The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 10, 2010, 12:26 PM   #76
jwphillips2

BarbieZ

Thanks for the condolences. As a contractor, they weren't paying me half of what a NASA engineer makes anyway. Gives me more time for shooting.

Did you see my posting of the two 50AE revolvers? This is an extensive mod that requires a new cylinder, hand, extractor and tube, barrel, and threshold for pain. The shorter barrel kicks a LOT less than the longer one and is very accurate. The extra 3 inches in the barrel produces a huge amount of pressure due to powder burn duration. We converted Gary Paul Johnson's Ruger .44 Hunter to a 5-shot about which he wrote an article about 6 years.

Now Gary is a big boy and very experienced in shooting big bores. He was prepared for heavy recoil, but not like this. Grabbing the stock wooden grips hard with both hands, the revolver recoil rotated the frame around and dug the hammer spur into his forearm. He put the revolver down and went out to buy ballistic gloves and rubber grips. I'm not sure he ever had it ported. He told me he can shoot a box of ammo and then has to wait 3 days to recover. I feel the same way. The little one I can shoot all weekend.

One added benefit was that since you could never use the original cylinder again, the old one makes a great pencil holder!

I also forgot to tell you that the .45Mag (6 shot) mod went on the Blackhawk, but the 5-shot .50AE was done on the Super Blackhawk (Hunter).

Last edited by jwphillips2; December 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old December 10, 2010, 01:04 PM   #77
BarbieZ

Thanks for the response.
It will be awhile before I will be able to talk my buddy out of his 50Ae. He teased me for a couple of years with the 2.5" before I found something, he was willing to part with it, to get. The only reason he traded it was because I had the other two.
The 50ae has the shorter barrel on it, so I am glad it will be shootable.
How many of the carbines did you make? There again the gun is a piece of art.
These revolvers are with out a doubt my favorites!
Happy shooting!
Old December 10, 2010, 08:13 PM   #78
dnovo

I enjoy the hell out of my 4.62" Bowen Ruger SA Longhunter conversion in 50AE. Recoil is brisk but not unmanagable. Preferable to one of my FAs in my least favorie load, 454 Casull. Dave
Old December 31, 2010, 10:36 PM   #79
alecbh

WOW, I'm glad I discovered this thread. JW, that's an incredible firearm, and an awesome idea. I'm a sucker for odd/unusual, and I've just had to add another gun to the "bucket list".

That carbine takes the cake though, it's possibly one of the most beautiful firearms I've ever seen. I've always wanted a revolver carbine, but no one made one(until Rossi recently). Add to that the mutli-caliber capability, and.... oooooooh, I get the shivers. I'm interested as to how you got around it spewing hot gases without either, A) a "blast shield", or B) using a gas seal like the m1895 Nagant.

Also, kudos for being willing to answer our questions, that's not something you find very often. I'd love to learn more about these. If you get a website up and running, please let us know. And, if you ever get back into producing these, I want one.

Last edited by alecbh; December 31, 2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old January 1, 2011, 12:12 AM   #80
mes227

JK, it's my understanding the Medusa was successful and that the patent was bought by Colt (just before they essentially left the revolver market)!

I've been told by a distributor in Europe that FN is making the Medusa M47 again and that they are available new there. But I've not verified this.

Last edited by mes227; January 1, 2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old January 6, 2011, 02:04 PM   #81
Trez520

Recently got a Medusa

not long ago i got a medusa and am having trouble with 9mm rounds... they seem to fit tight. i use only new ammo, but only a couple of rounds from a box will fit nicely. so far ive shot .38 spl, .380 acp, and .357 mag with no problems.

thanks in advance for any help!
Old January 17, 2011, 11:09 PM   #82
Linear

MES227

FN making\remaking the Medusa? Don't tease me.

As a FiveseveN owner I'm having a Pavlovian response to reading your post but I know better than to get my hopes up
Old January 18, 2011, 02:34 AM   #83
mes227

Here's an excerpt from one of the emails with this group in London claiming to be selling new production FN Medusas:
----------------
we have used and new ones availble
we have, The new Medusa multicaliber pistol which lets you mix ammo
from .38 to .357 Magnum and Medusa Revolver Cylinder which can fire up to 25 different cartridges in the .38 Special-9mm range.
Barrel Length: 2.5 inch (6.4 cm), 3 inches (7.6 cm), 4 inch (10.2
cm), 5 inch (12.7 cm), or 6 inch (15.2 cm). just depending on what you want.

