The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2024, 10:41 AM   #1
zeke

Missouri 215 wfn 45 acp

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/75780

Anyone tried and/or using this bullet in 45 acp? Any loads, experiences or recommendations sincerely appreciated.
Old January 25, 2024, 03:25 PM   #2
totaldla

I've been meaning to try that bullet. I'm interested.
Old January 25, 2024, 07:34 PM   #3
gwpercle

That design is intended as a revolver bullet .

If your 45 acp is a Semi-auto ... it may have feeding problems with the wide flat nose .

My AMT Harballer (think 1911 semi-auto) doesn't like them too much ... feeding isn't 100% ... My Taurus model 455 - 45 acp revolver loves then ... full moon clips drop right in .

Before you load a bunch for a semi-auto ... you may want to make up some dummies and see if they will manually cycle from clip into chamber smoothly and freely eject .

Gary
Old January 26, 2024, 07:12 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I built my match 1911s so they will feed empty cases, but I would not expect that from an unmodified feed ramp and chamber mouth.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 26, 2024, 09:03 PM   #5
zeke

Appreciate the responses. Like gwpercle, got excellent results in all the revolvers (625's) tried. Even the one that appears to have shallower rifling. Copied is some info posted on another site.

Got an inclination several years ago for a lower recoiling vermin load for my shorty 45 acp/ar's. Am back at it after almost a 4 year break. As you mentioned, the col is critical for feeding in 45 acp, and for overall easier feeding in 45 AR. They have proven to be excellent 45AR bullet, especially for the versions with shallower grooves.

So far have tried 1.188 col in 45 acp with HP-38 and Unique. The goal was to get about 760 to 800 fps from 3 in barrel. Got that, but not the reliable feeding for more extended use without cleaning. Will try 1.175 next range trip. 1.175 will leave minimum shoulder to remove belling groove onto full dia.

Then thought it may be helpful to ask, to see if anyone else had developed a load for them.

Imo, a 230 gn coated lrnfp with large meplat, no crimp or grease groove would be ideal. My brother had Lee make a custom run of these molds years ago, but i am not into bullet casting or coating.
Old January 26, 2024, 09:47 PM   #6
Sarge

I've used Missouri Bullet's 215 grain '45 Express' coated 45 ACP/Colt bullet. It is essentially the old SAECO #58 with the lube groove removed to simplify application of the coating. It has a large .355" meplat and made its bones in bowling pin shoots, popular a few years ago.

Loaded to various OALs, I got it to run fine in several 45s including a 70s Colt Commander. What I could not get to do was shoot well and, generally speaking, it was about half as accurate as the 230 grain TC bullet.

More here if anyone's interested.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/an...54464/#replies
Old January 26, 2024, 11:52 PM   #7
zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I've used Missouri Bullet's 215 grain '45 Express' coated 45 ACP/Colt bullet. It is essentially the old SAECO #58 with the lube groove removed to simplify application of the coating. It has a large .355" meplat and made its bones in bowling pin shoots, popular a few years ago.

Loaded to various OALs, I got it to run fine in several 45s including a 70s Colt Commander. What I could not get to do was shoot well and, generally speaking, it was about half as accurate as the 230 grain TC bullet.

More here if anyone's interested.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/an...54464/#replies
Sincerely appreciated. Am starting to believe it's use in short barrels not only dependent on COL, but powder burn rate. The only real problem so far is how dirty the chamber got, which started affecting the bullets final push into the chamber. However this was after several differing tests, and no cleaning. Given how picky a 3 in 1911 can be, was surprised the bullet did as well as it did initially. But have not tested it beyond close range. And good shooting, i simply can't see that far anymore and as i age out am losing what skills i had.
Old January 27, 2024, 08:28 AM   #8
Sarge

Thanks Zeke. Frankly I think 20 BHN is way too hard for a general-use handgun bullet. I might have to scare up some 11-12 BHN Saeco 58's and have another go at this. Too many irons in the fire right now.