The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 27, 2008, 11:07 PM   #1
zombieman

Rem 700 stock to allow mag. feed?

I actually posted this as a reply in one of my other posts but didn't expect it to get much feedback being that the post was pretty much closed. Anyway, I was concerned about my rem 700 not having a lower mag. feed. If I were to replace the stock with a aftermarket stock that does have the lower feed would I simply just have to buy some mags and it work? Or is the rifle mechanically different?
Old November 28, 2008, 12:02 AM   #2
dmazur

It depends on whether your 700 is a long action or a short action.

This link shows the Kwik Klip, which is a long action solution for some models of the 700. It is relatively inexpensive, but it won't work for .308 and other short action calibers.

Kwik Klip

HS Precision makes a high quality solution that says it fits 700 BDL's and it's available for long actions or short actions

HS Precision

This lists for $260, according to the site. Magazines are $75 each.
Old November 28, 2008, 12:30 AM   #3
bcp

Zombieman, your terms are not quite clear to me. I don't know if you want option B or C as listed below.

A. The ADL has the bottom of the magazine covered by the stock. You load and unload only through the top of the action.

B. The BDL, CDL, and SPS have a hinged metal trapdoor on the bottom of the magazine so you can load or unload from the bottom of the stock or through the top of the action.

C. The DBM has a detachable magazine, often called a clip, which holds several cartridges that can be removed all at once or loaded all at once.

You can convert A and B or B to A just by changing the stock and magazine parts.

The action is different on C, so it is not simple to convert to or from using factory parts.

You can fit an aftermarket detachable magazine to A (with some changes first) or B as dmazur mentioned in his post.

Bruce
Old November 28, 2008, 10:58 AM   #4
zombieman

Thank you very much for both your replies. This clears it up and makes me feel better about th epurchase. Mine is a apparently a ADL type, you cant see the mag at all from the bottom of the stock. Thanks.