The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 14, 2007, 05:58 AM   #176
kjdoski

I heard one of my favorites from a senior Army MP NCO last fall:

"We're going back to the .45 - I was part of the team doing the evaluation. The 45 is so much better than the 9mm, it's incredible. The muzzle blast from a 45 will knock a badguy down. The 45 is so powerful that if you hit someone in the foot, it will tear their whole leg off!"

Another one of my favorites:

"A 12 gauge is a room sweeper. Shoot once and everyone in the room will be knocked down. You don't even have to aim!"

After hearing this, I LOVE to have someone pattern their "riot gun" with buckshot at 10 yards...

Regards,

Kevin
Old June 14, 2007, 06:34 AM   #177
Glenn E. Meyer

Repeating - two big guys told me that they shot a 1911 and it damned near tore their arms offs.
Old June 14, 2007, 06:46 PM   #178
Southern_guy

"my other favorite gun myth is "gun free zones"
Trust me, they do exist. There is one at the schoolhouse 20 miles down the road. I'll send photos.
Old June 14, 2007, 07:54 PM   #179
Cpl Nobbs

""my other favorite gun myth is "gun free zones"""

"Trust me, they do exist. There is one at the schoolhouse 20 miles down the road. I'll send photos."

guess I didn't make it clear. that they work is a myth.

(I'm currently involved with trying to get our local university to recognize CCW as is required by state law and be prohibited from enforcing there no firearms policy)
Old June 15, 2007, 05:06 AM   #180
William Jesse Magnum

This fallacy (or is it really one) i hate the most... that people who own guns tend to be more hotheaded on the road and offensive.

what you guys think? do we really get more over-confident and aggressive when we carry to the point where we MAY somehow put it to wrong use?

my defense to this one is that the more I am trained to handle a serious defense tool is that the more i treat it with respect.

think it would be nice to put this on another thread.
Old June 18, 2007, 11:30 AM   #181
Ocraknife

Quote:
2) "Fanny packs just SCREAM 'gun'". Fanny packs may scream "awful fashion sense" or "I'm old" or "I am carrying my diabetes supplies" (one of our friends does this). The only people to whom it "screams" gun are other gunnies, and even then you're likely wrong.

Springmom
This is great!

-Jimro
Old June 18, 2007, 07:35 PM   #182
CritRxDoc

My favorite is the "one shot stop". They are handguns. A handgun is a handgun, a rifle and a shotgun are high velocity weapons. The only one shot stop is a CNS hit.
Old June 19, 2007, 08:06 AM   #183
jon_in_wv

I read a newspaper article about how criminals were coming into west virginia to buy guns (because of the lax gun control laws) and were selling them in Chicago and Minnesota in exchange for drugs. Hmmmm, aren't the gun laws FEDERAL!?!? You can't come in from out of state and legally buy handguns in West Virginia. Please.....:barf:
Old June 19, 2007, 10:24 AM   #184
Cpl Nobbs

lets see. your a junkie. you drop oh, call it $500.00 on a handgun in WV, take it to Chicago and trade it for drugs?

someone needs to teach some basic economics or better creative writing.
Old June 19, 2007, 10:47 AM   #185
pesta2

I know a guy that traded a hangun for a truck door here in WV. Let's say the guy that got the door did better. The guy had me try to work on the handgun to see what was wrong. Lets just say it was a very poorly made nickel .38 S&W. I can not remember the manufacture. I looked it up in Blue Book and it was worth $25, since it did not work, $0. He wanted his truck door back I think.
Old June 19, 2007, 01:16 PM   #186
Mat, not doormat

"RIIIIIIGGGGS!!! COP KILLERS!!!!!" :barf:

Or just about anything in a similar vein concerning body armor. "The AK47, the worlds deadliest assault weapon, fires a bullet that will tear right through a bullet proof vest. Who needs that much power?" Sorry folks, it's not because it's a super duper deadly assault weapon, it's because it's a rifle, not the pistols that most vests were designed to protect against. Even Grandad's old .30-30 will penetrate a pistol caliber rated vest.
  • .45-70 is obsolete
  • Colt SAA is a poor choice for CCW because it's too slow to shoot. It's slow to reload, not shoot.
  • Guys in movies waving around Condition Two 1911s, trying to threaten people. Like Tom Chaney told Baby Sis, "You have to cock it, first."
  • Because a caliber, or gun is old, it's ineffective. Witness the number of super duper ultra magnums around, doing the job that a .44-40 did a hundred years ago. Using optics and long point blank ranges to compensate for lack of skill.
  • Don't carry an M9, the goblin will just field strip it while it's still in your hand. Riiiight. He's toting a lorcin, but he's intimately familiar with Berettas. Uh huh.

There are others that bug me, but I think that's enough for now.

~~~Mat