29.

Hope that clears some it up. I might be wrong, though.

HUH????
Old April 10, 2008, 09:06 PM   #25
Officer's Match

My opinion of Glocks is they are excellent defensive/duty weapons - particularly the incomparable G29 (I was only one letter from not being ambiguous ).
Closed Thread