The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 9, 2005, 10:31 AM   #1
Doug.38PR

Will the detective special fit OK in pocket?

How does the Dick Special rate as a pocket carry gun as far as being able to fit it in (like in blue jeans). I know the hammer can get caught if you don't have your thumb over it and all that, but such as true with any revolver without a hammer shroud. (BTW, are there detachable hammer shrouds for the Detective Special)
Old August 9, 2005, 12:30 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think any revolver will bulge too much for carrying in "tight fittin' jeans". A better choice might be a small auto, but even the small 9mm's are pretty thick. Some of the .32's might work better. An S&W J frame is thinner than a Colt DS but still fairly thick.

For hammer shrouds, try this site:

http://wallerandson.com/hammershrouds.htm

Jim
Old August 9, 2005, 01:14 PM   #3
juliet charley

I carry a Colt Cobra--same size as a Detective Special--in my front jeans pocket with no problem at all. It fits and works well.
Old August 9, 2005, 01:51 PM   #4
progunner1957

I have carried a Colt Agent - the parkerized, ugly version of the Det. Spl. - and had no problems with concealability. As far as a pocket carry auto, look at the Kahr 9mm's - they are not much bigger than a .32 auto, the 9mm is alot more potent than the .32 auto round.
Old August 9, 2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Psalm 144:1

Don`t have a Dick

Special, but I`ve always pocket-carried five shot Smith clones in the right rear pants pocket. A one size larger t-shirt(untucked) or an unbuttoned overshirt and you`re good to go!
Old August 9, 2005, 11:27 PM   #6
d_mikey

front jean pocket carry is tight. makes the hammer problem much worse. I also no longer have a butt (common in middle aged men) so the weight is an issue too. (Hard to keep the pants up.) Works great in a jacket pocket, or even in a decent weight suit coat. Heavy weight Khakis with a good size pocket or cargo pants are a possibility. Use a good belt.
Mikey
Old August 10, 2005, 03:34 AM   #7
shoots awe lots

You can buy aftermarket hammer shroud for the dec special, when I buy a holster for my sp101 I also get a holster that will fit my dec special (same size) same with Kahr,s fit 1911 holsters nicely.
Old August 10, 2005, 06:25 AM   #8
dogwielder

Here's a photo of an Agent in a Bob Mika pocket holster in my jeans:

You can just see the service grips poking out the top. Those jeans aren't tight by any means, of course. I got a Desantis Nemesis that I've tried as well, and it produces much the same effect, but isn't as thick. With my shirt down over the pocket, it works well.
Old August 28, 2005, 02:29 PM   #9
Doug.38PR

Quote:
You can just see the service grips poking out the top. Those jeans aren't tight by any means, of course. I got a Desantis Nemesis that I've tried as well, and it produces much the same effect, but isn't as thick. With my shirt down over the pocket, it works well.
I just got a Detective Special last week. I am wearing blue jeans right now and I found the perfect way to carry it. I don't know how to take and post pictures like you and others in here but I'll just describe what I'm doing.

I do see your grips showing a little at the opening of your right pocket. Maybe my pockets are a little deeper because I really haven't had that problem on this particular pair.

However, a better way I have discovered is to carry it the way I did as a boy 12-15 years ago whole "playing guns" with friends. Everybody else would carry toy automatics like the 1911 and the Berretta, I carried a little plastic "tootsie toy" snub nose that lookedl like a combination of a 2 inch Detective Special with a Python rib at the top. (you know, the kind that would break after firing it, but even though the action didn't work you could still point it and go BWHAWWW! I actually think I saw that little plastic toy sitting in my junk drawer back at home recently ) I carry my Detective Special with way I used to run around with that gun (I wore jeans all the time back then). I would carrying it in my LEFT pocket backwards and reach in and get it with my RIGHT hand crossdrawing it. The pocket opening is higher on the front end of your pocket so it will conceal your grips fully. Don't wear a pocket holster it just gives elevates the gun in your pocket causing the gun to stick out. With an empty jeans pocket your DS will be fine and won't show.
Carrying this way also makes it easier to reload. You can keep your speedloaders in your right pocket. THat way you don'thave to switch hands in order to speedload your gun. You run out, open the cylinder with both hands let your left hand take up the gun and eject the cartridges and then get your speedloader out with your right and, load it, snap it shut with your left hand thumb take the gun back with your right haand and keep going. I can do this about as fast, maybe faster, as anyone can reload an automatic. (of course it is easier to do it with a medium frame revolver like an Official Police that does not have massive grips) grips sometimes will get in the way of the speedloader when you are acting fast, but not on a medium frame revolver that has factory issue walnut grips.

Doug
Old August 28, 2005, 02:49 PM   #10
CraigJS

Anyone ever use the Smart Carry, over the jewels IWB holster? Besides makeing you look more manly , how did it work? I'm thinking of carrying a Tarus M85 with CT grips in one..
CraigJS
Old August 29, 2005, 05:35 PM   #11
shoots awe lots

Doug calm down, chances are if you get in a combat situation are very slim. The first 6 shots are what is going to save your bacon, most conferences happen within 10 feet. Remember, focus on where your first six are gonna go and you should,nt have to reload.
Old August 30, 2005, 10:17 PM   #12
Doug.38PR

Quote:
Doug calm down, chances are if you get in a combat situation are very slim. The first 6 shots are what is going to save your bacon, most conferences happen within 10 feet. Remember, focus on where your first six are gonna go and you should,nt have to reload.
Oh agreed. I want to make 1 shot count. I don't buy into the movie (Lethal weapon, Matrix, etc.) of spray of pray or unloading 15 bullets into a guy's chest before he drops like Mel and Keanu (that's why I don't feel the need to carry a high capacity auto). Just just in case I ever need plenty of extra ammo and be able to reload as quick as possible with the least probability of error in case I am ever under attack by more than one or two opponents or a "gang situation" (or if the US is invaded one day like in Red Dawn ).
Old August 31, 2005, 04:21 AM   #13
shoots awe lots

snubby

Doug pick up Ed Lovette,s book THE SNUBBY. makes for very interesting reading written by one who has carried and studyed the art of ccw.
Old August 31, 2005, 11:31 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

It depends on your pants, the cut, how fat you are, etc.

The ONLY way you'll know for sure if a DS fits in YOUR pants is to try it out.
Old September 2, 2005, 02:49 PM   #15
The Fed

There are many people that

think carrying without the pocket holster is bad. I use one on a Smith 337 to keep the gun clean and the barrell down. And it makes it print less since the shape is smoothed out. And it makes it harder for the gun to fall out of your pocket.
Old September 2, 2005, 03:01 PM   #16
News Shooter

I have a S & W Model 38 bodyguard

It has a shrouded hammer. I tried carrying in my pocket without a holster. I'm middle aged too without a butt and it rode my pants down on the right hand side and within a few weeks had seriously damaged the inside of my pockets. I got a cheap pocket holster, but it isn't much better. I'm seriously thinking of a .380 auto or .32 revolver that really is pocket carry. I'm not one of those who believes .50 cal is necessary. But that's just me