The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2002, 11:44 AM   #1
Sport45

200gr LSWCHP?

I've read that for a .38 the old "FBI" load with a 158gr LSWCHP s a fair choice for defense. I was just thinking that a semi-wadcutter HP for the 1911 might also be effective, but I haven't seen one. Does anybody make such an animal? Seems like since the .38 and the 45acp operate at about the same velocities, then the bullets might behave similarly.
Old August 14, 2002, 12:14 PM   #2
griz

T & T reloading sells a 185 SWCHP. IIRC it's Star brand. I bought some at the last gun show but haven't loaded any yet. I was thinking along the same lines, a low pressure but effective load because the bullet would open up well.
Old August 14, 2002, 01:07 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

I wish T&T would sell a RNHP or a TCHP, as those SWC's won't feed in my Glock 30. For that matter, I'd like to see them sell 185 or 200gr bullets in ANY OTHER profile than SWC. There's a good reason that I've been shooting 230gr bullets exclusively....
Sport45- you could also try casting one. I know that Lee makes hollow point .452" moulds.
Old August 14, 2002, 01:22 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

.45 ACP TCHP?

Isn't this essentially what the Hornady 200 XTP JHP is? Frontier loads this in 230 and 200 versions and all I've tried were good loads--Accurate and of fairly stiff velocities.

For practice, somewhat less expensively, you can load the 230 jacketed TC flat point bullet. I presume they make the same bullet in 200 gr, but am not positive.

Hornady also makes a 200 FMJSWC bullet they call the "CT," (combat target??) to the same front-end design as the H&G #68 bullet. Practically any pistol that will feed hardball will feed this bullet. It was designed so that the nose and shoulder would be congruent with the ogive of the factory hardball.

I load both this bullet and the H&G 68 design with dies remaining set for 230 ball, and I don't even change the powder settings, when using the 6.2 gr Unique load.

Best,
Johnny Guest
Old August 14, 2002, 02:52 PM   #5
griz

Poodleshooter,
Here's a RNFP weighing in at a mere 200 grains:

http://www.pennbullets.com/45/45200rnfp.html
Old August 15, 2002, 10:54 AM   #6
Poodleshooter

RNFP-Now that's a nice design in .452. I'm too cheap to pay for shipping, and too poor to pay for them in quantities that shipping starts to become justifiable.
I could get just about any weight and design I wanted, but the local gunshow vendor (TNT) only stocks 230LRN and 185 and 200gr LSW in .452.
Johnny-XTP's: Aren't those one of those expensive,newfangled jacketed bullets I keep hearing about?
I've shot those and the Sierra bullet that is similar to the HornadyCT, but that gets a might expensive when you start talking 5000ct boxes. Other than combat ammo, I just don't see a need for anything other than swaged or cast lead in a .45 auto.
Old August 16, 2002, 09:19 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

SOCIAL WORK

Reliability is prime.

Round nose bullets work best; Remington's HP versions work well.

Reliability is so critical as to take total precedence; your gun must go bang.