The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 3, 2007, 05:48 PM   #26
rlong5

This is copied from another board that I frequent. It was posted just 2 weeks ago:

Quote:
an american GI comes over the wall and is shot once with the mauser in the shoulder he is still able to draw and fire at the german hitting the german in the shoulder and taking the whole d@#& arm off. now at that time .45 ammo was lead and 9mm was copper jacketed.

Last edited by rlong5; January 3, 2007 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Edited 4-letter word from quote
Old January 3, 2007, 06:11 PM   #27
G-Cym

PLayboyPenguin is right.

There are developmental stages when every child is born and grows. During Early Childhood(1-4 years) and Middle Childhood(5-10 years), children are still developing the ability to reason, to understand right and wrong, and even to become more self aware. You simply cannot "teach" them something and expect it to stick 100%. And with guns, even a 1% chance of them not understanding or just not caring is more than enough to take extra precautions. Kids at this age naturally think of themselves above anyone else. It's genetic. Human mammals must take care of their children for a long time. For moms this is called the maternal instinct. And for children, it manifests itself with selfishness. So if a child wants something, even if you say NO, he's going to do it if he can. And exploring a gun is something a child should never be able to do without you standing right over him or her.

Again, Playboypenguin is right, no amount of "Teaching" with a child still in Early or Middle Childhood, can replace the value of a good lock or safe.
Old January 3, 2007, 06:20 PM   #28
Kreyzhorse

That in this day and age, no one needs a CDW permit. It's the police's job to protect us.
Old January 3, 2007, 06:26 PM   #29
63Belair

+1 for playboypenguin. You can never be too safe with firearms and children. Education combined with prevention is the best way to have both
Old January 3, 2007, 06:26 PM   #30
G-Cym

That .45ACP 1911s carried C+L is the best pistol configuration anyone can carry.
Old January 3, 2007, 06:52 PM   #31
Greenfurniture

Man, this is the funniest thread! Who is next?
Old January 3, 2007, 07:18 PM   #32
marlboroman84

In response to Playboy Penguin,

I think you're making a broad generalization that is not a FACT. No offense, but psychoanalysts love to do the "well studies have shown" crap. My grandfather never owned a safe in his life until he moved to the city when I was 11. When I was around 5 he took me out for my first shooting lesson and explained all the rules and right and wrongs to me. He kept a loaded shotgun and loaded .22 by his and my Grandma's bed from the time I was 6 on up and I never once bothered with it, because I was taught not to.

Now none of the above is advocating just leaving them lying around, but I am definitely disputing this group mentality, all kids are to dumb to understand what they are told bull crap. Psychology is a science and science is mostly made up of THEORIES let's try to remember that before we go about spouting absolute truths of the universe shall we?
Old January 3, 2007, 07:26 PM   #33
BobR.

Playboypenguin
Quote:
Sorry, but the only one full of beans on this is you
BobR,

Put your money where you mouth is and show me where I am wrong. Give me the benefit of your massive psychological knowledge of small children that disputes what I said.

I do not have to, considering the clip that was on TV that showed children: some with out NRA safety training; the others without the training being exposed to a out of place gun.
None of the trained kids touched the gun and ran for help; the untrained kids curiosity got the best of them.
YOU SAID this truth is a falsehood, you have to prove it is wrong.
So give us your proof, other than your opinion.
Old January 3, 2007, 07:29 PM   #34
G-Cym

Marlboro, your grandfather took a chance. With you, it worked. But that doesn't mean it always will, or that it's a smart chance to take.
Old January 3, 2007, 07:30 PM   #35
PILMAN

Quote:
I do not have to, considering the clip that was on TV that showed children: some with out NRA safety training; the others without the training being exposed to a out of place gun.
None of the trained kids touched the gun and ran for help; the untrained kids curiosity got the best of them.
YOU SAID this truth is a falsehood, you have to prove it is wrong.
So give us your proof, other than your opinion.
BobR I saw the same show but I can't recall what it was. It was a few years back if I recall, maybe with Operah?
Old January 3, 2007, 07:36 PM   #36
BobR.

Quote:
G-Cym

PLayboyPenguin is right.

There are developmental stages when every child is born and grows. During Early Childhood(1-4 years) and Middle Childhood(5-10 years), children are still developing the ability to reason, to understand right and wrong, and even to become more self aware. You simply cannot "teach" them something and expect it to stick 100%. And with guns, even a 1% chance of them not understanding or just not caring is more than enough to take extra precautions. Kids at this age naturally think of themselves above anyone else. It's genetic. Human mammals must take care of their children for a long time. For moms this is called the maternal instinct. And for children, it manifests itself with selfishness. So if a child wants something, even if you say NO, he's going to do it if he can. And exploring a gun is something a child should never be able to do without you standing right over him or her.

Again, Playboypenguin is right, no amount of "Teaching" with a child still in Early or Middle Childhood, can replace the value of a good lock or safe.
Ah you mean no training can replace good old fashioned paranoia.
Perhaps in this day and age where parents get arrested fir spanking their child, some kids are hopeless little brats.
Then of course there are parents who are so inept they should not have guns either.

In the neighborhood I grew up in, if a parent, any parent told you not to do something, a child listened ofrfirst the original parent would slap your ass, and when you got home, you really got it.
We listened, and we listened well.
Bob
Old January 3, 2007, 07:42 PM   #37
Playboypenguin

BobR,

If children always do what we tell them then why is there ever a need to "slap an ass". Seems to me that the very fact that children get punished means that they did something wrong. So if kids do things wrong wouldn't that mean they don't always do as told?

That a chance you are willing to take with your kids?
Old January 3, 2007, 07:45 PM   #38
BobR.

Off Topic:
Marlboroman84:
In college I took a women psych. class out of curiosity. There was another fellow in my class who did the same.
The woman teacher, said she liked it when guys did that becasue usually they spoke up, unlike ninety percent of the girls.

One day after class we were talking and I told the instructor that, in my opinion, ten percent of psychologists and psychiatrists were a boon to society. I said the other ninety percent were somewhere between inept, to outright dangerous.
To my surprise, she said she completely agreed with me.
She was a great instructor, which is probably why she ended up suing the college for discrimination, and won.
Bob
PS--The school is quite liberal.
Old January 3, 2007, 07:54 PM   #39
BobR.

Playboypenguin BobR,

If children always do what we tell them then why is there ever a need to "slap an ass". Seems to me that the very fact that children get punished means that they did something wrong. So if kids do things wrong wouldn't that mean they don't always do as told?

That a chance you are willing to take with your kids?

You are rationalizing.

A child who has been disciplined to whatever degree for X; if that parent says that for Y, what happened at X will seem like a good time, children listen, IF the parents are not just blowing hot air.

In our neighborhood every child was informed of what I said would happen, i.e. that they told other parents to swat away.
None of us was stupid, so none ever tested the system. Including my neighbor across the alley who was the local tough boy.
On several occasions when I was speculating, he convinced me other wise, as he said our parents would kick our butts.
Bob
Old January 3, 2007, 07:55 PM   #40
AFshooter

A member of my squadron was telling me how he did not like handguns.
He said "If something goes wrong, it all flies right into your face."

When I told him that the chances of that are somewhere around zero, he told me "It happens all the time".

Keep in mind that this person has done everything, and can do it all better than you.

I have also heard the "go off" by itself thing.
Yeah, just like a car fuel tank can explode at any second.
Ignorance.

My all time most hated phrase: "Get guns off the streets." What does that even mean?

Nebraska Concealed Carry
Old January 3, 2007, 08:08 PM   #41
otasan

Nomenclature Errors

Bullets, clips, assault rifles, arsenals, etc. Anyone who misuses these terms are unwillingly allied with the leftist dominant media culture.

They are totally ignorant about firearms, ammunition, and their proper use.
Old January 3, 2007, 08:16 PM   #42
cheygriz

My favorite handgun myths:

A .45 automatic will knock a man down!

Don't expect a semi-auto to be reliable unless it's well lubricated.

Revolvers are more reliable than semi autos.

Handloads aren't safe.

Lead bullets will ruin your barrel.
Old January 3, 2007, 08:30 PM   #43
dixierifleman

15. The grooves in a rifled barrel are there to let gas seep past the bullet, otherwise the gun would explode.

thats my favorite. i got a good laugh out of it.

i heard this one from someone who i used to go to school with:
"hollow points are meant to tumble in the air, making a real nasty wound. ive seen it"
Old January 3, 2007, 09:55 PM   #44
Mike Irwin
Staff

That it's easy to shoot a gun out of someone's hand if you have a gun in your hand.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 3, 2007, 10:17 PM   #45
DarthTedd

Playboy and Bob both have good points ... I think it comes down to the specific child as all kids are different. My little one is a newborn so I don't have to worry for a bit, but I do admit once he can grab and reach I'm going to move a few around (and higher).

Then, once he's old enough it's off to the range to learn about safety and muzzle control.

I will say this ... there's nothing wrong with a safe and a good gun lock.
Old January 3, 2007, 10:21 PM   #46
orionengnr

how about,

"The BG will take it away from you!"

Well, since it's so easy to do, I'll just take it right back!

PS--When I was a kid, I learned that if you get your @ss smacked "a little" for the little things, you really don't want to go wrong on the big things. My dad left the .45 on the nightstand throughout my childhood. I knew exactly where it was, and the only time I ever touched it was when he let me shoot it. About twice, if I recall.

Now I've got my own. And no kids.
Old January 3, 2007, 10:23 PM   #47
skeeter1

Not what I heard, but what I saw

On one trip to the range, there were a couple early-20s age guys who came in and rented a 9mm and proceeded to shoot it horizontally. Didn't hit a damned thing, and once the RO saw them, he gave them a severe tongue-lashing. I've never seen them back there since.
Old January 3, 2007, 10:45 PM   #48
DarthTedd

Quote:
On one trip to the range, there were a couple early-20s age guys who came in and rented a 9mm and proceeded to shoot it horizontally. Didn't hit a damned thing, and once the RO saw them, he gave them a severe tongue-lashing. I've never seen them back there since.
Ahh, the "homie sights". You gotta love that!
Old January 4, 2007, 01:05 AM   #49
ghideon

Quote:
And remember it was a Porcelain Glock 7 made in Germany and it costs more than what you make in a month.
I love that DieHard quote.
Old January 4, 2007, 07:52 AM   #50
PSP

The right of the people to own and bear arms "shall NOT be infringed".

Yeah...right.