The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 10, 2002, 12:12 PM   #1
Lavan

Add me to the "I got mine" club

Reluctantly, I am not going to get another gun. I was browsing gun shop buying a Lansky sharpener and overheard a guy being told that a private party transfer will still subject the buyer to the Calif licensing requirement ....AND....all gun purchasers must now have a gun safe.

Now, as you all know, I am a proponent of gun safes....BUT...turns out my existing safe made by that little known maker....what's the name....oh yeah.....Browning.....may not be good ENOUGH for the g.d. state. Mine has no UL sticker as it was sold only to keep guns safe. Silly huh?

Oh there's an alternative. I can sign an AFFIDAVIT that my safe is x thick and x hardened and has x possible combos and x locking bolts.......and then IF it doesn't, there is then my recorded affidavit to help the lawyer that sues me when someone steals my gun and plays sniper with it.

I have plenty of guns.....but.....this is really crappy. Moving is not an option due to health insurance and age.

I think I am .....too....old. Too many memories of sensible times.
Old November 10, 2002, 02:04 PM   #2
BamBam

Lavan,
Sorry to hear about your plight. Guess all you can really do is vote and support pro- 2nd organizations.
Is the safe requirement in effect now or does it kick in in 2003?
Guess it won't apply to guns you already own.

Buy plenty for National Ammo Day,

BamBam
Old November 10, 2002, 04:11 PM   #3
Ironbarr

Lavin...

unless you're tied to local family things, it's just inertia. Remember that old saw, "An object in motion tends to remain in motion" - (let's call it paraphrased since I probably messed it up.)?

You could always convince yourself that you've just recieved PCS orders to (your favorite gun appreciation state).

Which reminds me - isn't there a group wanting to split Kali in two - one for "them" and one for "regular people"??

'Course, I'm in a similar posit re age and inertia, but to my fortune (and credit too, since I made the choice), I'm in Virginia - and not my previous home of record... New Jersey. I can't see how my hometown pre-mil career friends with guns can stay there. Then there's the politics, etc. Uh uh! Not me.

Who knows, maybe the next few years will change things for you - maybe all of us.

-IB

Old November 10, 2002, 04:46 PM   #4
DaleA

Many times I think I have more respect for the antis that just come right out and say they don't want anyone to have any guns period. Josh Sugarman 'Every Handgun Is Aimed At You'. Comes to mind.

The underhanded way some antis work disgusts me.

We don't want to take your guns but---
You need a SAFE (and it must be an APPROVED safe.)
You need a 10 pound trigger pull on your guns.
Your guns must be approved by a consumer safety council.
You must not have a criminal record to own a gun. (Sounds good but they want to include some misdemeanors as well as any felonies.)
You need to have liability insurance on your gun like you have on your car.
You must be trained (and it must be APPROVED training).

etc.
Old November 10, 2002, 05:37 PM   #5
bruels

AB 106 (stats. 1999, ch. 246) (Scott/Aroner) (1999 bill - Included due to Provisions Operative 1/1/2002)

Commencing January 1, 2002, requires all firearms sold, transferred, or manufactured in California to include a firearm safety device approved by the Attorney General. Specified transactions (including antique firearms, law enforcement firearms, and transactions involving a prior purchase of an approved safety device or qualifying gun safe) are exempt from this requirement. The DOJ has certified laboratories to test firearms safety devices for compliance with DOJ standards. The DOJ maintains a roster that lists all of the tested safety devices that comply with DOJ standards for sale in this state. Interested parties may request a copy of the roster from the DOJ or access it on the DOJ website at http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist.htm
(PC ยง 12088.1).

Now, where does it say that you have to buy a safe?

For more information on what happens in 2003, see http://www.caag.state.ca.us/firearms/2001bills.htm.

Bruce
Old November 10, 2002, 06:04 PM   #6
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Now that Red Davis has been reelected, watch for the nickel a around tax to make a reappearance in the People's Republic of California legislature in January or Febuary, 2003. It's going to be "for the sake of public safety," of course.
Old November 11, 2002, 05:32 AM   #7
Pendragon

Lavan,

You are not required to have a safe.

Just do what I do when you buy a gun - go to Wal-Mart and buy one of the CA-DOJ approved cable locks, take it to the dealer and show them the lock along with the reciept and get your guns.

Then - return the locks to Wal-Mart

100% legal and effective.

You may have to document that it is legal - some shops want to sell you a $18 cable lock or something
Old November 11, 2002, 06:07 AM   #8
archeryfanatic

Pendragon

LOL- Excellent idea!

Wish I had read this a couple of months ago! Serves me right for not using my head.
Old November 11, 2002, 11:26 AM   #9
twoblink

Standing Wolf,

You got it wrong, it's not for public safety, it's "For the CHILDREN" :barf:

The PRK, LA specifically, watch out for the ammo tax, the thumbprint requirement for ammo and firearms purchase etc..

They've been at it for years, and now with Red Davis (I like that!) back on the hill, it looks like more restrictive gun laws on the way..

I guess the people of Kalifornia basically said that they don't mind that Davis screwed them out of $20Billion in energy bills...:barf:
Old November 11, 2002, 11:41 AM   #10
Lavan

Calif Repubs like to shoot

themselves in the foot. Bill Jones was a primary candidate who would have trounced Davis.

But Davis helped Simple Simon win the primary and Simp REALLY did some fine dancing with fraud, lawsuits, and miscellaneous other stupid goofs.

It is sad to see how many votes Simon DID get. Mine included. But they were all votes AGAINST Davis.

The Republican party is a gullible one.
Old November 11, 2002, 12:17 PM   #11
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Sign the af-Davis & go on with your life.

Secure properly (enough) your shooters, stay away from those who might invade & steal & be responsible, as always.

Decorum dictates I say further regards yer "safety" laws.

Lifestyle likely, more than anything, dictates whether you'll fall "victum" regards anything unsully.
Old November 11, 2002, 06:32 PM   #12
Schuey2002

Now I Know what it's like living in South Korea....