The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 30, 2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Kowboy

Most Accurate 1911?

All:

I'm thinking of buying my first 1911, mostly for pistol league, not carry.

What are some of the most accurate pistols out there and why? I'm not afraid to spend what I need to get what I want.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kowboy
Old October 30, 2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Sturmgewehre

Your best best would be a Les Baer or Ed Brown Executive Target. But be prepared, they're $2400.

If you're on a budget, try the Springfield Trophy Match.
Old October 30, 2007, 09:50 PM   #3
Rasputin

This Will Aid In Your Search If Your Read It.

http://www.gunblast.com/1911_ShootOff.htm
Old October 30, 2007, 09:57 PM   #4
KyJim

There may be some that more accurate but two of the high end production models known for accuracy are Les Baer and Ed Brown. Some of the Les Baer models come with an accuracy guarantee of 1 and 1/2 inches (machine rest) at 50 yards with a specific type ammo. Ed Brown also claims a 1 and 1/2 inch accuracy at 50 yards.
Old October 30, 2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Kowboy

Thanks, all.

Ras, I read it. Very informative.

Kowboy
Old October 30, 2007, 11:55 PM   #6
curmudgeon1

A pretty good commercial presentation.
Old October 31, 2007, 12:36 AM   #7
evan1293

Quote:
Your best best would be a Les Baer or Ed Brown Executive Target. But be prepared, they're $2400.
The Ed Brown is but you can get a Les Baer premier II 1.5 for $1790 or so. I would add rock river to the list. Their limited match has a claim of 1.5" at 50 yards also.
Old October 31, 2007, 12:58 AM   #8
BanditSRT8

I hear that the Nighthawks have astounding accuracy.
Old October 31, 2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Kowboy

Bandit:

I heard the same in a review of the Nighthawk Dominator.

Kowboy
Old October 31, 2007, 02:56 PM   #10
Sturmgewehre

After following this story closely I've decided not to give Nighthawk any of my business for now. I really don't appreciate the original tone of Nighthawks response. Only after being told about this thread and that thousands of people were watching the outcome did they finally do the right thing. I don't believe you should have to place that type of pressure on a custom gun maker to get them to do right by you when you spend well over $2k for their product.

That's HORRIBLE for a custom handgun.

I expect a better fit from a Kimber, Springfield or even Taurus... this on a Nighthawk is completely unacceptable.

For now I'm sticking with the old guys with several decades of business experience and customer service, Ed Brown and Les Baer.
Old October 31, 2007, 03:21 PM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Most accurate 1911 I've ever tested was a Rock River 1911-A1. (not to be confused with a Rock Island)
I liked the Kart match grade barrel they use... worked wonderfully.
Old October 31, 2007, 03:50 PM   #12
Rinspeed

The standard Baer PII is one of the most accurate 1911s you will find. At around $1400 it's a hell of a deal too.
Old October 31, 2007, 03:51 PM   #13
Sturmgewehre

The only one able to pass the FBI accuracy tests wasn't Les Baer, Brown, RRA, or even Wilson... twice it was Springfield with their Professional model.
Old October 31, 2007, 05:54 PM   #14
Rinspeed

Quote:
The only one able to pass the FBI accuracy tests wasn't Les Baer, Brown, RRA, or even Wilson... twice it was Springfield with their Professional model.

Doesn't mean a whole lot when it was with one notoriously inaccurate load the Golden Saber.
Old October 31, 2007, 05:58 PM   #15
varoadking

Quote:
I hear that the Nighthawks have astounding accuracy.
Mine's not bad...

Old October 31, 2007, 07:14 PM   #16
allenomics

A variety of gun makers produce good quality firearms. But I believe the shooter and barrel length are the biggest factors for accuracy when gun quality is comparable. On a budget I'd choose the Springfield TM.
Old October 31, 2007, 11:17 PM   #17
Kowboy

Guys:

I really appreciate all this info, please don't stop.

Thanks,

Kowboy
Old October 31, 2007, 11:21 PM   #18
robctwo

Some days it's the Exec Target, most days it's the Les Baer 1 1/2" PII

Old November 1, 2007, 03:54 PM   #19
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
Doesn't mean a whole lot when it was with one notoriously inaccurate load the Golden Saber.
Actually, to the contrary, it says quite a bit that the Professional made lemonade out of lemons and met the accuracy requirements despite the load used.
Old November 1, 2007, 05:38 PM   #20
Zombie Steve

Oh my goodness, George Hill. I was reading a little too quickly and I thought you put a K-mart match grade barrel in. Wow.

