The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Do you plan on practicing open carry during Open Carry Week?
Yes, I plan on practicing open carry. 25 30.12%
I would, but it's illegial in my state/locality. 30 36.14%
No, I do not plan on practicing open carry. 28 33.73%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 14, 2006, 09:26 AM   #26
RevoRick

I agree with Rallyhound with regards to Minnesota. I will not open carry.
DW 10mm CBOB, 10mm Experimental, .45 Pointman GD, .45 Patriot CCO. DW 744 VH .44 6", 715 VH .357 4". Fusion 10mm Longslide XM-10 Tactical Hunter. Glock 19c, Browning Buckmark, S&W 686 .357 4", 629 .44mag 8 3/8". Uberti Cattleman .45LC.
http://www.1911auto.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=24
Old June 14, 2006, 11:11 AM   #27
KREW3

Eh, i open carry every day, so this should be nothing new to me.
Old June 14, 2006, 03:45 PM   #28
Brent

Kraven, I believe you have misinterpreted the NC Firearms booklet. "Going Armed to the Terror of the People" cannot be enforced against someone who is simply carrying a pistol in a holster, according to the instructor of the State Police, who taught my concealed carry course. You must actually be doing something to THREATEN people with a gun.

The only risk in N.C. are no-carry zones (which also apply to concealed carry) and cities which may have ordinances against open-carry. I carry openly in N.C. nearly everyday.
Old June 14, 2006, 07:52 PM   #29
JoshB

Brent,

Do you know what things are like for open carry in Onslow County?
Old June 14, 2006, 08:16 PM   #30
razorburn

I would definately do so if I did not think I would be arrested soon afterwards. I believe it's technically legal in WA state, but I live in a liberal urban area where this would certainly incite panic and mayhem. And causing a public disturbance or terror is an arrestable offense. Trying to carry openly in upscale Seattle is not the same experience as open carry in Wyoming or the like. Conversely, if someone else in the Seattle area wouldn't mind carrying openly before me, as soon as I saw them being able to go about business as usual, I would certainly be willing to unconceal my weapon and carry openly with him.
Old June 14, 2006, 09:53 PM   #31
Edward429451

I got five people besides myself going to participate! Of course open carry is legal in Colorado and I've tested it on many occasions and never had a problem, even with police. Once an officer had me pulled over and my 1911 was on the seat holstered and I declared it before they seen it and he retreived it, started to lecture me on the danger of carrying it cocked and then made movement to unload it and I told him that if he wasn't familier with the method of operation that perhaps he shouldn't attempt to unload it. Wisely and impressivly, he took my advice and left it holstered and loaded. Young smart guy, I respect that.
Old June 14, 2006, 10:09 PM   #32
Buzzard

Here in AZ I carry open every day, I even ride my quad and open carry so it will not be anything new for me to open carry.
Old June 26, 2006, 06:53 PM   #33
JoshB

I'm packing up the computer tonight in prep for the move to NC. I'll be away for a while, but will plan to open carry when legal while enroute to NC. I'll be traveling through several states - unfortunately not all are open carry friendly.
I look forward to seeing how things worked out for everybody when I get back online. Till then,
Old June 26, 2006, 11:05 PM   #34
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Open Carry Legal In Alabama

AG opinion #84-00205 issued by former Attorney General Charles Graddick
Old June 27, 2006, 08:10 AM   #35
springmom

not in Texas

I would be glad to join you, but in Texas it is not legal. I may start pestering legislators now, to try to get somebody to introduce open carry legislation next year when the legislature is back in session.... I don't mind carrying concealed, but I'd like to not worry about printing or accidentally flashing.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old June 27, 2006, 08:32 AM   #36
deadin

In my mind I can't see any good reason for "Open Carry" just because you can. If you are hunting or such, fine. OC in town seems a little like wearing "muscle" shirts or codpieces.
Old June 27, 2006, 09:36 AM   #37
springmom

codpieces???

Maybe a push-up bra, but I'd have no reason to wear a codpiece....

Seriously, though, I think it would be nice not to have to worry about "intentional failure to conceal", which is the Texas legalese for "your shirt just blew open and your XD is showing". Beyond that, I wonder how we got to the point that the default for society is either being unarmed or at least appearing to be unarmed (total concealment). Concealment for tactical reasons is one thing,and I personally think it's a good choice; but concealing because it's in-your-face not to? Who says?

The anti's have won the public relations fight if we buy this second argument. Should I hide the fact that I exercise my constitutional right to vote? Should I hide the fact that I exercise my constitutional right to worship? Is it in-your-face to exercise my right of free speech and debate political issues?

People in open-carry states manage to do so without fits of vapors occuring every time they walk into the local corner store, and without gunfights breaking out over the baklava at the market. We have been sold a bag of bullpies if we think this is somehow an intrinsically bad thing to do. Tactically it is debatable; but constitutionally? No. Socially? Only if you let the anti's dictate the society.

My $.02, highly overinflated as always.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old June 27, 2006, 10:18 AM   #38
Edward429451

Agreed springmom. That's just the media bias at work. If the country turned the gunlaws & media crap around, people would no longer be afraid of the sight of OC guns. They'd be seen just like cell phones. That's why it's important for us to in your face back at em and send the message that we don't buy into the perception that we have to be concealed or unarmed.
Old June 27, 2006, 10:25 AM   #39
Desertscout1

Good post, springmom!!
Glocks are what you show your enemies.