The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 14, 2024, 08:48 AM   #51
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
The problem I have with it--if you want to call it a problem--is that it shoots almost everything I put through it with MOA or less accuracy; so it takes a while and a lot of cartridges through a chrono to find the unicorn node(s). Even reloading is an expensive proposition and doing lots of em is very expensive.
I feel bad for you, that's the worst problem to ever have.

I hear you on reloading costs, I really don't like cartridges that take more than 70 grains. I prefer them really under 50 these days. My favorites take around 25 grains to keep happy.
Old April 14, 2024, 09:10 AM   #52
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Model 94 Winchester 30-30.
That'd work for me as well. I happen to own an old straight-stocked 336 in 35 Remington but a good iron sighted lever action, zeroed at 200 yards, solves an awful lot of real world rifle chores.
Old April 15, 2024, 03:30 AM   #53
stuckinthe60s

if there was truly an all around gun...they wouldnt be making as many different ones as they are today.
guns are like nails.
you dont use 12 commons to make a cabinet.

i will pass on this discussion and vote 'present.'
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old April 15, 2024, 07:37 AM   #54
stagpanther

If it were a cheap bug-out gun that you don't mind bashing up and is relatively cheap to stock up on thousands of rounds for the inevitable zombie apocalypse that ends the world as we know it--my vote would have to go to 7.62 x 39 in either an AK or some other carbine that can shoot it. I bought this cheapo AR47 upper from PSA years ago for something like $200 and keep it ready to go with Wolf 123 gr polyformance which is great steel case bulk ammo in my experience. Shot this 10 shot group yesterday at 95 yds into strong headwinds of 20 to 25 mph for fun when I figured it was a waste to test hand-loads.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_1178.jpg (106.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1177 8.jpg (231.1 KB, 56 views)
Old April 26, 2024, 04:23 PM   #55
Picher

Go To: All Around Gun

My Rem 700 Stainless in .270 Win will kill about anything needing killing or I want to kill, in Maine, where I live. It sports a Leupold 3-9X scope and has an after-market super-laminated wood stock, or an even-tougher synthetic.

The free-floated barrel doesn't require scope re-zero when switching stocks, but I usually check it on my range behind the house, just to make sure.