The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 14, 2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Peptobismol9

Mosin nagant Extractor troubles?

I havent shot it yet. Its a 91/30. I put everything metal in a bath of boiling water and scrubbed it countless times. No burrs. But when I try to chamber a round it seems the bolt dosent grab the bullet and it will not let me shut the bolt. I have cleaned this gun, oiled it, and slept with it, and it just refuses to cooperate. Its sleeping on the couch tonight. lol. But seriously, Can anyboddy give me some advice.
Old June 14, 2009, 12:50 AM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

Check your chamber for grit... A dirty chamber is a major cause of extraction issues with the mosin...
Old June 14, 2009, 12:50 AM   #3
nimbleVagrant

You need to be very careful loading live ammunition into your rifle.

Are you loading the rounds into the magazine correctly? each rim in front of the rim below.
Old June 14, 2009, 01:00 AM   #4
Peptobismol9

I beleive so

I have one round. Its A Czech silver tip and I even checked various images and videos to make sure its loaded right. I Have heard of bolts refusing to work unless there are 5 rounds in the mag. That would suck. I put the round in the top straight as I could with the rim following the stripper clip guide.
Old June 14, 2009, 01:18 AM   #5
bcrash15

when you say it doesn't grab the bullet, I assume you mean the extractor doesn't latch on to the cartridge and pull it out, but it does initially feed from the magazine? If that is the case, then it isn't necessarily broken (at least the extractor anyway). With the push-feed bolt design of the Mosin (and many other rifles) the extractor does not engage the rim until the bolt handle is fully closed. So the fact that you cannot completely chamber a round and close the bolt is probably the reason it is not extracting. Why you cannot chamber and close the bolt is the real culprit here. Like others have said it may be a stubborn chamber caked with cosmoline, some people have had to take some drastic steps like a powerdrill with an oversized brass brush to clear the chamber. When you said there are no burrs, does this include inside the chamber? What happens if you try to drop a round directly into the chamber with no bolt present? Also, I have found on very rare occasions (only once I can remember) a single surplus round that would not chamber for anything, I believe the case was either out of round (maybe from being smashed) or possibly a burr on the case/bullet. I would recommend testing with other cartridges as well just to rule that out. If none of these are the problem, it is possibly the headspace is too small, you would have to get a "go" headspace gauge to test this, a local gunsmith just might happen to have one and be able to check it for you.
Old June 14, 2009, 01:21 AM   #6
Peptobismol9

Thanks.

I will try to get more ammo to try. Thanks for the suggestions. Im 16, And I only get paid 7.50 an hour for Brick masonry. So as hard as it was to get the gun, It really hurts to see it defective. I will go Try some of your suggestions and will be back to this computer soon.
Old June 14, 2009, 01:25 AM   #7
nimbleVagrant

so, when you pull the bolt all the way back, load the round into the magazine and then push the bolt forward, does the front of the bolt engage the rim of the cartridge and push it forward, towards the chamber? forgive me, I'm having a hard time visualizing from your description.

it sound like you may be pushing the round too far down into the magazine. if you install the round into the mazine, open up the floorplate and the round falls out, you've inserted it too deeply.

Last edited by nimbleVagrant; June 14, 2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old June 14, 2009, 01:25 AM   #8
Peptobismol9

Hooray!

My problem is fixed. Thanks for your help everyone. It appears my problem was as simple as me afraid to get rough with the gun.
Old June 14, 2009, 01:26 AM   #9
MuscleGarunt

Try cleaning the chamber with a 20 gauge shotgun brush on a power drill with generous amounts of denatured alchohol or hoppes#9.
Old June 14, 2009, 11:53 AM   #10
MagnumWill

Yes- mosins like it rough

If it was having problems like that, make sure your headspace is OK before you take it to the range. This'll ensure that you got all the gunk out and spare you some face burns.
Old June 14, 2009, 06:53 PM   #11
Peptobismol9

Yeah

I took it for a shoot today. I put 12 rounds of Winchester 180 grain through it. It didnt give me any trouble. Last night I ran A Boiling hot tub of water, And put every single metal part neatly inside and ran cloth through it after the water cooled a bit. I dryed it with a fan, blowdryer, and a few towels, making sure to get all the moisture. I stuck the trigger guard and bolt in a bowl of rice to absorb moisture and reassembled my gun. Later after I dissasembled it and gave it a good diet of Rem oil. As of Recoil, I didnt feel a thing at first because my adrenaline.
Old June 1, 2010, 08:41 PM   #12
larryfrogbrown

m 44

i just ended up with a romanian m 44 when i load it and chamber a round the extracter does't grab it and pull it out, what up is it broke?
Old June 1, 2010, 10:03 PM   #13
ksstargazer

First of all - the rims of the cartridges can be arranged in any position. The interruptor in a mosin takes care of this. It is also okay to push the cartridge "too far down" in the magazine. The interruptor takes care of this too. Being "rough" with the bolt often times helps the interruptor present the next round for loading. Broken extractors are an easy and cheap fix too.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Phil_B

This is a classic symptom of an under-length Mosin-Nagant extractor. I have a rifle that used to suffer from this problem. Here is the diagnosis and solution:

Remove the bolt from the rifle. Hold the bolt up to a strong-BACK-lit light source, looking at the bolt sideways. Look carefully at the extractor's claw. If you can see a sliver of light coming from between the extractor's claw and the bolt head, then your extractor is PROBABLY of the correct length.

HOWEVER,

If you cannot see any light at all between the extractor's claw and the bolt head, then the extractor is TOO SHORT.

I have an ex-sniper M-N that came with a mis-matched bolt. The gun was in excellent condition except that it couldn't chamber a round, except occassionally, with rough handling (e.g., slamming the cartridge into the chamber.....not recommended technique).

A little research with my other Mosin-Nagants turned up the problem.

The easiest/least hassle solution is to replace the bolt head/extractor assembly with another one.

Of course, you can also replace just the extractor, but as many people have probably all ready told you, this is a tricky proceedure (you GENTLY pound the extractor out from the front size rear-ward with a wide (large) drift brass drift punch. It takes a lot of gentle taps. Did I remind you to tap gently? A little penetrating oil applied the day before will help free up the extractor.

If it were me, I'd just buy a replacement bolt head/extractor assembly. It'll set you back about $15.00

Phil-ums

Tags
mosin nagant extractor