The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 27, 2011, 07:44 AM   #1
CLC

A cz 40b question

I did a quick search and couldn't find any mags. You guys know a source or an alternative? Also do I have a option for a different rear sight?
Old August 27, 2011, 08:15 AM   #2
graysmoke

Check on gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com

And the variations on how you indicate it is important.
CZ40B * CZ-40B * CZ 40B
Old August 27, 2011, 08:39 AM   #3
CLC

Thanks, but im trying to stay away from the auction sites. I read the colt defender has the same rear sites as the 40b?
Old August 27, 2011, 08:48 AM   #4
graysmoke

Check with.... cz-usa.com
Old August 27, 2011, 08:54 AM   #5
CLC

Haha I did but they have them at $38 and I hoped they could be had for cheaper. I thought 75 40s&w mags worked but wasn't sure. The rear sight is my biggest problem.
Old August 27, 2011, 09:25 AM   #6
zombieslayer

The 75 magd will work they just wont sit flush. You get +2 rounds though. I bought a 40B a few years ago and it came with lots of original "ban" mags. I love the gun. Its one that goes to the range almost every time. Truly great handguns.
Old August 27, 2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Don Glock

Cdnn investments has mags for it.
Old August 27, 2011, 10:22 AM   #8
MC 1911

I believe Mec-Gar makes them also as thats what I bought for my P06. Don't skimp on mags buy the good ones.
Old August 27, 2011, 10:27 AM   #9
graysmoke

I had a CZ40B when they first came out. And today regret selling it. My opinion it is the finnest made of all the CZ's. An all steel 1911 design with combined Colt technology...WOW.
CZ just could not get along with Colt for claiming credit rights....too bad.
If yours is the model from the 80's. Take care of the one you got.

Last edited by graysmoke; August 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:34 AM   #10
CLC

Its nice to hear from fellow 40b fans! I actually checked out the mec-gar and cdnn before I posted but couldn't find any, ill prob just have to go with CZ. Its funny but I got it by accident, lol it looked like a $300 1911 at the time.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:57 AM   #11
zombieslayer

The frames aren't steel. Theyre aluminum alloy. But they are plenty tough. These guns were designed to be used.
Old August 27, 2011, 12:33 PM   #12
joe magarack

40b

When I had my 40b the only other sights I could find to fit it were the XS BIG DOT SIGHTS....for what its worth.
Old August 27, 2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have a CZ-40b. I read only recently that standard CZ-75 mags will work, so I ordered one from CDNN just to find out. And it did, so then I ordered a couple more. Mine came with two different bases. I removed the deep base and installed the thin one, so they fit "almost" flush.
Old August 27, 2011, 07:54 PM   #14
wnycollector

I love my CZ-40B. I picked it up via auctionarms for $280 ~3 years ago. It has a spectacular trigger (~5K rounds through it helped alot!) and will out shoot two of my three SIGs.
Old August 27, 2011, 08:18 PM   #15
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
An all steel 1911 design with combined Colt technology...WOW.
An alloy frame and steel slide. Nothing about the design came from the 1911 as it's a DA/SA gun, capable of cocked and locked. It's pure CZ-75B, and the only thing Colt really did was demand a straight grip frame. S&W used the same kind of straight grips on their LEO guns, too -- so it's not really 1911-like in the grip, either.

Colt commissioned the gun, but had almost nothing to do with the design. CZ built the whole thing for Colt -- which was thinking about getting back into the LEO market in the US. Then Colt chickened out, and left CZ holding the bag -- and 800+ Colt 40s, too. CZ began producing the CZ-40B, and sold the small inventory of the Colt 40s in the U.S., too. CZ later used more 40B slides on the P-01 frame to have a compact .40.

They've had one or two additional production runs of the 40B over the years, but I haven't seen any in recent years.

The mags are identical to the standard CZ .40 mags except for the strange, angled 40B base plate, which is a decorative difference. The 40b mags won't fit in the standard 75B 40 because of the base plates, but the standard mags will fit the 40B. Maybe you can just get the base plates from CZ-USA? Otherwise, pick up some standard .40 cal. CZ mags for range use, etc. (The newer CZ .40 mags have an extra round or two, as well.)

The new CZ Forum has a pretty good history of the gun, written (in translation) by the guys who designed and oversaw its production.

Like some others here, I had a 40B, back when, and now regret selling it. These have been one of the most trouble-free CZs ever made, and a sweet-shooting gun, at that.

If I ever stumble across a Colt 40 at a reasonable price (unlikely), I'll grab one of them, too, and will also eventually find someone who wants to trade their 40B, one of these days, and get one back. (The Colt 40 has a very smooth trigger, and while most were DAO, a few were DA/SA. Very few.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 28, 2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old August 27, 2011, 08:55 PM   #16
CLC

So the only difference in the colt z40 is the DAO trigger?
Old August 27, 2011, 09:10 PM   #17
volkstrm

CDNN does have them. Maybe you need to call them I know they have the mag's for the CZ,40B. I also have that gun got it from CDNN for $299.00 NIB like 4 or 5yrs ago.
Old August 28, 2011, 07:56 AM   #18
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
So the only difference in the colt z40 is the DAO trigger?
The big differences are that one has the COLT name and rollmarks, and the other has the CZ name and markings, and that the Colt version is a much rarer gun. Internally, except for the DAO-DA/SA mode differences, I think they're identical.

I don't know if the Colt model will ever appreciate greatly in value, but they do NOW sell for substantially more than the CZ version -- primarily, I think, due to their relative rarity.

Note: Colt Defender sights will work on the REAR of the 40B, or so I'm told. Front sights are different than the standard CZ (pinned in a length-wise slot) front sight, so that may be Colt Defender, too. The XS sights are available, and if you don't like the BIG DOT front sight, XS makes a small dot version, too. (There aren't really that many sights out there for the Colt Defender.)

IMI/MMC would also retrofit tritium units in many sights. I've had some of their sights on several guns, and some of the newer ones have been pretty good. The older ones (different company management) didn't last as long, but were readily replaced under warranty. I don't know if they're still a functioning business, however. I couldn't find them the last time I checked.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 28, 2011 at 06:51 PM.