The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 2, 2005, 10:12 AM   #1
RAHatto

Building a .357 cleaning kit

Greeting
I will be picking up my revolver soon (NIB S&W model 66 2 1/2 in barrel), and I would like to build a cleaning kit to take care of it. I am not really worried about cost or bulk just quality and what I need. The only thing is I do want only bits for 38/.357 not a universal kit.
I am looking for suggestions from experance with revolvers. Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 2, 2005, 10:55 AM   #2
KyJim

You can probably get a kit at Walmart or a local dealer for the particular caliber weapon. It should include brass cleaning rod with brass bore brush in appropriate caliber (not steel). Some brushes are polymer and these are okay. It should also include an eyelet attachment where small patches can be inserted. Old t-shirts can be used to cut the patches. Bore cleaner (e.g., Hoppes #9) and gun oil should be included. Also, include a toothbrush or cotton swabs to help get at small places.

I also like to use a strong piece of twine or string with a loop tied at the end in order to pull the patches through the barrel. You should try to run the rod from the opposite end of the muzzle to avoid the possibility of scratching the muzzle end because there will be a greater impact on accuracy of the bullet leaving the muzzle. In a revolver, this is next to impossible so that is why I use the twine with the loop through it. This at least minimizes the possibility of damage (you still have to run the brush through the other end).

Those are items you'll need for everyday use. If you shoot unjacketed ammunition a lot, you may eventually need something stronger to clean out the lead.
Old September 2, 2005, 11:38 AM   #3
Bullrock

Beautiful gun. I have one, and want another. Any hint's on where I can find another...Oh, here's the one I own...
Old September 2, 2005, 12:22 PM   #4
RAHatto

I got my 66 from B&H @ Merritt Island, Fl. I asked to see a 686 2 1/2 in and he brought it out instead. It was perfect for me because I was looking for a 66 but they had been discontinued for years. This was still new in box just mixed in with the 686's. They never knew it was there. I was happy to say the least , and at $550 I had too. They do not have any more thou.

I was planning to use a Boresnake, but unsure of cleaner/lube M-pro 7, Breakfree CLP, and other bits that would be a good idea. I have experance with military weapons but I have not owned or cleaned a revolver. Only shot a few hundread rounds thru different revolvers. Any help is appreciated.
Old September 2, 2005, 12:46 PM   #5
Brian Williams

Bore snake
40 cal brush for charge holes/chambers
357 cal brush for bore
pistol length rod
Lewis/Brownells lead remover (if you shoot a lot of lead)
mix in your favorite cleaner and lube,
Old September 2, 2005, 03:25 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

Here's my revolver kit:

A stainless steel rod with a cone-shaped brass or plastic muzzle protector. (NO brass or aluminum rods, stainless or synthetic coated ONLY).
Brass button-type tips.
Brownell's round cotton patches.
A Brownell's Lewis Lead Remover Kit.
Brownell's BRONZE chamber cleaning brushes.
Bronze bore brushes.
A "Lead-Away" type cloth.
A plastic hobby paint transfer bulb to apply solvent.
Bore solvent.
A screwdriver-like brass scraper to remove lead from around the rear of the barrel.
A brass "toothbrush" to scrub around the barrel, breech face, and cylinder face.
Ordinary solvent-proof toothbrushes.
Old September 2, 2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Russ5924

Like Kyjim said take a trip to Walmart and get a cleaning kit there and get a few extra brush's.Go up one size like .44 to clean the Cly's out, the .38 brush works great on the barrel but to small for the Cly.To me that is the biggest reason people can't get the fouling out of the Cly.