The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 25, 2008, 09:49 PM   #1
wpcexpert

Gamo Whisper Air Rifle

Anyone have any experience with this one? I've thought of carrying it with me to the bow stand to pass the time on squirrels when the deer didn't get the memo.

Looking for how loud, accurate.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 25, 2008, 10:19 PM   #2
BBush

I have actually been thinking about doing the same thing. I am still trying to decide what brand and caliber I would like to purchase.
Old November 25, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While not familiar with the whisper model, I know my Shadow 1,000 is a loud BOINK sound. Not a crack like a gunpowder round but nearly as loud in a weird way. I know if some one showed up popping off a gamo shadow I would be mad as heck but that whisper may not be too loud.
If it is as accurate as my shadow it is an easy 40 yard squirrel killer 60 yards is top end.
Brent
Old November 25, 2008, 11:31 PM   #4
Crosswire3

The ~1000FPS break-barrel pellet guns aren't exactly loud, but they aren't quiet either. The Gamo Whisper is a little quieter, but a good bit of the sound comes from the spring itself and isn't suppressed. As long as you use heavier lead pellets accuracy should be pretty good and it will be quieter. The lighter pellets don't provide much resistance for th piston, and they will ofter break the sound barrier (bad).
Old November 26, 2008, 12:45 AM   #5
Slopemeno

The firing behavior of a springer makes all the difference in sound. Usually, the better quality guns have a smoother firing cycle and are a bit quieter. Look for a Beeman R-9.

I'm not saying you can't have fun with a Gamo, but there are better choices out there.
Old November 26, 2008, 06:00 AM   #6
darkgael

whisper

Good advice. In the woods, where it's quiet, that spring mechanism makes a lot of noise.
Pete
Old November 26, 2008, 02:22 PM   #7
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day, try this site. Several good video clips.

http://www.pyramydair.com/
Old November 26, 2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Mike U.

+1 with the others.
The noise of the spring is distinctive. In the quiet of the woods it would be loud and very much out of place. Couple that with the supersonic CRR-ACK! of the lighter lead free alloy pellets and you might as well have a .22 with you.

Now the quietest firearm this side of a silenced weapon is easy to accomplish with a .22 levergun (or bolt action) and CCI CB Shorts or Longs. These are quieter than my Gamo Shadow, period. I've taken to using that in my suburban neighborhood for tree rat control in lieu of the Gamo.
That 29 grain solid bullet goes out at 710 FPS and I've yet to have a squirrel walk off very far after being tagged with one of those. A well placed shot results in DRT 100% of the time.
I've taken to sanding the tips flat and have been rewarded by getting a louder THWACK! on impact and the added bonus of seeing the squirrel knocked right off it's perch. It's minute-of-tree-rat-head accurate out to 20 yards and with practice I'm certain that kill range could be taken out to 50 or maybe more yards.

A note on my favorite target. (Grrrr... )
The damned vermin here are relentless and I've killed over 74( ) of them since Jan. '08. It's like they are coming off a freakin' assembly line or something.

Anyway, I think you'd be better served with that combo for indulging in the time honored tradition of de-animating limb rats.
Old November 26, 2008, 02:26 PM   #9
JBriggs

I had the chance to use one last week, and it sure is quiet. I am looking to purchase one for myself as a Christmas present when I can find one. So far, I have not had luck with the local stores because they sell them as fast as they can get them in.

I was amazed at how quiet it is. Fairly good in the accuracy department also.
Old November 26, 2008, 02:31 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Mike, I lived in Daytona Beach... Shot the snot out of them. I saved them skinned and cleaned til I had about 20. Invited my buddies and their house dogs over for a bar-b-que. After our burgers and fish were done I put on the busy tails to cook while we ate. When we were done went outside with a cooler full of beers and tossed cooked rodent to the dogs. Man them was some happy pooches!
While the Gamo is loud, it doesn't say gunfire... My neighbors never knew what was killin' all them lovely little buggers off!

Brent
Old November 26, 2008, 03:23 PM   #11
Mike U.

Yea, I hear ya.
The spring sound is kind of loud and in the forest I think it would be a really alien sound to the local furry residents.
I really do not know how the forest animals would react to it since it's probably not a sound they hear as often as gunfire. I know that around here the sound of the Gamo sends the limb rats scurrying at break neck speed outta the area.

