The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2009, 02:05 AM   #1
SA_Irish

loading press

I'm looking into reloading for 40 S&W to keep the cost done so I can shoot and practice often. The .260 Remington is a very appealling round, but ammo is scarce so will need to reload for it. What do you think of a Lee turret press for a first timer? It seems simple enough and a time saver
Old July 22, 2009, 02:12 AM   #2
kiwi56

Reloading Press

I use the Lee Classic Cast and it is a good press, maybe not as smooth to operate as an RCBS or Redding but let's face it they are twice the price. I don't try and use it as an automatic press but mainly like because I can leave my dies set up in the turrets and it saves a lot of setting up time.
Old July 22, 2009, 08:28 AM   #3
margiesex

RCBS, but...

I'm an RCBS guy, and like above, they are expensive. However, I own a progressive press, and being able to keep my dies set up per cal. is a real benefit when changing over.

So, whatever you get - and Lee has a fine reputation - try and get one that will allow multiple set ups to make it easier for you. You may find you'll end up loading 4-5 different cals in the future.

Good luck and God bless.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old July 22, 2009, 11:27 AM   #4
snuffy

Irish, if you do go with the lee turret, make darn sure you get the CLASSIC turret. They're still making the deluxe turret, which is inferior to the newer classic.

Also, the classic turret will be a great press for a beginner to start out with. It will allow you to operate it as a single stage, until you get some experience, I wouldn't suggest you load using the auto advance feature.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 22, 2009, 11:45 AM   #5
wncchester

Listen to Snuffy!
Old July 22, 2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Dannyl

SA Irish, give me a call

Hi there,
Finally another South African in the forum
Give me a call on 0726200682 and I can give you some guidance, I also reload for 0.40 S&W.
Cheers,
Danny