The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2006, 08:23 AM   #1
Skylark

Spotting scope for targets at 25 yards.

Anyone try the NCSTAR 15-40x50 spotting scope that is selling on ebay for the buy it now price of $29.99? All I need is to be able to see the bullet holes on targets 25 yards away at the pistol range so I don't need anything expensive. Any other recommendations for an inexpensive spotting scope for 25 yards? What power magnification is needed to see 9mm bullet holes at 25 yards?

Here's a link to the one one ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-15-40x50-ZOO...QQcmdZViewItem

And when that link is gone, here's some info on that scope from that link:

NCSTAR
15-40x50 RUBBER ARMORED
SPOTTING SCOPE
w/ TRIPOD + DELUXE CARRY CASE
+ DELUXE LENS CLEANING KIT

BRAND NEW
OFFICIAL NCSTAR- LEADER IN OPTICS
ZOOM ADJUSTABLE
MAGNIFICATION- 15x - 40x
OBJECTIVE DIA (MM) - 50
FIELD OF VIEW AT 100 YRDS- 2.5 FT
FINISH COLOR - GREEN / BLACK
LEN COATING - GREEN
N.W. - 12.8 oz
LENGTH - 8.5 incH
MILITARY QUALITY
RUBBER ARMORED
SOFT RUBBER EYE REST
fog proof
water RESISTANT
wide field of view
sharp & crisp view
Tripod included
LENS CAP/SUNSHADE
Storage Case Included!!
lifetime warranty

DELUXE LENS CLEANING KIT

The GREEN Lens Will Capture More Light!
The GREEN coloration is not only cool looking but further enhances light gathering ability at dusk or low light conditions. In the bright sun, they cut sun glare and reflection. ES, They are intended to brighten dark environments, but will not allow you to see in complete darkness. The GREEN coated lenses illuminates any little light (starlight, moonlight). All you need is any hint of light .No batteries are required.

Yes. These are Multi Coated Too!
Multi-coated Lenses are an important feature in a SCOPE for reducing light loss. Magnesium fluoride is applied to the lens improve Clarity and reducing Glare due to reflection.
Old September 4, 2006, 09:07 AM   #2
HankC1

I use a 20-30X cheap harbourfreight and I can see .22 holes at 50 yds.
Old September 4, 2006, 09:27 AM   #3
rick_reno

Indoor range? or outdoor? If it's well lit indoor it should work fine. I used a Kowa 20x for our indoor range and it worked great under poor lighting.
Old September 4, 2006, 03:34 PM   #4
robmkivseries70

Hi ,
Unless you need a rifle scope too, get some binoculars. I have a cheap pair of 7 X 50s that does fine at 25 yards out doors. Go some place where you can play with the samples and focus on something across the store. You might be surprised at which ones have the sharper lenses. Good Luck.
Rob
Old September 4, 2006, 04:54 PM   #5
Skylark

Quote:
Indoor range? or outdoor?
Outdoor range, daytime only.

Didn't know that a 7x binoculars would enable me to see the bullet holes at 25 yards. I'll have to go to a store and check some out like you suggested.

Guess it will be pretty hard to beat the $26 ebay one though as far as magnification and price goes. Think the "green" lens won't matter just for spotting bullet holes or do you think it be annoying?

Keep the suggestions coming,
Skylark
Old September 4, 2006, 04:55 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

That should work. At 25 yards or so, I use plain Nikon 10x50mm binocs.
Old September 4, 2006, 04:58 PM   #7
JoeHatley

Quote:
Didn't know that a 7x binoculars would enable me to see the bullet holes at 25 yards.
Yes, 7X would be plenty. In fact, at 25 yards I can see .22 holes, and my eyesight is terrible.

Joe

Last edited by JoeHatley; September 5, 2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old September 4, 2006, 05:16 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

I use a set of cheapo 8x compact binoculars (I think they came free with some mail order I placed in the distant past). They're more than adequate for .22 holes at 25yards.
Old September 4, 2006, 06:04 PM   #9
Skylark

Binoculars would be more useful than a spotting scope. I'll definitely have to check some out. Thanks for all the confirmation folks.
Old October 1, 2006, 02:35 AM   #10
Skylark

Went to the local "Sports Authority" store but they were all out of spotting scopes. Checked out their binoculars and ended up buying a Tasco 10 x 50 for only $39.95.

In my un-scientific 25 yard test in the store I was surprised when I tested a few more expensive Bushnell binoculars in 10 x 50 and 12 x 50. They were dimmer than the Tasco and could not focus as sharply as the Tasco. I thought for sure that it would be the other way around.

I have yet to go to the range to test the Tasco but as Rob said "You might be surprised at which ones have the sharper lenses." Yup I was pleasantly surprised that I got what I considered to be the best 10 x 50 under $150 at that store at the cheapest price.

Thanks folks for your advice,
Skylark