I know it's a waste, but, I haven't been able to bring myself to cook one up yet. I normally let the local predators/scavengers take them. I guess my long time association of squirrels with rats has tainted my feelings towards them as food. If Obama finishes dagging the economy down to a Depression I may well find out how limb chicken tastes.

One fella on one of these boards had the brilliant idea of dropping his lead poisoned squirrels intact into his freezer and when he collected enough he took them down to a local injured wildlife recovery center. They feed them to the eagles and hawks in their care. Pretty good example of thinking outside the box.

Hmmm...as I'm typing this, I'm looking at two more of squirrels playing chase in my neighbor's oak tree. Too bad the neighbors returned early this year. They're winter-time snowbirds. Can't drop those rats till they cross the street. Can you imagine sitting in your backyard and suddenly it starts raining dead squirrels? Talk about a Kodak moment.
Old November 26, 2008, 03:29 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bud! I was dropping them from trees 3 doors down. we all had 6 foot fences. Usually these folks were not at home in daylight hours and one day I guess they seen one fall in their yard... I hear the door open and close and then a minute later it opened and closed and the wifey says "so whadja think honey?"... Hubbys "No idea just dropped dead, maybe old age." I was kneeled down snickering like a schoolboy! This was the neighbor to my next door neighbor so I guess at the 70 yards I hit it it didn't have that JFK look to it...
Brent
Old November 27, 2008, 12:12 AM   #13
B-Maxx

If you're trying to silently pass the time till the deer show up by shooting an air rifle in the woods then you'll probably be spending most of your days shooting the tree rats. "Kind of loud" for you or I is like a hand grenade to a deer. Too bad deer don't eat dead squirrels.
Old November 27, 2008, 08:18 PM   #14
Mike U.

Quote:
Bud! I was dropping them from trees 3 doors down. we all had 6 foot fences. Usually these folks were not at home in daylight hours and one day I guess they seen one fall in their yard... I hear the door open and close and then a minute later it opened and closed and the wifey says "so whadja think honey?"... Hubbys "No idea just dropped dead, maybe old age." I was kneeled down snickering like a schoolboy! This was the neighbor to my next door neighbor so I guess at the 70 yards I hit it it didn't have that JFK look to it...
Brent
LMAO!

Last edited by Mike U.; November 28, 2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old November 27, 2008, 08:22 PM   #15
VonFireball

Quote:
If Obama finishes dagging the economy down to a Depression I may well find out how limb chicken tastes.
Limb chicken....lol....lol...that just struck me real good.
Old November 27, 2008, 09:48 PM   #16
nero

http://www.airforceairguns.com/talonss.html

nero
Old November 28, 2008, 11:11 AM   #17
hockea

I have one and had to make some modifications to make it truly useful;
The 52% claimed reduction in noise amounts to about 2db. But the spring noise can be significantly abated by filling the hollow stock with "Great Stuff" the polyurethane foam that you can get at WallyWorld; that hollow stock was acting as a reverberation chamber.
Ditch the Gamo scope; you can get a Leapers (Centerpoint) at WallyWorld.
By all means get a GTR-III trigger for it. Try the site at Gateway to Airguns for Charlie-the-tuna's address.
Pretty easy to hit a dime sized target at 25m without flushing off the pigeons
Old November 28, 2008, 01:55 PM   #18
glockman19

Quote:
Now the quietest firearm this side of a silenced weapon is easy to accomplish with a .22 levergun (or bolt action) and CCI CB Shorts or Longs.
+1

I'm a suburb/city dweller and the CB's are as quiet as it gets. Won't cycle my MkIII or 10/22, so I bought a Marlin 981T bolt action for $150 just for them. Accurate out to 50-75 yards.

instead of sanding down the tip, X it with a razor blade. birds and tree rats explode as the round fragments.
Old November 28, 2008, 02:09 PM   #19
NWCP

I use a RWS 350 Magnum on bushy tails among other rodents and crows. Flat puts them down. One thing to remember is that a pellet gun can cause some damage so a proper backstop is as critical as it is with any rimfire. I restrict the shooting of vermin to my own property for that very reason.