The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2024, 12:17 AM   #26
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Brownells is out of 4# containers, but has 8# containers
Thanks Unclenick. I've considered getting an 8#, but that might be more than I need. Haven't ruled it out though.

I do have loaded ammo w/ 2400 for most of the warm season. Not too desperate just yet.
Old March 31, 2024, 07:32 AM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Yeah, it's a fair quantity if you aren't Elmer Keith. Over 3000 44 Mag full power loads. Probably the kind of thing you want to have someone to split it with, assuming you have an empty 4lb container handy.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 1, 2024, 01:11 PM   #28
Webleymkv

It's not just 2400, but all of Alliant's powder seem to be in short supply and expensive when found. It's a particular problem for me as the majority of my preferred handgun loads as well as a couple rifle loads were all worked up with Alliant powders. Up until recently, I could load almost anything I have with 2400, Unique, Blue Dot, or Reloder 7 but I'm not willing to pay $50+ per pound to do it. I wonder if Alliant being a subsidiary of Vista Outdoors, which is currently going through a bit of drama in regards to being bought out, has anything to do with their limited availability and price.
Old April 1, 2024, 04:48 PM   #29
Nick_C_S

Quote:
. . . the majority of my preferred handgun loads . . . were all worked up with Alliant powders.
Me too, basically. I could craft all my handgun loads with Alliant propellants - Bullseye, BE-86, Power Pistol, 2400, and 300-MP. And in a pinch, I could dump BE-86 or Power Pistol; and 2400 or 300-MP - and have it down to just three propellants. I wouldn't do that though.

I currently don't use Bullseye because I have 8#'s of W231; but when the time comes to replenish my fast stuff, I could well get Bullseye instead.

I have N-310 and AA#7, but am phasing both out (may be a year or two to exhaust my supply).

I use W296 for my Henry 357, but could just as easily move those loads to 300-MP. Right now, I only use 300-MP for my Marlin 44 Mag lever action. Even though I only use W296 and 300-MP for lever rifles, I still consider them to be pistol powders.

Sorry, that was a brain drift.
Old April 1, 2024, 04:58 PM   #30
Marco Califo

Alliant Supply and new data are having issues

I like Alliant handgun powders, but have old supplies to last years.
When available now the prices