The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 8, 2007, 07:09 PM   #126
teejhot.40cal

Quote:
My father's boot.

I hear ya.
Old January 8, 2007, 09:40 PM   #127
Mark54g

as for the issue with "Heat," realize that there is no such thing as being too prepared. While he may be well trained, and many of us are adequately trained and aware, it is assumptions that get people shot by accident. Assumptions that the gun is loaded, or unloaded get people hurt and killed. Taking a few seconds; FREE seconds, to check your weapon not only is not a bad thing, but makes sense.
Old January 8, 2007, 10:39 PM   #128
Slideman

Myth: Children can't be taught to respect guns and not touch them without proper supervision.

Been there, done that. When my kids showed any interest whatsoever, I ALWAYS found the time right then and there to hand them gun parts, ammo and talk them to boredom on the subject. If they didn't get bored fast enough, we were out shooting together first chance.

They knew two things: Whenever they wanted to shoot, dad had the time and would help them. Wheneve dad wasn't available, the guns weren't either.

They are all in their 20's and 30's today .. bullet-hole free.

There was another difference from today's average family - I said what I meant, meant what I said, was patient, but FIRM!

Me second disfavored myth is the no-stock shotgun for home defense.
Old January 8, 2007, 10:53 PM   #129
pax

Myth: adults can be perfect, and can be relied upon to keep their firearms locked up 100% of the time with absolutely no exceptions, without ever making any mistakes.

Myth: children can be perfect, and can be relied upon to keep their hands off their parents' guns if the guns are not locked up, resisting both curiousity and peer pressure, under every circumstance.

Reality: neither adults nor children are perfect, and never will be. So smart people teach their children to respect firearms, and teach them what to do if they come across one. And smart people also lock the guns up where the kids are unlikely to get them.

pax
Old January 8, 2007, 11:33 PM   #130
cdsdss

A laser sight will make a gun more accurate.
Old January 9, 2007, 12:01 AM   #131
BobR.

If a gun is locked up, you will always have time to access it before it is too late.

Last edited by BobR.; January 9, 2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old January 9, 2007, 12:59 AM   #132
teejhot.40cal

Quote:
Myth: Children can't be taught to respect guns and not touch them without proper supervision.

Been there, done that. When my kids showed any interest whatsoever, I ALWAYS found the time right then and there to hand them gun parts, ammo and talk them to boredom on the subject. If they didn't get bored fast enough, we were out shooting together first chance.

They knew two things: Whenever they wanted to shoot, dad had the time and would help them. Wheneve dad wasn't available, the guns weren't either.

They are all in their 20's and 30's today .. bullet-hole free.

There was another difference from today's average family - I said what I meant, meant what I said, was patient, but FIRM!
What do ya know slideman, my dad did the exact same thing and I am hole free as well. Parents back then were horrrible weren't they.:barf:
Old January 9, 2007, 01:18 AM   #133
GalilARM

I actually thought that the chamber-check in Heat was pretty realistic....I mean, yeah he should and probably would know whether or not his pistol was loaded, but I cant see it being bad practice to make absolutely sure before an entry.

Michael Mann isn't perfect, but he seems to have a better eye for realism than most others in Hollywood when it comes to guns....
Old January 9, 2007, 01:56 AM   #134
jstn

Anyone see "Myth Busters" on TV last night? They had 3 gun related myths that they were trying to prove/disprove.

They proved that it if two solid lead bullets fired from two blackpowder rifles collided in mid air (aparently this unlikely event happened during the Civil War) that the two projectiles would fuse together into one piece of lead. They did it on the show.

They also disproved that one sniper firing at another sniper could shoot him through his own scope (at least the scopes that they used on the show). The convex mirrors in the scope deflected the bullet away from the sniper being shot at (fake sniper on the show of course).

Finally, they shot at a stationary revolver (I didn't catch the caliber) that was secured and pointing directly at them. They were able to lodge a bullet from the fired gun in an empty chamber of the secured revolver. It entered through the front of the chamber - nice aim. This was reported to have happened before during a police shoot-out. They proved that it could happen - although probaly never will again.

