The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 10, 2024, 08:50 AM   #1
seanc

Felonious Stupid

There ought to be a "Felonious Stupid" law.

In summary: 2 guys keep each other sharp with "vigilance drills" which sometimes means they point a gun at the other guy. The gun "usually" has dummy rounds. 1 guy gets shot, no charges for the shooting other than child endangerment because there's kids in the room when this nonsense was going on.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...-deputies-say/

I didn't know if I should post this in the Tactics and Training section or here .
Old April 10, 2024, 11:13 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I moved this to "General Discussion." It doesn't belong in "Law & Civil Rights," and I couldn't see putting it in "Tactics and Training."
Jeepaholic
Old April 10, 2024, 06:14 PM   #3
jmr40

That sort of stuff happens more often than we realize. The cause is often listed as "gun cleaning accident."

We had a young woman training to become a LE officer here in GA several years back who was shot and killed by her instructor. It was after the class ended and she was asking for extra instruction. The instructor forgot that he had reloaded with live rounds.

I did a google search to find a link to the article. I did find it but had to sign up for a service to read it, which I declined. But in my search, I ran across 3-4 other similar incidents involving police officers accidentally shot while training.

Winston Churchill
Old April 10, 2024, 09:25 PM   #4
DT Guy

Kids, don't take tactical training advice from the Pink Panther.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old April 25, 2024, 10:52 PM   #5
GGALLIN1776

Muzzle & trigger awareness month.
Old April 25, 2024, 10:58 PM   #6
GGALLIN1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Guy View Post
Kids, don't take tactical training advice from the Pink Panther.

Larry
Or youtube "professionals" haha. The pucker factor when watching some videos is off the charts.

Off topic, but that linked content in your signature is some good stuff. Inadvertently ended up reading far past my bedtime.
Old April 26, 2024, 10:29 AM   #7
The Verminator

Ecclesiastes 4:5

The fool folds his hands and eats his own flesh.
Old April 26, 2024, 11:12 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you had to point, get a trainer firearm (dummy non-shooter) or stuff one of those a unloaded chamber flag down the barrel. Each party must inspect it to ensure that it is a non-gonne incapable of shooting.
Old April 26, 2024, 01:00 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

see if you can find the (now old) video of the cop in a school, shooting himself in the leg because he was "the only one here qualified to handle a Glock Fou-tay"

Old April 26, 2024, 05:41 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
see if you can find the (now old) video of the cop in a school, shooting himself in the leg because he was "the only one here qualified to handle a Glock Fou-tay"
DEA agent, not cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHEOSyMqug
Jeepaholic
Old April 26, 2024, 06:32 PM   #11
The Verminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Isn't a DEA agent a cop?
Old April 26, 2024, 08:01 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

It may be "Technically" inaccurate but in my view, any agent or officer, or any title working for civil authority and armed with arrest powers is a "cop".
Old April 27, 2024, 03:50 AM   #13
GGALLIN1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Depends on the arm, out on raids they're federal police, you'll see the velcro on most agencies.

Hopefully the picture link works:

https://irp.cdn-website.com/cadac795...EA-agents.webp
Old April 29, 2024, 04:14 PM   #14
Prof Young

Maybe we need a thread about avoiding complacency . . .

Let's talk about things we do to avoid becoming complacent in our hand gun handling. I've had a few scares myself including the time I got to the range, racked my "empty" gun and a cartridge ejected. YIKES!

One thing I do, when reloading, is to say "powder" aloud, when I visually check the brass to see if the powder dropped. If I go to put the finished cartridge in the tray and I don't recall saying "powder" for that specitic bullet then it goes in the reject box.

I'm thinking I should put empty chamber "flags" in all my firearms save for the HD and carry guns. All my firearms, save for the muzzle loaders are locked in a safe. The carry and HD guns are the only one's in the safe that are loaded.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old April 29, 2024, 05:16 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

One of the things I put into my "system" of reloading is after the charged cases go into the loading block, and after the visual inspection for high/low charges, or checking charge weight, I put the bullet in the mouth of the case, upside down.

This serves as a visual "flag" showing it is ready for seating. I don't have to remember if I said a word, or not.

From running a reactor, to driving a sub a few feet off the ocean floor, or flying an aircraft 5 miles up, the complex tasks, where steps must be done right, and in the right order use a lot of written checklists,

However, people can, and do get complacent even with those, and sh..tuff still happens and can still be dangerously or deadly wrong.
Old April 29, 2024, 06:14 PM   #16
georgehwbush

seeing that i only load for rifles; the process is probably a lot different, next to the last step is i weigh every charge and as soon as it's dumped into the case, the bullet is seeted on top of it. last step is the crimp if i crimp. kindof hard to mess that up but i'm sure it can be done

"if you try to make it idiot prof, they will just make a better idiot"
Old April 30, 2024, 02:32 PM   #17
Skans

Volusia County - they do stuff like this there. Home of the X-Box murders.