The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2002, 06:33 PM   #1
mvdemarco

Ammoman deal?

Eric the Ammoman has a new type of 9mm ball ammo listed on his site. It is listed as 9mm 115gr Norma ammo in battle packs. Anyone have any experiance with this type of ammo? Never heard of it, but the price is very attractive and I'm giving it serious thought. Need input.

Mike
Old February 9, 2002, 07:19 PM   #2
sjg26

I hear NORMA is respected in rifle/silhouette circles-never used it in pistol.

Beware the Berdan primers if you reload brass------I recall mention its not like Boxer primers and will give the brass collectors headaches.

But at $115/1000 thats a sweet deal..may get some myself.
Old February 9, 2002, 07:22 PM   #3
mvdemarco

Just ordered 1000 rounds. No need to worry about reloading, I only do .45 and .357. For $115, I'm willing to try it!
Old February 9, 2002, 08:02 PM   #4
GSB

I'd also be interested in field reports. I'm planning to place an order with ammoman shortly, and was intending to buy Federal. But if this stuff is good, I will rethink that.
Old February 9, 2002, 08:31 PM   #5
mvdemarco

Will do GSB.
Old February 9, 2002, 09:07 PM   #6
mvdemarco

I sent Eric an email 2 hours ago asking about this particular ammo and he has already gotten back to me and answered my questions. That is why I buy all my range ammo from him! I'll still post a range report.

Mike
Old February 9, 2002, 09:38 PM   #7
Extremist

A good deal yes, but note that it is Berdan primed so it can't be reloaded. But, neither can CCI/Blazer, which can be had as low a $3.99/box ($80/case) here in Dallas at Academy Sports (I've heard, but not seen that Oshman's is beating that price at $3.79/box). I'd sure buy this stuff before I bought and shot Wolf or Big Bear Russian fodder.

For reloadable, Widener's has the Greek 124gr stuff for $122/1000 with free shipping at http://www.wideners.com/shopping/car...ls&item=GA9124

Ammoman is certainly good, I've bought a few cases from him.

Looking forward to the range report on the Norma stuff. They make an excellent 124gr +P 9mm load that I've never found, but some gun rags have used it to test and the P99 really likes it!

James
NRA H-R-S-HFS-RO, NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
Old February 10, 2002, 10:21 AM   #8
Johnny Rad

Anyone know if Academy Sports in Dallas or Oshman's ships ammo to out of state buyers?! Before I read Extremist's post, I thought $100/case was a great deal.
Old February 10, 2002, 03:41 PM   #9
Extremist

Don't believe they do, but for a small handling fee....

James

P.S. Personally, I don't know how they are doing it, as from the brand new dealer price list I got from the Shot Show for CCI/Blazer, the WHOLESALE cost on 115gr FMJ Blazer is $6.91/box. But that's high, I know that Natchez frequently has it on sale for $4.99/box. But $3.99 a box! Incredible deal.
Old February 10, 2002, 03:49 PM   #10
Extremist

Don't believe they do, but for a small handling fee....

James
Old February 11, 2002, 12:22 AM   #11
Blackhawk

Norma is an old and highly respected Swedish firm that supplies the military as well as civilian markets. As far as I know, their stuff is top notch. The Berdan primer is actually better from a performance standpoint than a Boxer because of its multiple ignition plumes. Reloading would be a headache, though.

For fun, go to their website at http://www.norma.cc/ and click the ballistics link in the left column. It opens up a really slick JavaScript page that's quite educational about handgun and rifle ballistics. You can plug in numbers for your favorite load to see what its ballistic characteristics will be.

The two 9mm loads Norma lists are both for 123gr bullets, so I don't know what Eric's selling as far as current production goes. Since it's in "battle packs," it might be military surplus of an indeterminate age. I'd be inclined to try some from him, but I'm looking forward to your follow up report.
Old February 24, 2002, 05:27 PM   #12
mvdemarco

The verdict is in on the Norma ammo. Very good stuff! As good of a range ammo as S&B, Winchester, American Eagle etc... Fired 100 rds. through a Ruger P89 today. No malfunctions, accurate, no smoke and alittle on the hot side. Would definitely recommend!

Mike
Old February 24, 2002, 05:32 PM   #13
Blackhawk

Thanks, Mike!

Time to give Eric an order....