The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 27, 2008, 02:58 PM   #1
wyobohunter

Ruger Charger

Anybody tried one of these yet? Pretty cool looking little toy, just might have to pick one up.
Old October 27, 2008, 03:47 PM   #2
tulsamal

Why did you post this in Rifles?

I played with a new one my buddy bought. We stuck a red dot on it and played around in my pasture. It did jam quite a bit. I don't think we ever even got through a ten round factory mag without at least one jam. The extended mag had even more. We were using bulk Federal if I remember. I told him to go get some more ammo before we got too discouraged. Maybe that ammo was just underpowered.

When it worked, it was rather fun. It could be a good firearm for squirrel hunting in some situations. As a long range plinker, my kids would probably shoot up a whole bunch of ammunition!

Gregg
Old October 27, 2008, 03:51 PM   #3
wyobohunter

wasn't sure where to post this one

Although it is technically a handgun it doen't seem like the typical 22 pistol/revolver. I agree that the jam problem was likely the ammo. It should cycle anything a regular 10/22 does shouldn't it?
Old October 27, 2008, 03:54 PM   #4
tulsamal

I would think so. I wasn't surprised with the banana mag but my 10/22 rifle never jams with the standard 10 round factory mag. We had double feeds and brass that jammed into the wood outside of the extraction port, etc, etc. Surely it just needs to be broken in a bit and maybe use better ammo. We fired about 150 rounds before we moved on to something else.

Gregg
Old October 27, 2008, 04:42 PM   #5
wyobohunter

Then I'd guess that the shorter bbl has something (everything?) do do w/the jamming. More powder burned outside of the bbl = less force exerted on the bolt, I think. Try some high velocity loads. I wish the thing came in .22 mag.
Old October 27, 2008, 06:27 PM   #6
Wayward_Son

I love mine. It is also jamtastic on everything I've fed it except CCI Stingers and Mini-Mags. When loaded with those it's a fun range plinker. I mounted a cheap Barska red dot but I'm saving my pennies for one of Leupold's handgun scopes.
Old October 27, 2008, 07:14 PM   #7
bigghoss

10/22's need to be broken in!! mine would only feed cci's reliably untill it got broken in. now it runs like a champ with any crap ammo.

I don't have a charger (yet) but this is my experience with my carbine, as well as many many people I've talked with.
Old October 28, 2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Wayward_Son

That's good news, Hoss. What do I need to do, just shoot the everliving crap out of my Charger? So far I think I have 200 rounds through it. It should be much higher than that but I've gotten bored with the red dot sight and am waiting on a quality scope to really test the accuracy. I'd like to see what the gun can do at 100 yards without any changes to the barrel, trigger or action.

Plus, I have so much fun shooting my lever Marlin and me three double-action revolvers.
Old October 28, 2008, 06:56 PM   #9
MrNiceGuy

i must be lucky
we've put thousands of rounds through ours without a problem using both the factory mags and the banana mags

i used it hunting ground squirrels last year with a red dot, it was an absolute blast

i'm right hand/eye dominant but my vision in my right eye has gone to crap. so using the red dot on the charger i was able to still hold it right handed and aim with my left eye. it was the most natural i've felt firing a gun since i've had to switch eyes
Old October 29, 2008, 05:03 AM   #10
preventec47

If you want all the scoop on "anything rimfire" stuff, visit the
Rimfire Central forum. Have fun.
Old October 29, 2008, 10:10 AM   #11
Pahoo

First off, I don't like "Bulk Pack" .22's but use them for plinkers. When I first got my Charger, had a big problem with the Federals as they were under-loaded. Luckily had some Remington bulk pack with me they cycled just fine. My target 22's are Winchester Super-X and CCI's and they cycled just right and my Ywllow-Jackets were screamers. This Charger is just plain fun to shoot and have sold off two of my 10/22's. Did a trigger job, buffer and extended mag. Gave up on the Bi-Pod and just use my regular rest. Great groups and great shooter. By the way, I have a rifle scope on mine.

Be Safe !!!
Old October 29, 2008, 02:18 PM   #12
8t6gt

Federal American Eagle bulk is horrible 22 ammo in 10/22s mine jam that every clip. But if I put Remmy thunderbolt bulk through it. It wont jam one single shell
Old October 29, 2008, 06:10 PM   #13
bigghoss

wayward son

get some cci's and run a few hundred rounds through it. cci's are a bit hotter than most and they are coated with wax. before mine was broke in thats all that would go through mine. now it will eat anything. get some good 25rd mags and probably 400-500 cci's just to be sure.
Old October 30, 2008, 12:30 AM   #14
Inspector3711

There is a rod that the bolt slides up and down on. My newest 10/22 would jam frequently until I cleaned the rod and lubed it with light gun oil. I use Federal Automatch and not only is it really accurate, I haven't had a jam in over 1000 rounds of Federal bulk and Remington golden, and 300 rounds of federal Automatch. the Automatch is stocked at my local Walmart for 13 or 14 bucks a box. By the way, I haven't cleaned the action once since I lubed that rod. Automatch seems to run a bit clenaer than CCI which I used on my two previous 10/22's.

Read the manual, these rifles/pistols aren't timed for hyper velocity ammo and will jam more often if you use it.