The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 10, 2006, 05:17 PM   #1
superpelly

self-defense... Taurus .45 colt/.410 pistol

My buddie is selling his Taurus .45 colt/.410 pistol (400.00) ($350.00 to me, if I want it) Don't know much about this revolver. Is this a ok price? Are they worth the hype?
Here's the gun
http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

Last edited by superpelly; October 11, 2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old October 11, 2006, 09:18 AM   #2
superpelly

I bought it. Fired it a few times with .410 shot and wow! Talk about a good self defense weapon at close range. Just point and shoot and you will destroy the target (Bad guy) in front of you with no problem. The recoil is really not that bad, like a .357 on steroids. I think i'm goin to like this revolver.
Old October 12, 2006, 12:34 AM   #3
gvf

.410?

Did you use .410 slugs? Or some other .410 load? How would it be in terms of collateral damage - i.e., what kind of spread and at what distance would it be likely some of the shot would spread beyond the attacker?
Thanks
Old October 12, 2006, 09:58 AM   #4
superpelly

I just purchased it a few days ago and have only shot it 10 times. I used some # 4 shot at 5 yards away and made a pattern the size of a paper plate. I don't know if you can shoot slugs through it. Maybe rifled slug,s will have to check into it. I was not on the market for this type of revolver but $350 was a good price for almost brand new revolver and I have never owned a 45 colt either.

Last edited by superpelly; October 12, 2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old October 12, 2006, 06:22 PM   #5
22-rimfire

I have been intrigued with that revolver. Did you get the stainless or blued model? Adjustable sights? I looked hard at one in the spring and opted to keep my money in my pocket. The price new was $350 where I am at that time at a regular gun shop. Your friend did well.
Old October 12, 2006, 06:45 PM   #6
deanadell

You got a good price. It's over $50.00 at my local gun shop.

I honestly, for the life of me, can find a justifiable need for this revolver......but every time I walk in there, I am drawn to it in the case like a moth to a flame
Old October 12, 2006, 08:29 PM   #7
nagib otayek

410 length.

Forgive my ignorance, but do 410 shot shells fit in a 45 chamber without alteration?
Old October 12, 2006, 09:17 PM   #8
superpelly

I don't think so, the cylinder are much longer on this model revolver and Colt 45's cylinder 's are shorter. Sombody please correct me if i'm wrong. I dont have a colt .45 so I can't tell you the difference in inchs regarding the cylinders.

Also, my buddie purcahsed the revolver 4 months ago, he said he fired less then 25 rounds through it. Its in perfect condition.
Old October 12, 2006, 09:33 PM   #9
22-rimfire

Most do not question whether or not the 2.5" 410 shells work in the revolver. The question has always been whether or not the revolver shot 45's very accurately since there is a distance the the bullet has to travel before getting to the rifled barrel. Let us know how it shoots 45's. I also thought No. 4's would be about perfect in that revolver for shot shooting. Wonder how it does at 15 and 25 yds?

I still would like to have one of those. I may just make a trip to the gun shop and do some browsing. You did okay on the revolver. When you buy from friends, you aren't necessarily trying to squeeze every penny out of the seller.
Old October 12, 2006, 09:53 PM   #10
superpelly

Its Stainless, The Revolver is the one pictured here (open Link)
http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

I plan on shooting some .45 colt ammo this weekend. I was also wondering about the bullet travel through the cylinder
Old October 12, 2006, 09:57 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but do 410 shot shells fit in a 45 chamber without alteration?
Yes.

I have one, and bought it with high hopes of accuracy with the .45 colt (since other tauri revolvers I've had and do have shoot great), as that is the main reason I got it - I like the small frame and the .45 colt round, and most other Tauri in this caliber are ported and I didn't want porting.

Anyhoo, I got terrible accuracy with the first 2 kinds of .45 colt I tried. So I'm quite disappointed so far. However, before I give up, I'm going to try loading some .452 cast bullets into .460 S&W cases, with .45 colt loadings, for less bullet jump, and good rifling engagement, to see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, you'll see mine for sale for about the same price (or less). Or actually, since it's pretty cool with the .410 feature, I'll probably keep it as an office defense gun (thin walls), or a dedicated bowfishing-in-the-snake-infested-sloughs gun.
Old October 12, 2006, 10:19 PM   #12
superpelly

First Freedom, What ammo did you use to get your terrible accuracy? I will try to stay way from that and try somthing different. What kind of groupings were you getting? Thanks
Old October 13, 2006, 01:37 AM   #13
gvf

A Thought and a Shooting Review I Found

Review I saw that sounded interesting. This guy did apparently use slugs. What intrigues me is perhaps, in a self-defense (including CCW) mode, a way of using a .410 in some non-lethal but damaging load as a first shot - can't imagine it wouldn't give an assailant pause for a second, a .410 from a few yards with a damaging load - "shock and awe"- then in the pause sharpen the aim: he runs or falls fine, he keeps coming or there's any doubt: you fire the second shot ( and more) in .45lc.

"The Taurus 4410
by alandp on Mon 21 Aug 2006 05:03 PM CDT | Permanent Link | Cosmos

Way back last September I mentioned a new Taurus revolver that uses either the .44-40 or the .410 shotshell. I had just read about it in the new Gun Digest and it wasn't yet on Taurus' website at the time. The writer in the Digest had it slightly wrong, it actually shoots either the .410 or the .45 Colt, and it has since been added to the website here.

Back in June, Jim Shepherd of Shooting Wire got one of these guns and sent a review of it in his regular email. He doesn't have a web archive for these emails yet, but I asked him today via email about this, and he said he had no problem with posting the emails, as long as credit is given. So here is his review of the Taurus 4410, all credit due to Jim Shepherd of Shooting Wire.

Photo from Taurus website. Call It What You Like...

Occasionally, I take advantage of the opportunity to try out new shooting products. Not being a ballistics expert, a gunsmith, or even a high-level competitive shooter, my reviews omit the confusing tables of chronograph results, ballistic tables and powder blends. I also am totally uninterested in writing long dissertations on the history of various calibers.

In other words, I consider myself the "average guy" and look at new products in that light. If they require specialized educations, multiple lessons for accurate operation, or excessive maintenance, I'm not really interested. When it comes to firearms, I'm Frank Lloyd Wright - I believe form follows function. I appreciate the artistry of fine engraving and the beauty of fine wood firearms furniture, but I'm a nuts-and-bolts shooter.

That's why I've been waiting -impatiently- for the arrival of a new revolver from Taurus.

Bob Morrison, Taurus' CEO, has been telling me about a new revolver for both the trail or the home. Personally, I'm skeptical at the idea of a multi-purpose firearm. Afield, I'm torn between carrying a heavy-hitting revolver (big animals) or a small shotgun (snakes). Usually, I wind up carrying a .22 caliber revolver with at least two cylinders full of snake-shot and hoping I don't run across a "significant" animal.

Late last week, the gun store called to tell me my package had arrived.

What had arrived was the new Taurus Model 4410 - a revolver that accommodates either .45 Long Colt or .410 shot shells.

The .45 Long Colt cylinder is elongated in order to handle 2 1/2" .410 shotgun shells - giving it a passing resemblance to a flare gun.

Built on Taurus' compact revolver frame, the 4410 is capable of packing stopping power into a 32-ounce package. With Taurus' "ribber" grips (ribbed rubber), it has been designed to fire the .45 Long Colts or .410 slugs without administering excessive punishment to the shooter.

With that combination of user-friendly, target-unfriendly rounds, the 4410 offers the stopping power of a heavy centerfire round combined with the snake-blasting capabilities of the relatively-mild .410 shotgun load.

With that in mind, I happily headed out to the range to see just what the little revolver could do. Morrison had already told me they had achieved some "spectacular" test results on targets at car-jacking distances. Since car-jacking to me implies "up close and personal" I tried the gun at a variety of close ranges.

