The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 25, 2006, 09:35 AM   #1
DasBoot

Spotting a CCW?

I often read how some people are "trained" to spot those that are carrying a concealed weapon.
Perhaps some of you "professionals" could give us some pointers on doing this.
I imagine the most obvious/visible is the bulge around the waistband(front/side/back) or under the jacket(waist/back/under the arm).
And the occassional readjustment of the gun/holster would tip me off also.
Discreetly, yet noticeably, avoiding contact with that part of the body by others?
Like if someone comes over to greet/kiss you hello, guiding their hand upward as they attempt to place their hand on your carry-side waist.
Or a slight pivot, or backing away, in the same scenario.
I suppose these are all valid to some extent.
What else?
Old November 25, 2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Gary L. Griffiths

I'm a retired Fed. No special training, ever, in spotting concealed weapons. You watch their hands when confronting them, search them when arresting them. No big deal.

FWIW, the easiest way to spot an amateur (or crook) who is carrying concealed is to watch him (or her) constantly patting the weapon to make sure it's still there/still concealed.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old November 25, 2006, 01:23 PM   #3
rwilson452

Spotting CCW

This is difficult to explain but I'll try. People that don't carry a lot. Will appear off balance is their stature or gait. They often will carry the arm on the carry side further out from the body than the non carry side. on a man their belt doesn't hang even. you look for that part of their body that is not aligned in the normal manner. Almost anyone can spot someone walking with a limp. it's like that only different. People that carry in the small of their back tend to stand very erect. People that carry all the time generally loose a lot of this but still make adjustments. Again on a man. in front carry a droop in their belt when they don't have a potbelly that would cause it. Then there is the way they are checking other people out to see if they are packing.
Old November 25, 2006, 01:34 PM   #4
Don H

Lots of people don't carry at the waist.