THE GUN SHOP LTD
SUITE 900 KEMP HOUSE
152-160
CITY ROAD
LONDON
EC1V
Tel:+447024011965
Email:[email protected]
------------------
Old March 9, 2011, 04:02 PM   #84
professorbolin

I have emailed this address with no reply.

any one else get a reply from this email address? I would love to have one of these revolvers.
Old April 21, 2011, 03:38 PM   #85
dukeintexas

[email protected] medusas...

yeah guy claims he has 500 in london:

Thanks for the mail.

We are licensed company
Available:
Barrel Length: 2.5 inch (6.4 cm),
3 inches (7.6 cm),
5 inch (12.7 cm)
Price:300Euro per unit
Availability:500units.
Minimum Order:2units
Delivery:3 working days
Paymentayable through western union..Full payment is required before
shipment but shipment is free.
How many do you need,
Get back to me with your full delivery details and the quantity
needed so we can issue you an invoice to sign and also proceed on
delivery.
Regards,
Joe

THE GUN PUBLIC HOUSE LIMITED
DEVONSHIRE HOUSE
60 GOSWELL ROAD
LONDON
EC1M 7AD
Te:+447011182845

I asked if I could go take a look or send a friend to examine the guns, and they said "all are find and working, and we give 6 month guarantee"

Noway its not a scam, and they ask for a money order...

Wish it wasn't. I'm new to the hunt, but Mr. Phillips you certainly made a cult following. Been trying for a couple months now, and its an interesting world of folks out there searching for these jewels.

Any sellers our there please let me know as well, but it appears I'm at the back of a long(ish) line.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:53 PM   #86
Sport45

Quote:
A pub in London that sells handguns? Sounds fishy to me.
Old April 22, 2011, 06:39 PM   #87
dukeintexas

Thats what I thought as well. Now the guy is saying I can come look..scared to send someone to get mugged in an alley.

Any news if someone is really producing more medusas?
Old April 23, 2011, 01:11 AM   #88
curt.45

I pm'd JP and aksed him to respond to this thread if any one knows he should.
Old April 24, 2011, 03:45 PM   #89
Apocalus

Hopeful

Wow! I feel like I've been banging my head against the wall looking for one of these m47s! I feel like I've learned a lot!
I have also bumped into this 'Joe23' fellow.

Sounds suspicious;

Re: Medusa M47 From joe23
4/21/2011 12:53 PM

Thanks for the mail.
We are licensed company and we can export to any country.
Available:
Barrel Length: 2.5 inch (6.4 cm),
3 inches (7.6 cm),
5 inch (12.7 cm)
Price:300Euro per unit
Availability:500units.
Minimum Order:2units
Delivery:3 working days
Paymentayable through western union..Full payment is required before
shipment but shipment is free.
How many do you need,
Get back to me with your full delivery details and the quantity
needed so we can issue you an invoice to sign and also proceed on
delivery.
Regards,
Joe

DEVONSHIRE HOUSE
60 GOSWELL ROAD
LONDON
EC1M 7AD
Te:+447011182845I have contacted

I sent e-mails to 'joe23' and various authorities in the UK asking for information on how I might verify this company's credentials.

'joe23' has responded;

Re: Medusa M47 From joe23
4/24/2011 9:05 AM

Check our details on UK company house.

Companies House UK is similar to a corporate registry. So while the company is registered, the data contained there is supplied by the registrants. Most of it electronically. So, this info would seem to me to be of little value.

Someone suggested that the M47s were of new FN manufacture, so I fired off an e-mail to ask them about it.

I'll be following this thread closely.
In the mean time I'm looking for 2 or 3 of these things in 5"

(yes, I'll keep dreaming)
Old April 26, 2011, 07:59 PM   #90
jwphillips2

Random thoughts...

Some things to think about...

The first thing I did when I saw this (alerted by my son, Clay) was to do a street view of Google maps. The building exists, but there is no indication that this company works from there even though two other companies are listed on the front door. That may not mean much, but interesting nevertheless.

1. My patent protection extends to Britain and Belgium through the European Patent Office (and you thought firearms mfg was simple). No notification from Fabrique Nationale yet even though I would be cool with that.

2. A Purchase Order from these guys should require some serial numbers. What are they. Ask if you can get consecutive serial numbers.

