The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 5, 2024, 12:17 AM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

How to remove mildew from leather?

Digging through a box of gear that I haven't looked into for quite some time, I found an old (WW2 vintage, I think) mil-surp tool set that includes a really nice set of linesman's pliers and a folding knife, both in a single, heavy leather belt scabbard. The leather has a lot of mildew on it. What's the recommended way to remove the mildew and recondition the leather?
Jeepaholic
Old April 5, 2024, 10:24 AM   #2
jcj54

I have had success with leather slings by using kitchen counter cleaner containing bleach by moistenining a paper towel and gently removing the mildew then using saddle soap to clean and neatsfoot oil to preserve the leather. Make sure to use neatsfoot oil, neatsfoot compound is thinned with a petroleum oil that will damage leather. Pure neatsfoot oil will do no harm.
Old April 5, 2024, 10:02 PM   #3
tangolima

If it is the white powdery looking stuff, it may not be mildew. It is the fat in the animal skin crystalized on the surface. The name in the trade is spew. There are products to treat spew.

https://www.lttleathercare.com/spew-...hat-you-think/

Generally speaking, oil is no good for leather. Water / bleach would be worse. Wax is the proper treatment.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 6, 2024, 05:11 PM   #4
jcj54

Neatsfoot oil

Is NOT petroleum based and has been used on leather as a preservative for hundreds of years. The US Military has used it for a couple centuries with good results. Neatsfoot COMPOUND is neatsfoot oil diluted with a petroleum oil and is BAD for leather.

Last edited by jcj54; April 7, 2024 at 08:56 AM.
Old April 6, 2024, 06:50 PM   #5
tangolima

Oil makes leather soft and supple, or even floppy. Basically it becomes more flexible. It may be desirable in certain leather goods, jacket, boots, sofas, etc. However, keeping their stiffness and formed shape is very important in other leather goods, such as holster, cartridge pouches, hats etc. That's why applying oil, petroleum or not, requires caution.

I have a swedish Mauser. The previous owner "restored" it the way he liked. Stock sanded and polyurethaned. Neetfoot oil to the sling making it supple and stretchy. He basically degraded the rifle, if not destroyed it, the way I see it. Of course it was his property.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tangolima; April 6, 2024 at 06:59 PM.
Old April 7, 2024, 05:49 AM   #6
jcj54

The key with neatsfoot oil is to use it sparingly. I have multiple leather slings and holsters that I clean with saddle soap and apply neatsfoot oil sparingly and have had no issues for decades. I know a fellow who bought a leather sling for his M1A and was unhappy with its stiffness. Neatsfoot oil was suggested but he did not understand to apply it very lightly. He put the sling in a large zip lock bag and poured the neatsfoot in
and had exactly the result you described, a stretchy useless sling.
Old April 7, 2024, 05:50 AM   #7
2wheelwander

Go to Wal Mart and get some Meguire's leather cleaner and conditioner from the automotive section. Use a softer bristled brush, maybe a tooth brush in the seams. Leather is leather. Saddle soap is great, but get a dedicated cleaner first.
Old April 7, 2024, 11:28 AM   #8
Ricklin

I found an awesome old Mexican leather jacket in a house I am rehabbing. Stiff as a board from hanging for years. I used Lexol leather cleaner for car seats and it did clean it up. Still too stiff, Neatsfoot oil is next. Gorgeous jacket, I think the Neatsfoot will do the trick. Thanks for the tip about Neatsfoot compound.
Old April 8, 2024, 04:42 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

An important thing, as mentioned, is not to use too much (of the right stuff).

How much is too much? Can't say. So best to use SMALL amounts, repeating as needed until you get the result you want.