Old November 1, 2007, 05:57 PM   #21
BigJimP

Wilson Combat makes some of the best and most accurate 1911's - and a number of their guns come with a guarantee of 1 " groups at 25 yards.

Les Baer and Ed Brown also make good guns - and they are accurate. Personally, I think Wilson Combat is better right out of the box - but you won't go wrong with any of the 3 mfg's probably. Prices will range from
$ 1,800 - $2,500 for a variety of models. In Wilson I like the full size Close Quarters Battle or the Protector models / in Les Baer I like the Monolith or the heavyweight monolith / in Brown I like the executive elite model. My first choice would the Wilson Protector in all stainless - in 9mm or .45 ACP (nite sights, ambi safety and the deep well mag speed chute).
Old November 1, 2007, 06:51 PM   #22
Jart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmgewehre
After following this story closely I've decided not to give Nighthawk any of my business for now. I really don't appreciate the original tone of Nighthawks response.
Dang. I read that whole thread. My head hurts but I've learned something today: I'm visually and / or OCD challenged. I didn't see much wrong with the NHC and I wasn't too put off by the previous 1911 forum's postings on the STI Trojan that they got all worked up about.

Clearly, the 1911 forum crowd places great store in aesthetics and they're entitled to do so. I'd probably be happy if it was 100% reliable and accurate. I'll only drop it in the gravel anyway - a pretty gun just doesn't belong with my ham-fisted self. Also, if one is interested in using the thing as a weapon or in the case of the OP, using it for competition, having the looks of a runway model is not something I'd be inclined to pay extra for anyway. I expect this is a minority view.

At the end of the first linked thread there was a link to another thread that had a picture of, wait for it...

A NHC with a wire tie?! I sure hope the owner put it on there. I just could never take anything that shipped with a chastity belt seriously as a "working" gun - either defense or gaming. It's clearly intended as art.

Back to the OP - based on the link to online reviews, the SA Leatham at 3K looks like a good bet. Another option might be Dawson Precision or someone similar - surely your 2,500.00 isn't going for aesthetics in these rather plain looking examples.

40 LPI checkering on the butt end of the slide won't make it shoot any straighter. Not to hijack the thread but - what happens when the extractor needs replaced? Does a true afficianado have it checkered to match the rear of the slide or are they available pre-checkered? If the checkering didn't precisely line up with the checkering on the slide, would it grind on one's sensibilities until the entire upper was rebuilt from scratch?

...just asking.
Old November 1, 2007, 07:13 PM   #23
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
Dang. I read that whole thread. My head hurts but I've learned something today: I'm visually and / or OCD challenged. I didn't see much wrong with the NHC and I wasn't too put off by the previous 1911 forum's postings on the STI Trojan that they got all worked up about.
Are you kidding me? Obviously you're not attune to the world of custom pistols because the pictures shown show a VERY poorly finished gun. When you spend over $2k on a "custom" handgun, you don't have gaps, damaged finish, gouge marks, etc. on the gun. He didn't buy a Kel-Tec for $200. Take a look again, I've pointed out the glaring flaws in this image:

Old November 1, 2007, 07:23 PM   #24
evan1293

Thats some seriously ugly work.
Old November 1, 2007, 08:23 PM   #25
Jart

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Obviously you're not attune to the world of custom pistols because the pictures shown show a VERY poorly finished gun.
You are no doubt correct that my attunement is lacking.

I don't have an issue spending 2,000.00 or more on a handgun, but mine aren't mollycoddled and if they didn't start off ugly they'd certainly wind up that way.

STI VIP in a birdbath:

I don't expect many Talon owners will do likewise just to make sure it runs after hitting street cheese.

Different priorities is all.

I've got some pretty ones too, but their mission statement is different. i.e.
BHP.

I'll admit to being surprised how well that BHP has held up to my abuse but it likely has something to do with the hard chrome. Anyhow, if I'm recommending based on accuracy or competency as a weapon, I lean towards the STI.