The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 15, 2024, 02:19 PM   #1
Rmasters3

H&R 999 Sportsman

I recently picked up a 999 Sportsman in excellent condition--but with the typical broken plastic yoke on the mainspring. Square butt, solid/one-piece firing pin.

I ordered a replacement all-steel mainspring rod and am still getting light strikes and failure to fire.

I ordered the complete all steel rod, retainer, and guide from Numrich and am waiting for that.

I also question the firing pin protrusion, can someone measure the firing pin striker from base to end. It doesn't look broken, nice smooth squared end.

Thanks
Old April 16, 2024, 05:11 PM   #2
jdsingleshot

I was getting a lot of failure to fires with my H&R 922. I was using Winchester white box
ammo and it was very tight in the cylinder, so much that I had to mash the cylinder on a hard flat surface to get the cartridges to clear the frame.

I made a burnisher to use by hand in the chambers and was able to make enough of a change that the shells will now almost plunk in. No more misfires. It seems that sometimes a rim was not quite bottoming on the cylinder and absorbed some of the hammer's energy be moving to close the small gap. Maybe?

Before that, I had straightened the mainspring guide, which had been slightly binding the spring. That helped but I still had misfires fairly often, until I burnished the chambers.

On the other hand, there had not been any misfires with Remington or Federal ammo.

Last edited by jdsingleshot; April 16, 2024 at 05:17 PM.
Old April 17, 2024, 04:29 AM   #3
Rmasters3

Thanks, I'll give that a look.

When you pull the trigger with the gun broken open, how far does your firing pin protrude to strike? I pull the trigger and can barely feel the strike with my finger.
Old April 17, 2024, 07:05 AM   #4
jdsingleshot

My 922 is a solid frame and the hammer nose does the work--not a separate firing pin. I haven't measure the protrusion, but it is enough to make dry-firing with an empty cylinder out of the question.
Old April 17, 2024, 08:55 AM   #5
Rmasters3

I have the same 999 as you apparently, not the model with a firing pin.]

What did you use to burnish it?
Old April 17, 2024, 10:14 PM   #6
jdsingleshot

we-e-e-e-e-ll, As it turned out, I found that the hex shank of a spade bit measured about .0005" larger than the cartridges I was using. (Diameter across the corners of the hex.)

I cut the shank of the spade bit and chucked it in an electric drill. I oiled the cylinders and rotated the drill shank slowly while moving the hex section in and out of each chamber a couple of times. Pretty crude tooling, but by the providence of God, the dimensions were right.

I don't expect everybody's shops would have the right size bits lying around.

Last edited by jdsingleshot; April 17, 2024 at 10:23 PM.