The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 25, 2006, 08:30 AM   #1
topspin43

Can I whine about prices?

I have been back into this sport for about 2 years now after a lenghty hiatus. So my post comes from a 2 year perspective.

Is it me or are prices of handguns and accessories up substantially in the last two years? Yes, I know... my collection is worth more also. But like my wife's diamond ring, who cares if you're never gonna sell?

The government tells me that inflation is about 3%. However, all the things that matter to me (houses, insurance, cars, cycles, gas, ammo and handguns) are up more like 25%!!!

I usually don't whine because I realize the I don't have a price problem but a personal production problem. Bill Gates don't whine about gas prices. But I felt the need today.

Thoughts?
Old June 25, 2006, 06:06 PM   #2
bobhwry

Sure you can whine but nobody really cares!! I think gun prices are very reasonable compared to everything else.Not many things you can buy today that will last a lifetime, give you great joy and hold their value and maybe appreciate. Over the last 30 years I have spent in the neighborhood of $15 to $20K on my hobby and have had alot of enjoyment out of it.That won't even buy a decent car today.So put in perspective!! Today we have a huge variety of guns available at very competitive prices!!So stop whining and start buying.
Old June 25, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
Bullrock

Hey Top

Quote:
Sure you can whine but nobody really cares!!
LOL
Old June 25, 2006, 07:26 PM   #4
topspin43

Bob...

just let me whine... I know you're right.

Spent $1000 yesterday on our "hobby". Just seems that everything went up alot lately.
Old June 25, 2006, 07:51 PM   #5
SOSARMS

Location: The great Buckeye state...where nuts are not just for eating
You can thank the trial lawyers for your grief....If it wasn't for the frivolous lawsuits, you could probably cut a third off your retail prices....
Old June 25, 2006, 10:05 PM   #6
BobK

Prices are about to go up because the demand for raw materials has increased worldwide.
Old June 26, 2006, 09:36 AM   #7
Te Anau

Quote:
The government tells me that inflation is about 3%
Yah right,theyre crazy.Wages have been stagnant for 10 years.
Old June 26, 2006, 10:05 AM   #8
Earnest T. Bass

Wages never keep pace with prices - at least not in America.

IMO, gun prices are within reason; in fact, I think we're fortumate that they aren't 50% higher, thanks to all the bottom-feeding lawyers and their bogus lawsuits. At least here in America, we can still buy guns - unlike alot of countries.

Home prices and gas prices are absolutely out of control, though. If I diidn't already own a home, I don't know that I'd be able to buy one. Still, we are fortunate here in America - there are hundreds of millions of prople in this world that sleep on the ground under a piece of cardboard - look at the situation in Darfur.

As they say, "In spite of the high cost of living, it still remains very popular."
Old June 27, 2006, 03:08 AM   #9
Socrates

You want to blame costs, blame it on the government and therefore, on the voters. All that
gas money goes to taxes. If they stopped charging state and federal taxes on gas, it would be 90 cents a gallon.

You want blame, it's you idiots that elect lawyers to congress, that write stupid laws, that raise costs, and taxes. The founding fathers wanted to limit federal and state government. The american people seem determined to elect people that want to do nothing but write tons of stupid, worthless laws. Elect people that believe in elimenating government influence, not extending it's grasp.

Texas has it write. Congress for 3 months of the year, so they can do the least damage possible, by writing as few new laws as possible.

S