It didn't disappoint. As expected, the 250-grain .45 Long Colt rounds (from my cowboy action pistol) delivered good results, blithely ventilating the requisite water-filled plastic jugs with very good accuracy. With the .410 shot shells (#6 shot), the little pistol was more than capable of zapping water hose (my snake simulation) at ranges up to twenty feet. Beyond that, I didn't figure there was any need to be shooting snakes. I didn't figure any closer was worth risking a richochet of shot from the hose.

When I decided to load.410 slugs, the 4410 demonstrated awesome stopping power. At eight feet, the slugs didn't ventilate my plastic jugs, they eviscerated them. That "little .410" round in slugs roughly equivalent to three rounds of 9mm - simultaneously delivered. The .9mm pistol may be criticized for a lack of stopping power, but there's no doubt that three .36 caliber slugs deliverd simultaneously packs a serious wallop.

As promised, the 4410 is a serious option to consider if you want home defense without the considerations of over-penetration and unmanageable power. With a mix of shotshells, slugs and .45 Long Colts, it offers everything from warning capability to lethal stopping power.

The 4410 certainly isn't the only handgun offering that choice of .45/.410 rounds. One well-known option is the Bond derringer. It's a pocket cannon, but candidly, I have problems bringing it to bear accurately - that's no fault of the Bond, it's my presbyopia.

The 441-even in the 2 1/2 inch barrel length I tested, let me put the .410s on target quickly and group the .45 Long Colts respectably out to ten yards -perfectly adequate for either a personal defense weapon or a trail gun.

Taurus' website suggests taking a case of .410s out to the range and trying it on clay targets. Frankly, I think that's beyond my abilities. As a farm boy, it would certainly have been useful - and fun - when evicting rats from corn cribs.

The 4410 will need a bit more cleaning than the average revolver. Due to the long cylinder, cowboy load 45s will leave residue in the cylinder and the .410s mean the barrel needs a good cleaning on a regular basis as well.

Available in a short (2 1/2inch) or long (6 1/2 inch) barrel lengths, the 4410 offers the choice of blue or stainless finishes, and is a double/single action. The MSRP is $469 (blue) or $531 (stainless).

A note of caution: since it is a handgun capable of firing shotshells, the 4410 isn't legal in California.
Thanks again to Jim Shepherd and Shooting Wire.
Posted to:
Main Page
Gun Reviews"
Old October 16, 2006, 08:37 AM   #14
MADISON

Taurus .45/410 pistol in 2 inch

Taurus .45/410 pistol in 2 inch.
I can shoot PPC with full charge .41 Magnum rounds!
It would be a nice CCW gun to carry but loaded with only two .45/410 shells. The rest ought to be .45 rounds.
Old October 16, 2006, 11:53 AM   #15
FirstFreedom

superpelly,

I used Magtech and some professional-looking gunshow reloads - both jacketed 250 grain loads. Maybe using a cast bullet will be better for accuracy.

Groups were about 6-7" at 20 yards (60 feet) - just terrible - more like patterns than groups. At just seven yards, they were in excess of 2" for 5 shots - very disappointing.

As I say, I'm not giving up yet - I just bought some .45 colt dies, and can use these on .460 SW cases, to make up some loads - gonna try that first with .451 and 452 (both) cast bullets, and if that doesn't work, give up and use it only for shotshells. Dedicated snake or office defense gun, as I say.
Old December 3, 2006, 04:44 AM   #16
wildcater

wildcater

I recently purchased a tarus .410/45 long colt new from a gun shop in san antonio TX , I love it ! and so does my wife , we live out in the country and needed something for texas diamond back rattle snakes , the recoil is extremly managable even for my wife , I had got her a snake charmer .410 but it was to cumbersome we have already killed one snake . ours is stainless steel . may never shoot .45s If you want something for snake protection , this it the ticket .
Old December 3, 2006, 07:08 PM   #17
suemarkp

