The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 9, 2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Magpul Angled Fore Grip (AFG)

In the recent AR picture thread, someone asked about the Magpul AFG.

Here is a link explaining the reasoning behind the product:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=124&t=182094

Here is a an example of the AFG on a 9" rail with a 16" barrel:

So you are probably asking yourself, how is this better than my current grip/handguard? Why should I spend another $35 to replace the grip that is working fine for me now?

This is a very new product that was only released in December; so I haven't got a lot of time with it yet; but it is already clear that for me it has some significant advanatges over what I've been using (slick handguard and traditional vertical grips).

The major advantage I am seeing is that the AFG lets me put my hand in the position it naturally wants to be in. I basically use the same "thumbs forward" grip that I use in shooting a handgun. Because it is less fatiguing to hold the rifle, I gain two advantages - I can run my hand out closer to the muzzle where I have better control without getting fatigued quickly.

Really, I think this is a product that anyone, slick handguard or vertical grip user is going to immediately appreciate because it is just so ergonomical and comfortable. However, I think there are a few groups who may not like it as much.

1. If you have short arms or are running the vertical grip close to the magwell, you probably aren't going to see the full advantage of using the AFG.

2. If you have a 7" handguard, it is going to be difficult to secure the AFG to the handguard and still have a comfortable shooting position (unless you have shorter arms). You are probably going to need to have the AFG hanging off the front of the rail to get a comfortable position on it.

3. The AFG takes up a lot of rail space. If you have a lot of items that HAVE to be in the 6 o'clock position, you are going to have the same problem because they can't go behind the AFG and the pushing the AFG back to put them in front will minimize the benefits by putting it too far back.

4. I only shoot from a bladed, High Power-style standing position at the range - OK, this really isn't your product. It is designed for a squared off, isoceles-style fighting stance with a rifle. If you don't ever use this stance, you may not see much gain.

To the best of my knowledge, Magpul is not yet selling them from their website; but Magpul distributors are selling them. I know DSG Arms has them in black and FDE and Midwest Tactical Supply has them in black. Google can give you a long list of other sources as well.
Old January 9, 2010, 04:18 PM   #2
olyinaz

Thanks for the report. I don't really like my vertical grip and a clean rail is not as ergonomic as possible so this is a very very interesting device in my mind. I really look forward to seeing one mounted on something and giving it a try.

Best,
Oly
Old January 9, 2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Brenten

looks very interesting. less intrusive as well. This would work well for hand guards that get really hot and where you don't want a vertical grip
Old January 9, 2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
This would work well for hand guards that get really hot and where you don't want a vertical grip
Thanks, that reminds me of one more thing I forgot to mention...

For me, my thumb is lying on top of the flashlight along the top of the rail pointing forward at the target. Not a big deal for me; but a lot of the new piston ARs vent gas right at that same location (top of the rail, back of the gas block). If you use my grip on one of those piston rifles, you are not going to like it very much