The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 2, 2001, 11:01 PM   #1
Swamp Yankee

A Few CZ-97B Questions

At the range today the gent in the next station was shooting some mighty small groups with a CZ-97B. This was my first oppertunity to see one in action up close and was quite impressed. Asked the shooter about it and his response was if I wanted to try it, go to the counter and get a box of ammo. Suffice to say he didn't have to offer twice.
I really enjoyed shooting his CZ-97, and am seriously considering picking one up as I do not have a .45 in the present inventory. Shot wonderful groups but all were low and left. I have a few observations and questions, hopefully you can provide some feedback. Did a quick search but didn't really find what I was looking for.
1- No doubt about it, this pistol is size big. Normally I like and shoot large pistols well but I found it difficult to fire the CZ in DA as the trigger reach was to long. Does CZ or anyone offer a replacement short reach trigger for the CZ-97? SA was no problem.
2- Does anyone offer adjustable sights for the CZ-97. I checked CZ's website but found nothing listed?
3- Does any one own one of these and care to share your thoughts and comments?
4- Has any one had an action/ trigger job performed on one? The stock trigger on the one I shot seemed a tad heavy with substantial creep in SA.
5- Going rate for a new CZ-97B? I seem to think they run about $500 to $550 new. Rarely see used CZ's of any model so unless I hit a stroke of luck finding one used is probably not an option.
As always, Thanks in advance for the responses.
Take Care
Old September 2, 2001, 11:40 PM   #2
CZ_

Quote:
1- No doubt about it, this pistol is size big. Normally I like and shoot large pistols well but I found it difficult to fire the CZ in DA as the trigger reach was to long. Does CZ or anyone offer a replacement short reach trigger for the CZ-97? SA was no problem.
I use my CZ 97B in single action only (cocked and locked). I don't bother with the DA trigger since I can't reach it correctly anyway (the grip is huge). To my knowledge, CZ does not offfer a short reach trigger at this time, so if you get it you will have just use the SA trigger and safety.

Quote:
2- Does anyone offer adjustable sights for the CZ-97. I checked CZ's website but found nothing listed?
I honestly don't know the answer. Sorry.

Quote:
3- Does any one own one of these and care to share your thoughts and comments?
I love mine. I tried the comparable Kimber and Springfield 1911 models before buying the CZ97B, and I decided on the CZ because it shot tighter groups! If you examine it closely, it is very well made with very tight tolerances.

Quote:
4- Has any one had an action/ trigger job performed on one? The stock trigger on the one I shot seemed a tad heavy with substantial creep in SA.
My CZ 97B came with a very good stock SA trigger. I see no need to have trigger work on it. I think you would need to try the specific gun before deciding if action/trigger work is necessary. I say this because most likely no two CZ 97B's will have the exact same SA trigger feel.

Quote:
5- Going rate for a new CZ-97B? I seem to think they run about $500 to $550 new. Rarely see used CZ's of any model so unless I hit a stroke of luck finding one used is probably not an option.
I paid $550 for mine, but I live in pricey Northern California. I think CZ Connection has the CZ97B as low as $479. Note that price depends a lot on what area of the country you live in.

Quote:
As always, Thanks in advance for the responses.
Your very welcome. Let us know what you decide.
Old September 2, 2001, 11:43 PM   #3
Stephen Ewing

1) EAA makes an SA-only outfit which fits a 75. Might fit a 97, but I'm still trying to figure out if I like it on a 75.

2) Dunno.

3) Love 'em.

4) Still not sure how I feel about those EAA triggers on the 75s. Trigger jobs on the 97s wait until I get mags for the AR-10 out of the way.

5)Picked one up for $480 from J&G, and the other for about the same from an outfit in South Texas.

Steve
Old September 3, 2001, 01:03 AM   #4
Oris

Got my CZ-97B direct from CZ-USA, total cost $485.

SA trigger was initially O.K., but it's getting so much better
with use, you do not need to mess with it. DA pull is marvelous,
super smooth and light, but a bit long, however, with use of half-cock, it''s just about right for anybody. In fact, it's the lightest DA I've ever experienced with any semi-auto pistol.

Pistol shoots to the point of aim, no need for adjustment, at least
mine was perfectly zeroed at the factory.

Accuracy is simply phenomenal, despite pretty loose barrel/bushing setup, and it is amazing by itself. Reliabilty is
100% with FMJ and HP, I did not try any cast bullets yet...

I bet in some time people will start bulding competion guns on
CZ-97B platform, when more accesories become available.
Old September 3, 2001, 10:26 PM   #5
Joe Klug

Don't know about question 1.

Aftermarket adjustable sights are not available yet (as far as I know). I suspect that they and other accessories will come out after the pistol gains a bit more popularity. I want a set of rubber grips for mine.

The 97 is the most accurate pistol I own. It goes to the range more often than any other. It's a real joy to shoot.

Mine doesn't need a trigger job. The more you shoot it the better the trigger feels.

I think I paid about $490 for mine. I've seen one or two used for $399 but they didn't last long.

The CZ97B I can highly recommend. It's a great pistol.

Joe
Old September 4, 2001, 05:54 PM   #6
Peter M. Eick

Question 1) Do not know.

Question 2) I have not seen the need to buy an adjustable sight yet for it. To me the 97b is a plinking gun.

Question 3) I love mine. Very accurate plinking gun. Lots of fun to shoot. Easy to reload for, just keep your cartraige AOL below 1.272 for hardball. Easy gun to clean and use. I would summarize it as my go to gun for when I just want to have some fun. Definately a good buy.

Question 4) I could not see the need. Both DA/SA is excellent, no problems here.

Question 5) I paid $650 for mine with 6 magazines and a hard case (or at least that is what I remember).

Get one, great gun, lots of fun.