The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 1, 2009, 07:18 PM   #1
RockyTop

Denied purchase due to recent DL renewal

I went to buy a shotgun at Walmart and after I filled out part of the paperwork the guy said my DL had an issue date of May 20 and I'd have to wait 30 days to buy a gun. He then checked with the manager and came back and said I actually had to wait 60 days.

WTH? I've lived in VA for the last 36 years. I've had a drivers license continuously since '85 when I was 16. I've lived at my current address for the last 6 years. This isn't a new license, it was just time for me to get it renewed. Why in the frick would I have to wait 60 days just because I had my license renewed when all the info stayed the same?
Old June 1, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
liberty1

Never heard of that one before.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Storm52

Me either. I did see a sales clerk tell a customer that his DL has expired and he could not proceed to sell him the firearm.
This must be a Wal-Mart policy or a VA Wal-Mart policy or that particular WM policy.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Have you considered going to a local gun shop that you trust and buy/order the same shotgun? They're probably more up to date on the local laws and your money spent will stay in the local economy.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 1, 2009, 07:30 PM   #5
dipper

If your license is expired in NC you can not purchase a firearm...was it time for you to get it renewed ( as in a have a week left to get it renewed) or was it expired?
Sounds like yours was expired.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:39 PM   #6
RockyTop

My license wasn't going to expire until June 2. I got it renewed about two weeks early on May 20th. It never expired.

As for buying from a local shop, I could, but a used shotgun there would be more than a new one at Walmart. No thanks.
-----

I just found this from the Code of Virginia:

When the photo-identification presented to a dealer by the prospective purchaser is a driver's license or other photo-identification issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, and such identification form contains a date of issue, the dealer shall not, except for a renewed driver's license or other photo-identification issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, sell or otherwise transfer a firearm to the prospective purchaser until 30 days after the date of issue of an original or duplicate driver's license unless the prospective purchaser also presents a copy of his Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles driver's record showing that the original date of issue of the driver's license was more than 30 days prior to the attempted purchase.

Those Walmart employees are idiots.

Last edited by RockyTop; June 1, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:50 PM   #7
VA9mm

The 60 day period applies to new residents as far as I know. Call VA State Police to clarify this.
Old June 1, 2009, 08:15 PM   #8
(BH)

yeah that sucks man.

iv been turned down for an out of state speeding ticket that id already mailed the payment in on. i just filed the appeal and the TBI (in TN) called me like a week later and said i could go get my gun.
Old June 2, 2009, 12:03 PM   #9
RockyTop

Got a response back from the VA state police and it's pretty much what I expected:

Whoever told you that you had to wait 60 days is in error. A renewed driver's license is immediately acceptable as a primary form of ID for the purchase of a firearm in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The governing statute is Section 18.2-308.2:2, Code of Virginia.
Old June 2, 2009, 02:28 PM   #10
Bud Helms

Right on.
Old June 3, 2009, 08:07 PM   #11
RockyTop

Went back today w/ the VA police reply. There was a different associate there and I filled out the paperwork, they called it in, I paid and then walked out with the shotgun. The DL issue date was never brought up.
Old June 4, 2009, 06:45 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

It's amazing how little some people know regarding the actual policies. At least you were able to get your gun without too much hassle besides making a return visit.
Old June 4, 2009, 08:05 AM   #13
brickeyee

The fact that the license is a renewal is marked above the issue date.

Some idiot only read half the rule.
Old June 4, 2009, 08:28 AM   #14
trigger happy

I don't deal with Wal Mart at all with firearms or accessories, when some clerk wanted my driver's license for ammunition then proceeded to punch info off it into their computer I felt like my privacy was violated
Old June 4, 2009, 09:41 AM   #15
RockyTop

Quote:
The fact that the license is a renewal is marked above the issue date.

Some idiot only read half the rule.
What's more is that after consulting with his manager, he came back and said the manager called (who?) and said it actually wouldn't be a 30 day wait, but a 60 day wait. I'd really like to know where the 60 days came from. But you are totally correct, by license has "REN" printed above the issue date.

Anyway, I'm just glad I was able to pick it up yesterday with no hassle, other than having to go back again. Ammo is likely the only thing I'll be buying there from now on, of course, that's if they ever have any in stock.
Old June 4, 2009, 01:23 PM   #16
Russ5924

If you deal with Wal-mart you can expect this kind of thing:barf: