The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 18, 2002, 06:09 PM   #1
Swamp Yankee

Need Info. Purchase of long Gun by Legal Alien

Being the resident gun nut at work, one of the cad operators asked me about a purchasing a firearm for home defense. He has little experience with firearms but apparently used to shoot clay pigeons with his brother from time to time. We discussed his needs and desires a little bit and then he asked a question I could not answer.
He is not a US citizen, but is Dutch. He has lived in the US for almost 30 years and has all his legal registration papers and work permits. His wife is a US citizen. Are there were any restrictions on his owning a firearm? I told him I didn't think so but would try to find out more.
Could anyone shed some light on what if any restrictions or what documentation is needed for him to own a firearm?
As always, Thanks in Advance for the responses.
Take Care
Old October 18, 2002, 06:41 PM   #2
Nanaimo Barr

federaly, no, as long as he is a documented legal resident alien (meaning INS hasn't screwed up his records). there is a requierment on the 4473 (?) form to show proof that he has lived in his current residence for 90 days, have him check with the FFL dealer what they will accept as proof, I know drivers licences and CCW's are not acceptable. but phone bills are. (go figure)

HOWEVER

have him check with the State AG office, some states don't care, (ID) some states have it as a felony for a legal alien to be in possession of a firearm. some require special permits. (Washington State requires a Alien Firearm Permit).

and also check with any state that he may plan to travel to with the firearm, WA for example does not allow legal aliens from any other state to be in possession of a firearm in WA state.