The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 8, 2006, 09:05 PM   #1
gunslinger555

Theft prevention of my firearms.

I m leaving town for a few days and I don't own a gun safe, being a student with no money I cant afford one right now. So what I did is put all of them in their cases and put them up in the storage space (attic) of my apartment, the storage space is connected to our neighbors! I just wanted to know if their was another way I can hide them so no one will find them if they break in while I'm gone.
Old August 8, 2006, 09:28 PM   #2
skeeter1

You'll probably be OK. When I've gone out of town, I've left mine in my bedroom closet in their cases. I also keep a couple of lights on timers, and have exterior IR-activated security lights in the backyard, and a mercury-vapor street lamp in the front yard, and two cops living across the street from me.

I've thought about getting a proper gunsafe, but they're:

1). Expensive
2). Heavy
3). The only place I could put it would be out in the garage

I'm more concerned that around here, the temperature can range from -20 to +100, and that wouldn't be as good for them as remaining in my climate-controlled house.
Old August 8, 2006, 09:52 PM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Looking for a place to hide them. Hmm...

Seems like they'd be better off in your bedroom closet than in a common attic. Do the neighbors have access to your apartment through the attic or do you share a common, locked attic?

1. Cheap - Buy a Stack-On security cabinet

2. Cheaper - Buy a couple of bicycle cable locks and run them through the action of your guns and around some pipes in your utility closet.

3. Cheapest - Do you have a friend in the area whom you trust? Leave them with him. Or hide them in the box-spring of your bed. Hell, I've got room in my safe - Can I shoot 'em while you're gone?

-Dave
Old August 8, 2006, 09:53 PM   #4
gunslinger555

hmm I might also leave a couple lights on.

(edit:And to think about it their are 3 cops living very close and one is right accost the street, accost a small field)

Last edited by gunslinger555; August 8, 2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old August 8, 2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Jart

Before I had a safe I'd just hand them over to my FFL and pick 'em up when I got back.

Before that, when there were only 2 and they were handguns, I'd pawn them for the smallest loan I could get. The interest was cheaper than they would have charged to house the things. Go figure.
Old August 8, 2006, 11:05 PM   #6
DietCola

Need to safely store them while you are out of town?....disassembly my friend. Take them apart and store the main parts (slide, frame, barrel, etc) in different parts of the house (in cereal boxes, under books, etc).
Old August 8, 2006, 11:11 PM   #7
gunslinger555

Thats a really good idea. I took them down from the attic and put one of the shotguns and the rifle under the couch and the other shotgun is under a pile of dirty cloths and all the handguns are in a small safe.

Last edited by gunslinger555; August 9, 2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old August 9, 2006, 05:57 AM   #8
SOSARMS

Location: The great Buckeye state...where nuts are not just for eating
The first thing i tried before i put together enough money for a safe, I bought one of those pickup tool boxes that have locked doors and put my guns in there. Used a wire cable with a padlock to wrap around in a figure 8 . Was way too heavy for anyone to lift, and besides, most would have thought it was full of tools !!
Old August 9, 2006, 06:33 AM   #9
skeeter1

Thanks to Dave, TheBluesMan, I just ordered one of these:

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus...y/gc-8rta.html

Nothing fancy, but it should be light enough that I can get it (maybe with some help) up into the spare bedroom and bolt it to the wall studs (I have a studfinder). I figure with a half-dozen lagbolts into the studs, it won't be going anywhere.

A big Browning safe was first on my wishlist, but at nearly a half-ton (and $1K), it would have had to go out in the garage, and I really didn't want my guns out there. The .38Spl HD handgun will remain in my bedroom.
Old August 9, 2006, 07:56 AM   #10
gunslinger555

hmm When I get a safe I'm going to get one that too heavy to pick up by hand, the first floor hire is on a concrete slab. I cant drill holes in my apartment. I might get this one http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus...es/gs-410.html I think if they cant pick it up by hand and it has "3 LARGE, live action locking bolts and 3 dead bolts provide 6 locking points for superior security." I think that is good enough.
Old August 10, 2006, 02:57 PM   #11
Mannlicher

and I sure would not tell the world what you are doing.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan