The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 14, 2007, 03:22 PM   #1
olretiredgunney

"pengun"

I found one of these in an old box under some stuff in my gun room.Havent seen it in 20 years and i have no idea what it shoots,although it has one shell with it but i cant tell the caliber.I have pictures but dont know how to send them.do you know what it is?It has a cocking lever and the body is black.The shell(?) is aluminum.If so answer me at:
[email protected]
Old June 14, 2007, 04:28 PM   #2
CajunBass

Anything like one of these?

http://pengun.com/
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 14, 2007, 04:32 PM   #3
DonR101395

Would it look like this?

fig5-8.gif

fig5-9.gif
Old June 15, 2007, 11:17 AM   #4
olretiredgunney

nothing even close yet!

Please keep posting
Old June 15, 2007, 07:56 PM   #5
jrothWA

Is the body a red anodizes...

aluminum body, with a thumb-knob that pulls back towards you and then slide into a notch. Then the cartridge screws into the front and has a shotgun type primer in the base?

If so, it's a Penguin emergency flare launcher, used by the military etc. up till the late 80's.

Don't know if flares still available.
Old June 15, 2007, 09:33 PM   #6
CraigJS

My father had a pen type tear gas device that had a short screw on black barrel and body that fired a .38 cal charge. The shell looked like a regular .38 special case that had sort of a wax to seal the end. It was about 1/2" in diameter and aprox. 5-6" long. It was fired by pulling back a silver lever with a round tip on it ( it a had a "safety" notch). It also had a pocket clip for securring in your pocket. They were taken off the market as I recall because people were fabbing up barrels for it that would shoot a regular .38 special round. I think it was from the mid 60's. I wish I knew where it was now...
Be safe..
It was something like one of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image%201B.jpg (19.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg pic896.jpg (10.5 KB, 94 views)
Old June 16, 2007, 01:52 PM   #7
olretiredgunney

CRAIGJS you hit the nail on the head

Yours looks red but mine is black with one shell thats aluminum in a clear plastic case with "pengun" on the front.Any idea what its worth?Its like picture 1
Old June 16, 2007, 04:10 PM   #8
CraigJS

It was one that my father had years ago, gone now. (both he and the pen)
What you have sounds like the one that he HAD. Above pics. were some I found on the I net. NO idea on the worth, sorry!
Be safe.
Old June 16, 2007, 04:48 PM   #9
chris in va

Aren't those regulated now?
Old June 16, 2007, 05:06 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

AFAIK, all those "pen guns" have been ruled as "any other weapons" and require registration. The ruling also applies to any of the tear gas guns that can be "readily" converted to fire a projectile, but that is just about all of them.

Consult BATFE or an attorney, or just toss the thing.

Jim
Old June 16, 2007, 10:08 PM   #11
shaggy

Jim Keenan is correct - penguns like that are class 3/NFA devices classified as AOWs (Any Other Weapon). To be legal it would have to be registered and transfer as any other NFA weapon would, but with a $5 transfer tax, rather than the usual $200 transfer tax. The main problem here is that technically you cannot now register it - only the original manufacturer can register it, and since you didn't make it you can't. Aditionally, while the transfer tax is only $5, if you were to try to register it you'd have to pay a $200 registration tax unless you were an 07/SOT.
Old June 17, 2007, 08:47 PM   #12
olretiredgunney

well its gone now so i dont worry about it anymore

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 19, 2007, 06:38 AM   #13
Hkmp5sd

The "Stinger" penguns are not NFA/AOW. ATF ruled them normal pistols because to fire, they must be folded in half, at which time the trigger extends downward. They claim it looks close enough to a real handgun.

NRA Life Member