The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 3, 2001, 02:13 AM   #1
TCW

scoping a Mini 14 ranch...red dot?

I'm thinking of putting a red dot scope on a mini 14. Any try this? Which type do you recommend (they have the longer/skinny and short/fat...sorry for my lack of technical knowledge! ). Maybe a low-powered scope would be better. The gun is for plinking and TSHTF.

Thanks!
Old July 3, 2001, 03:22 AM   #2
DougB

I'm also looking for a red-dot for may stainless ranch rifle. I read somewhere (here?) that some of the Tascos work well with the standard Ruger rings (although you apparently have to grind a little off one of the rings). I'm not sure which one was used. I'm guessing that either the PDP3ST or Accudot 30mm would work (I called Ruger and am trading my 1" rings for 30mm). The PDP5 (I think) sounds good (it has an adjustable dot size, not just brightness), but I think it has some odd tube size (32mm?). Anyway, I'm interested in hearing any other suggestions. I would like to be able to use the Ruger 30mm rings if possible.

Doug
Old July 3, 2001, 08:51 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I always just stuck a K-4 on mine. A low-powered variable would serve equally well. The red dot would work better for TSHTF (faster target acquisition), but that's a much lower probablility of use. For tin cans and varmints to 150 or 200 yards, I'd go with a conventional scope. (If I really worried about TSHTF, I'd have a red dot and mount stored away.)

$0.02,

Art
Old July 3, 2001, 10:58 AM   #4
saands

I got one of the BSA 30mm Red Dots and a mount for my non-ranch mini-14. I think no magnification is the ticket for this gun ... a higher powered scope will just make you mad that you can't hit a beer can at 100 yards with every shot! I like the red dot. I noticed that there is now a model with a push button switch ... that is a true improvement as it would allow you to dial in the right intensity and just go from on to off. A remote switch like those on some pistol lasers would be even better so that you could just light it up when your finger was in the trigger ... the batteries would last a really long time that way. Mine does like batteries ... but most of my shooting is in full sun so I am running it at pretty high intensities.

Bottom line ... I like mine.

Saands
Old July 3, 2001, 11:12 AM   #5
Halffast

I have a Leupold Gilmore on mine. I replaced a 3 to 9 compact scope with it. It is the 1" tube and it fits right into the rings that come with the ranch model. It has a 2 MOA dot and it works great. I like it much better than a scope. You can buy them for $159 from www.bearbasin.com . I also bought a cheapo Simmons for $30 from www.sportsmansguide.com to put on a .22. It also has a 1" tube and works pretty good for the price. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has a 4 MOA dot. But, for 30 bucks, it might let you try out a red dot before spending a lot of money. You could also buy an other set of ring and switch back and forth from scope to red dot. I have taken my scopes off of my ranch rifle and when I put them back on, they were within an inch or so at 100 yards. HTH and Good Luck. Let us know what you do and how it comes out.

David

Shameless Personal Plug - Read "Lights Out" A SHTF Novel in progress, by me.

Molon Labe!
Old July 3, 2001, 11:53 AM   #6
Karsten

Not that I have a Mini 14 but a lot of Ar's and so others. I would say a 30or 42MM BSA with the dail adjustment, NOT THE PUSH BUTTON.

Karsten
Old July 3, 2001, 09:57 PM   #7
taco

I have a pair of Ruger Ranch Rifles with Red Dot sights. First one has the Tasco PDP3 mounted on Ruger 30mm rings but it does require that both rings have a little bit grind off the inside. Its not difficult and can be done in about 10 minutes. Second one has the Tasco PDP2 (I think that is the model) mounted on Ruger 1" rings. This one does not require any modification on rings.

Of these 2 sights I personally prefer PDP3. I like the slightly larger view and I shoot more accurate with it. I also had a PDP5 mounted on Mini-14 using B-Square mount but it never worked very well. When I change the size of the dot the point of impact shifted by as much as 6" at 100 yards.

As you can see I like Ruger Mini/Ranch rifles and currently have 4 of them (I've had as many as 6 at one time). They can be more accurate than most people think and are usually more reliable than AR rifles. Only problem is that reliable hi-cap magazines are expensive and not easy to find.
Old July 7, 2001, 01:46 AM   #8
TCW

So does this mean you cant mount one of those short/fat red dot scopes (BSA) that require a mount (no rings)???

Like these:
http://www.bsaoptics.com/reddot.html
Old July 7, 2001, 09:17 AM   #9
Halffast

TCW,

I have heard that someone makes a Weaver rail that clamps on to the Ranch Rifles integral (sp?) bases. I have never seen one, nor do I know who makes them. Perhaps someone here does. If you could find one, then you could use the BSA. Sorry I don't know more.

David

Shameless Personal Plug - Read "Lights Out" A SHTF Novel in progress, by me.

Molon Labe!
Old July 7, 2001, 02:00 PM   #10
Karsten

Check out www.gunaccessories.com scroll down and find Millet mounts then military rifles and scroll down or I know of another one that Natchez has that mounts way forward to the barrel ahead of the handgaurd and extend rearward.

Let me know and I will see if I can get more info.

Karsten
Old July 8, 2001, 05:04 PM   #11
TCW

So does anyone have a preference between the standard red dot scopes or the short fat ones? The standard is lower profile, but the fat ones give a wider view...?

Tasco also has a fat one.
Old July 8, 2001, 06:32 PM   #12
Karsten

We are talking sights right, not women Just kidding.
I myself like the short fat 30MM, 42MM and I even have a rollepolle 50MM on an AR M4A3, works great with the iron sites.

Karsten
Old July 8, 2001, 11:37 PM   #13
taco

It depends on your definition of "fat". PDP3 that I have uses 30mm rings so they are okay. My PDP5 uses 38mm rings (I think) so it is too fat.
Old October 7, 2008, 11:47 PM   #14
stamina

I have an old "Weaver 302" mount system for this Mini-14 - serial number starting with 183. This thing comes with 1" rings that are spaced apart about 4". That is 4" from the outer edge of the first ring, over to the outer edge of the next ring.

Does anyone have good reading that can explain mount sight systems to a newbie?

I suspect this old mount system is only good for 'skinny tube scopes' and I'm going to need a new mount for these modern red-dot scopes mentioned in this post. This is an older stainless steel mini-14. I don't even know what 'ranch' means but this is a hand-me-down from my father.

I was able to dissassemble and clean the thing so I'm not too mechanically challeneged but don't know any of the lingo!

Thanks
Old October 8, 2008, 08:39 PM   #15
pbrktrt

stamina, the ranch rifle has integral scope mounts & a different bolt for side ejection to clear a scope. the 183 series is not a ranch model. but it is still a great little carbine. shoot it & enjoy it.
Old October 11, 2008, 12:15 AM   #16
SimpleIsGood229

Ultimak makes a replacement upper handguard with a Picatiny rail milled into it. You can attach whatever you want to it.
Old October 11, 2008, 01:13 AM   #17
sholling

I didn't like a red rot on mine. In fact I prefer open sights on a Mini I did consider mounting a Bushnell 3200 2-7x32 I have in my collection but they are really 100-150 yard rifles. I think if I were to scope it now I'd lean toward a Millett DMS. It seems like the perfect cross between a red dot and a scope.

Last edited by sholling; October 11, 2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old October 11, 2008, 07:21 AM   #18
Omaha-BeenGlockin

If you're looking for a rail for your Ranch rifle---this is the one to get.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=298351

On my 580 Mini---I have a 3x9x36 scope and can make 300yd shots with it.
-------Metallica
Old October 12, 2008, 08:14 PM   #19
stamina

Thanks guys! I'll read over what you posted and get back to you in a month or two once I've ordered up, installed and played!