Hey First Freedom, did you ever get 460 S&W cases to work? I don't think they will, as the chamber should not allow that case to fit (could blow up the gun if you put a real 460 load in there). I think there is a step in the cylinder just past where a 45 Colt case is to about .460 diameter. This will allow a 410 shell to chamber (which has an OD about about .460) but prevent a 454 Casull or 460 S&W from chambering. Remember the brass adds diameter to the bullet, so the mouth OD of 45 Colt, 454, and 460 are all around .470". This .460" section of the cylinder is a little sloppy for a .452 bullet but perhaps they shrink it down more to .454 or so at the very end of the chamber (where the 410 case mouth would expand in to).

You can use longer brass like 444 Marlin and 460, but you'll have to size it with a 444 die to make it fit the chamber. This will prevent use of .451 bullets but could contain shot. A .429 bullet could be used, but it won't engage the rifling, so that wouldn't be a good idea. A .41 bullet in a 410 wad may somewhat grip the rifling, but I doubt it would work all that well either. And don't ever chamber something like this in a real .410 shotgun, as the bore in those is about .400 and the barrel would split or blow.
Old December 4, 2006, 05:12 AM   #18
bennnn

Hey superpelly, this is an honest question and not some hazing...

But from reading your posts, I have to ask.. You do know this revolver is chambered for .45 LONG colt right? NOT .45acp.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/45Colt.htm
Old December 4, 2006, 11:08 AM   #19
The Real Wyatt

I do NOT recommend these loads for YOUR revolvers

I've had mine for 'bout a year now. I really like this gun and so does my wife; she stole it from me, laid claim to it and now it lives on her bedside table although she will allow me to take it out and exercise it evey once in a while. I feel that this revolver is almost ideal for home defense when loaded with double-aught buckshot.

When I first got the 44-ten I was disappointed with the accuracy when shooting .45 Colt ammo. It worked great with shotshells shooting 00 buck or .410 slugs (can't see any reason to shoot any other shotshells than those two) but gave sub-par groups with .45 Colt.

After I owned the gun for a few months I decided to try and work up a load that might work better in that gun as I really like the results I get from my Blackhawks. I load really hot (255 gr @ ~1500 fps) for the Blackhawks so I bought some colored ammo boxes, red (hot) for the Rugers and blue (cool) for the Taurus. I have no idea what would happen if I fed one of the Ruger loads to the Taurus and I surely don't want to find out.

Anyway, to get to the point. When fed 255 gr Oregon Trail semi wadcutters over enough Unique to push 'em at ~1050 fps, the Taurus shoots every bit as good as my Rugers handheld at 25 yds and makes 5 shot cloverleafs at 7 yds. I'm very pleased with this gun now. A cuppla days ago whilst out shooting with my youngest son I hit a milk jug at a measured 60 yds 3 our of 5 shots. Both of us realised that we had long underestimated this fine revolver.

Oh, one other caveat. My 44-ten absolutely HATES Sellier & Belot triple-aught buck shotshells. They cause cylinder lockup and have to be pounded out of the chambers with a wooden dowel. I'd strongly recommend that you DO NOT shoot these rounds in your revolver.
Old December 5, 2006, 12:11 PM   #20
superpelly

BENNN, Yes , knew that.
Old August 22, 2007, 05:54 PM   #21
ursavus.elemensis

I'm thinking of getting one of these for the bedside table for overnight home defense. Can I get some long term reviews from people who own these guns?
thanks
Old November 18, 2008, 03:34 AM   #22
EZ1

tarus 45cl/410

I think the tarus 45/410 will work great for all around close defense including snakes"also 2 legged" if loaded with 1st #8shot,2nd &3rd #000buck 4th &5 with slugs. 1st puts them to jumping and jecking,2 &3rd are triple hits about 38 or 9mm the last are about heavy 45s. just forget the 45colt long, 410 slugs will have more energy. or load the last 2 with a longer 45 cal pistol cartrige.

Last edited by EZ1; November 18, 2008 at 03:44 AM.