The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 7, 2006, 02:38 PM   #126
BlueTrain

How do you decide which laws to obey? As someone wrote, this land is planted thick with laws and no man could withstand the wind that would blow were they all cut down.

Don't tell me about the war between the states. One side fought for slavery, which is an institution based on kidnapping. Why do you who cry the loudest for freedom always align yourselves with the South?
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 7, 2006, 02:49 PM   #127
atlctyslkr

I see I'm not the only one out there who drags up old threads. Sometimes It's just that good you have to go back for more!

This should be printed out and framed in every gunshop and range in America. It's the unofficial gun owners' creed.
Old August 7, 2006, 04:09 PM   #128
Supertac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrain
Don't tell me about the war between the states. One side fought for slavery, which is an institution based on kidnapping. Why do you who cry the loudest for freedom always align yourselves with the South?
Whatever you say.
Old August 8, 2006, 08:27 AM   #129
Odd-Job

I see from the posts here,i will have plenty of company on the prison-ship ride to Gitmo.
Old August 8, 2006, 08:41 AM   #130
Oregongundude

Nice Post

I enjoyed reading this post
Old August 8, 2006, 10:11 AM   #131
Edward429451

Quote:
Don't tell me about the war between the states. One side fought for slavery, which is an institution based on kidnapping.
Kidnapping?

You need to brush up on your history!
Old August 8, 2006, 10:16 AM   #132
Harley Quinn

Gitmo

Hi,
Pretty distinct term to apply to the island of Cuba. Maybe you might be so kind as to elucidate?

Odd-Job mentions:
I see from the posts here, I will have plenty of company on the prison-ship ride to Gitmo.

HQ
Old August 8, 2006, 01:06 PM   #133
Supertac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Quinn
Hi,
Pretty distinct term to apply to the island of Cuba. Maybe you might be so kind as to elucidate?

Odd-Job mentions:
I see from the posts here, I will have plenty of company on the prison-ship ride to Gitmo.

HQ
He's probably speaking of the detention facilities that some of us may sit it later in ou rlives...
Old August 8, 2006, 01:22 PM   #134
Limeyfellow

Quote:
Why do you who cry loudest for freedom always align yourselves with the South
Probrobly to do with something about how the northern siding states such as Kentucky were allowed to keep their slaves after the civil war ended but the south were barred.

Of course slavery has more to do with keeping the British from siding with the Confederacy than much else, since an invasion from Canada would have seen the union go to hell in a hand basket and wasn't mentioned as an issue for a while after the fighting began.
Old August 8, 2006, 03:28 PM   #135
Mannlicher

A good thread, and one that I am happy to read again.

All I need to know about guns, and their use in America is contained in the following:

United States Constitution, Amendments, Article II:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

What part of this is so frigging diffucult to understand? Frankly, I look at gun control as treason.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 8, 2006, 06:47 PM   #136
Supertac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
.....What part of this is so frigging diffucult to understand? Frankly, I look at gun control as treason.
Agreed
Old August 8, 2006, 11:28 PM   #137
ccwolff

Quote:
I see from the posts here,i will have plenty of company on the prison-ship ride to Gitmo.
Well, when we get there, I call top bunk.

I just reread that first post.
I still agree.

Although, it looks as though the "War on Terror" can now be placed right next to the "War on Drugs" with reference to civil liberties.
Old August 9, 2006, 12:37 PM   #138
Jiml3

Kudos, great post. I hope everybody reads it.

Jiml3
Old August 9, 2006, 04:03 PM   #139
MeekAndMild

Quote:
One side fought for slavery, which is an institution based on kidnapping. Why do you who cry the loudest for freedom always align yourselves with the South?
I do wish that you'd get your facts straight when you defame people. http://www.courant.com/news/local/no...9.storygallery
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 10, 2006, 12:52 AM   #140
skeeter

Marko - Just a question. So you are illegal carrying in NYC and someone bumps into you and feels a object they think is a gun and they tell an officer and you are stopped and questioned and then searched. In NYC you can get 1 year- what would you do?
Old August 10, 2006, 09:38 AM   #141
BlueTrain

Here I am again, talking about ancient history.

First of all, the Civil War (the war of northern agression) was about slavery. Yes, it was about states rights, too, that is, the right of states to have legal slavery. As for slavery itself, where did slaves originally come from (I know, they came from Africa)? They were brought here by people who bought them from people who captured them in raids on the west coast of Africa (the Gold Coast), which is basically nothing more than kidnapping. Argue otherwise.

I think all my ancestors alive at the time (of military age) and definately all of my wife's ancestors (including some not of military age) served the South during that unpleasantness. In fact, my wife's great-great-grandfather, give or take a generation, was the adjutant-general of the Confederate Army, having previously been the adjutant-general of the United States Army. However, he was actually a New Yorker and that may cancel out the first credit. Another ancestor was in Pickett's Charge and live to tell about it. Yet another ancestor, who had been the last private owner of Mt. Vernon (Virginia, not New York) and unfortunately managed to get himself killed during the first year of the war. The ancestor she is most proud of is George Mason who first suggested the RKBA, which I irritate my wife with all the time.

You see, this is Virginia, where the chief religion is ancestor worship.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 10, 2006, 10:30 AM   #142
Edward429451

Quote:
They were brought here by people who bought them from people who captured them in raids on the west coast of Africa (the Gold Coast), which is basically nothing more than kidnapping. Argue otherwise.
No white men ventured inland in Africa in those days because it was too dangerous because of the cannabils. They stayed on the beach and traded with the friendly tribes who would sell off their family members for sugar, rum, & colored cloth. This did four things for the (friendly) Africans. It kept their (traded) family members safe from cannabils. It left them with one less mouth to feed. It let them show a profit for the family. It gave them reassurance that the traded family members would have a better life than if they stayed in Africa.

So you were close but not entirely accurate. Want me to send you some reprints of the old magazine articles that published slave trader journals back then?
Old August 10, 2006, 11:44 AM   #143
Marko Kloos

Wow...now I know everything I need to know about the history of slavery, specifically the trade mechanisms and the "cannabils".

I think it's fitting that I get to close this thread, since I am the one who started it, albeit a few years back and with different intent than to have ot turn into a Slavery-wasn't-really-slavery-and-the-Civil-War-wasn't-about-slavery-anyway history debate. With the education of post-9/11 paranoia and bigotry since the original post, I retroactively wish I hadn't posted it at all. I'm not sure I have too much in common with many of my so-called "allies" other than the fact that we like guns. Call me jaded, but I don't think there's much hope for the future of individual rights, gun rights or others, when the vast majority of the population jealously guards their own favorite Amendment of the Bill of Rights while simultaneously doing their level best to rip their naighbor's favorite Amendment to shreds.

Like one of our member siglines says, "I'm pro-rights...on gun issues." That sums up about 80% of the pro-RKBA crowd, and on some days I think that's optimistic.

Thread closed.

the munchkin wrangler.
Closed Thread