It was a good episode of the show.
Old January 9, 2007, 02:32 AM   #135
dixierifleman

eh. mythbusters is ok. they didnt use the same type of scope that was available in the time of the myth so i dont put all my faith in what they do. plus i dont like the guys on there. who wears a beret?
Old January 9, 2007, 08:29 AM   #136
gnut

It isn't a pistol myth. Nobody needs an assault weapon. You can't hunt with them. I have a standard reply. "So I am assuming you don't own any guns?" Typical answer is," no." "Well I own 3 of them in order to protect my home and family if ever needed. You can hunt with a sharp stick. Just in case we have some type of dissaster where the police are overwhelmed and can't respond to your wife being frightened and I am out of beer. Where do you live?
Old January 9, 2007, 09:31 AM   #137
yomama

Are we done with the kids topic, thought the Moderator said no more. I was going to add my .02 cents, but thought this topic was supposed to be over.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:07 AM   #138
Daves-got-guns

i have actually scene pictures of a snub nosed revolver a swat sniper shot into 3 pieces clean out of a mans hand. I thought that wasnt possible, but .308 is pretty potent in its own right. It was 1 bullet. Not a myth just thought id share.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:21 AM   #139
mikejonestkd

Dave,

I saw a video years ago of a police marksman shooting a revolver out of the hand of a man that was suicidal and sitting outside in a park. They said the shot was like 80-90 yards but under the stress I am sure it must have been very difficult for the marksman. The revolver broke into several piecees from the impact.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:23 AM   #140
Daves-got-guns

mike, i think that was the same revolver lol. Did they frame it after he shot it and put it in their station?
Old January 9, 2007, 10:28 AM   #141
mikejonestkd

I remember them showing it off but can't recall if ther framed it and put it on display. One heck of a good shot under difficult conditions....

It was a stainless or nickel plated snub revolver.
Old January 9, 2007, 10:41 AM   #142
Silvanus

I'm watching the 5th season of "24" at the moment and there was one scene where Kiefer Sutherland points a Glock at a woman's face and then (for the dramatic effect) racks the slide. That's ok, we see it often in movies and I'm used to it, but what annoyed me was that the slide was locked back after that I can't understand why nobody on the set saw this.
Old January 9, 2007, 11:44 AM   #143
dixierifleman

thats funny about the show "24". i can imagine that in real life,"hang on while i put a magazine in"
Old January 9, 2007, 02:09 PM   #144
G-Cym

I am a huge 24 fan, and I am also in the process of watching season 5. Just finished episode 14 yesterday. It it just me, or has 24 gotten less realistic with guns as the show goes on? I seem to remember the first season especially being pretty good with guns, IE; people checking their mags, decent trigger discipline, etc. But later seasons are becoming very hollywood-esque.

Quote:
Myth: adults can be perfect, and can be relied upon to keep their firearms locked up 100% of the time with absolutely no exceptions, without ever making any mistakes.

Myth: children can be perfect, and can be relied upon to keep their hands off their parents' guns if the guns are not locked up, resisting both curiousity and peer pressure, under every circumstance.

Reality: neither adults nor children are perfect, and never will be. So smart people teach their children to respect firearms, and teach them what to do if they come across one. And smart people also lock the guns up where the kids are unlikely to get them.

pax

Pax nailed it. Right on.
Old January 9, 2007, 02:28 PM   #145
PzGren

I love the mentioning of the laser light. Also teaching kids to respect guns is the proper way!

Practice makes perfect is another myth. Improper techniques will not improve with "muscle memory".
Old January 9, 2007, 05:53 PM   #146
teejhot.40cal

Quote:
I remember them showing it off but can't recall if ther framed it and put it on display. One heck of a good shot under difficult conditions..

I do remember that they put it on frame with a green backing. I have no idea how I remembered it though.
Old January 9, 2007, 06:00 PM   #147
solz56

Quote:
plus i dont like the guys on there. who wears a beret?
The Duke?

Colt 1911 Gov't .45
Old January 9, 2007, 06:27 PM   #148
dixierifleman

hahaah... i meant thats in the special forces.
Old January 9, 2007, 06:46 PM   #149
dixierifleman

not really a myth. more like bad movie realism. Rambo First Blood II. how bout when the vietnamese gunboat is shootin the dual 50s. its plain as day that they are shootin blanks. no bullets at all in the cases
Old January 9, 2007, 11:03 PM   #150
IM_Lugger

Taurus guns are crap

FMJ ammo is useless :barf:

There has been no improvement in handgun design since year 1911

anything under .400" is not good enough for self defence.

.22, .32 .380 are mouse guns...