3. Which proof house do they use? How many different caliber proof stamps are they required to use?

4. If you're not an FFL holder, SOMEONE has to go through The State Department to get permission for importing these firearms.

5. You're going to need a paper trail. What bank do they use?

I've got a few more ponderables, but I need to eat. Be right back.
Old April 26, 2011, 08:30 PM   #91
jwphillips2

More

6. Insurance Product Liabilities Underwriters?

7. 6 months guarantee! Parts and labor? Parts? How much for parts and are they replacement compatible?

8. Licensed? By whom?

9. Registered with Interpol and the U.S. National Forensics Lab? I know the answer to this one....

Anyone else want to join in on this?
Old April 26, 2011, 08:39 PM   #92
jwphillips2

I also saw that there was a difference between the addresses on the two letters.

DEVONSHIRE HOUSE
60 GOSWELL ROAD
LONDON
EC1M 7AD

THE GUN SHOP LTD
SUITE 900 KEMP HOUSE
152-160
CITY ROAD
LONDON
EC1V

The same email though...
Old April 26, 2011, 09:20 PM   #93
jwphillips2

Hmmmmmmmmm

Is there any chance this was posted on April 1st?
Old April 26, 2011, 09:30 PM   #94
C0untZer0

The Korth does this too:

.357 , 38 Special & interchangeable cylunder for 9mm.

http://www.korthusa.com/rev_models_en.htm
Old April 26, 2011, 09:41 PM   #95
Sport45

An internet search for The Gun Public House got me some reviews for a nice pub.

I also though the gun control laws in England were pretty strict. It would probably be hard for a national to buy a handgun there. I can't imagine it would be any easier for a foreigner.

But I'm sure the place would be happy to accept anyone's money.
Old April 26, 2011, 09:43 PM   #96
jwphillips2

Interchangeable cylinders? Interchangeable barrels? Half-moon clips?? Well, that's just heresy!
(just kidding)

It does mean that you can't shoot a 9mm and a .357 at the same time.

Last edited by jwphillips2; April 28, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old April 26, 2011, 09:54 PM   #97
jwphillips2

"An internet search for The Gun Public House got me some reviews for a nice pub.

I also thought the gun control laws in England were pretty strict. It would probably be hard for a national to buy a handgun there. I can't imagine it would be any easier for a foreigner.

But I'm sure the place would be happy to accept anyone's money. "
-----------------------------------------------------------

One of the smoothest DAs I've ever fired was the 357 prototyped by Sterling Firearms. This was the original Sterling of England (made a great little machine gun), not the Sterling Firearms of Lockport, NY. Both are now out of business and I did work with both.

I think you'll need a pub after doin' a deal with these guys.
Old April 27, 2011, 07:24 AM   #98
mes227

These people had a Medusa on GB or GunsAmerica last summer. I wrote them and got an immediate reply. Various emails later where they td me they 500 new and 450 used Medusas in stock but when pressed sent me a stock photo. When I asked specifics about gun SNs and shipping into the US they stopped answering my emails. Many months later, back in February, I wrote them again and heard back in a couple weeks. Them I told them I was going to be in London (true) and wanted to meet with them face to face. Haven't heard a word back!
Old April 27, 2011, 11:43 AM   #99
jwphillips2

Not surprising. No one but a mfg realizes how over-regulated the industry really is. I didn't mention several Fed agencies (such as Customs or Treasury, FBI, etc.) nor the zillions of other state and local agencies who have their own hoops for law abiding U.S. Citizens to jump through.

I did notice one other thing about these guys. If you don't want to shoot and drink at the pub like we do here in Texas, the guys at the Gun House offer additional barrel lengths. Bonus!

I'd ask for a dealer sample. You never know.
Old April 27, 2011, 04:12 PM   #100
jwphillips2

One additional thought about how restricted we are here in the U.S., as much as we complain about our gun rights, it could always be worse. Germany will not allow you to buy ammo for a gun you don't have registered to you. Think about that for a minute and how diabolical it is. You own a gun but can't buy ammo. Pretty effective gun control, huh? That is why there was such a firestorm in the German Parliament about the Medusa. Buy a Medusa and you could legally buy any ammo it would shoot.

Now, if someone breaks into your home in Germany and threatens your family's life, all you need to do is drag them over to the gun club (the only legal place you can store your gun), check your own gun out (don't forget your registration paper) and then you can hold them at gunpoint (don't forget to load it) 'til the polizei arrive. The police are under the same restriction if you were wondering.