The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 13, 2001, 04:34 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

I think these have been done before, but let's go over 'em again.

What does your signature and nickname mean? Where'd you get the idea for 'em?

-Nightcrawler: NOT, from the X-Men or whatever. I got it off of Half Life: They Hunger, Part II.

-My sig changes. The current one comes from the manual of Delta Force: Land Warrior, by Novalogic.
Old April 13, 2001, 04:43 PM   #2
Porter-Glockwell

Porter-Glockwell is the combination of my favorite pistol (Glocks) and my hero, Porter Rockwell. Just in case any of you don't know who Porter Rockwell was, he was the famed Mormon gunfighter/lawman of the American west. He killed more people than Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson combined. He regularly carried 5 or 6 guns. 2 colt navy revolvers, 2 Colt navy's cut down into snubbies in his pockets, and a sawed off double barrel "whippit" shotgun under his coat. awesome guy. Looked like a lunatic too.

Old April 13, 2001, 05:15 PM   #3
Flattop

My username is pretty easy to identify with. It's my hair cut style. Also, it signifies the first ship I was assigned to, USS NIMITZ, which is an aircraft carrier. Carriers are commonly referred to as "flattops". The other nickname for carriers "Birdfarm" didn't seem to fit, I live in the burb's not on a farm.
Old April 13, 2001, 05:18 PM   #4
mobias

Mobias was the name of my junior high school band director's dog. My signature comes from the movie "Bowfinger", a little seen movie but very, very funny. I think it is Eddie Murphy's best ever. Check it out.
Old April 13, 2001, 05:22 PM   #5
PJ11B3VF7

My name is my first e-mail address from when I first got online. Being an infantry type I needed something to remember easily (Remember I'm an infantryman and we don't do too well with multasyllabic words )

PJ=my initials
11B3VF7=my MOS = light infantry SSG, Airborne Ranger and Pathfinder qualified. Yeah, I know I went overboard
Old April 13, 2001, 05:36 PM   #6
Monkeyleg

It references a very large and hairy birthmark I grew just in time for co-ed gym classes in high school. I always thought it would make a great title for the book I would write, but I guess I'll have to settle for using it here.

Dick
Old April 13, 2001, 05:46 PM   #7
Bulldog

Old high school nickname that stuck.

You can guess on the sig.
Old April 13, 2001, 05:59 PM   #8
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Bulldog: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood"?

'Lawdog' is Western slang for Peace Officer. For some reason my perfectly good Celtic name trips up most people in North Texas, so "lawdog" or just plain "'dog" it is.

The signatures generally come from the classic Faerie tales.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old April 13, 2001, 06:05 PM   #9
Christopher II

My parents gave me my screenname shortly before I was born.

The "II" is because some other Christopher got here first.

My .sigs vary frequently, ranging from musical lyrics to snippets of esoteric philosophy. I'm currently between quotes.

Later,
Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old April 13, 2001, 06:14 PM   #10
iso1

Nick is composed of the initials of the company I'm assigned to and then my occupation.

I..... Security Officer. The 1 means I was the first here (after the supervisor).

Sigs: first is self-explanatory.
Number 2 comes from a bumper sticker.
Number 3 comes from the Rules of Combat.
Old April 13, 2001, 06:42 PM   #11
thumbtack

The day before I signed up with TFL, Thumper and I went to the range and we were at the 15 yard pistol range. I setup two thumbtacks and I was able to get both within three shots with my Ruger P89. Thumper tried and was unsuccessful(but came very close), so I choose Thumbtack as bragging rights.
Old April 13, 2001, 07:14 PM   #12
FratBoyTX

If y'all couldn't guess....I'm in a fraternity (Chi Phi, the oldest and still the best), and I'm in Texas (Dallas. Can't find a quote I like enough to make it my signature quite yet.
Old April 13, 2001, 07:15 PM   #13
inGobwetrust

My last name is Gobbi. My nickname is Gob or Gobs.

[Edited by inGobwetrust on 04-13-2001 at 11:45 PM]
Old April 13, 2001, 07:18 PM   #14
CastleBravo

Castle Bravo was the code name for a U.S. hydrogen bomb test that made a much bigger boom than expected.

C.B.
Old April 13, 2001, 07:42 PM   #15
pax

My nick is "pax," which is the Latin word for "peace." I believe that without responsible people bearing arms, no nation experiences peace for very long.

I've used variants on this nick since I first came online, five or six years ago. Never knew about the anti-gun rights organization by that name until last year sometime, after I started reading TFL. After learning about them, I considered changing my nick. But, doggonit, it's my nick. Why should I let them take over this perfectly good word?

pax
Old April 13, 2001, 07:44 PM   #16
fmjcafe

fmjcafe....eat lead.Kinda sings,don`t it?
Old April 13, 2001, 08:08 PM   #17
Ranger Grant

"Ranger Grant" is my SASS alias. I chose the signature because it "fit" my beliefs, and I didn't see it used on any firearm site I visited.
Old April 13, 2001, 08:17 PM   #18
Cyrgelman

The the letters of the goofy screenname "Cyrgelman" comprise all the letters of my (real) first, middle, and last names. The signature "Cy" is my online nickname.
Old April 13, 2001, 08:25 PM   #19
Horny Toad

Nickname

"Horny Toad" was my dad's CB handle years ago. I always got a kick out of it, so I adopted it in his memory.
The sig? Just proud.

Horny Toad

We Don't Need No Steenking 2nd Amendment

Old April 13, 2001, 09:53 PM   #20
Jim V

Nickname: Easy, it is my name.

Signature: The first line is from THE WIND AND THE LION, the second line is bastardized Latin for "Don't f*** with us." and the 3rd line is the url for a web site where I'm a moderator. Ya'll drop by, ya hear....
Old April 13, 2001, 09:56 PM   #21
AnotherPundit

All in all, I think I show a singular lack of imagination.
Old April 13, 2001, 10:22 PM   #22
Paul K

Well, my nickname stands for my real name, which is Paul! How bout that?
But serously, my dad has had an AOL account forever (we got a cable modem, and i dont know why he stil has AOL) annyways, i got a SN, and i swear it took me half and hour just to think of the right one. i finaly came up with F1 USP45 . USP45 is my fav gun, and F1 is my fav camera (Cannon F1, not Nikon F1)
Old April 13, 2001, 10:39 PM   #23
AR-10

My nickname is comprised of the letters in my first and last....wait a minute. I'm an armchair comman....oops. Oh yeah. Bought an Armalite last fall and liked it. Took it out and shot it last week. Still like it.

My signature De Jour,when I use it, came from a refrigerator magnet. It's very deep.

Carl Gemny?
Lem Grancy?
Lance Grym? I'll figure it out.
Old April 13, 2001, 10:42 PM   #24
swestby

swestby is of course for Steve Westby.
I've been thinking about a signature for awhile, finally decided on 'Rocketman' because it relates to another of my expensive hobbies (so says 'She Who Must be Obeyed'), high power sport rocketry. Anybody else do that on this board?
And we tangle with the BATF now and again in HPR as well.

Old April 13, 2001, 11:14 PM   #25
Doc Hudson

Origins of Nickname

My Mom started calling me Doc when I was a kid. I guess she wanted an MD in the family. She was disappointed in that ambition.

When I was in my early 20's I used to hang out at a friend's gunshop. One of my favorite guns at the time was a reproduction .36 cal. M-1851 Navy Colt. I shot daily and was pretty danged good.

Anyway, one day just after getting out of the hospital with a bad case of bronchial pneumonia, I was hanging out at DeVon's shop when a guy came in with brand new S&W M-66 with a 6" barrel. The guy was bragging about how accurate and powerful the gun was. I smelled an easy mark.

I offered a bet that I could outshoot him with the old charcoal burner on my hip. After his brags, he could not back down in front of half a dozen guys.

We went out behind the store and set up two sets of targets, six soda cans each. I let the sucker go first. He left three cans standing even after taking lots of aiming time. Then I capped the sixth chamber and started shooting.

When the smoke cleared, all of my targets were knocked off the rail. Just then, I started coughing. Deep racking coughs that sounded as if I were going to cough my lungs up.

As I leaned against the building trying to regain my breath, my opponent pointed at me and said to our gallery,"Just look at the sonovabitch! Not only does he shoot like Doc Holliday, he coughs like him too!!" He never called me anything but Doc Holliday after that and other people took it up.

When I started writing a column at http://www.earp.com several years ago, reviving the old nickname just seemed natural.

Regards,
Doc Hudson