The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 2, 2006, 02:01 PM   #1
willsjeep

New CCW

My CCW finally came in today after 3 months and my mind has changed on my reasons for getting it.
Originally I wanted it to avoid legal problems with having my pistols hidden in the vehicle. I hunt with handguns and usually leave them in my truck so I can hunt mornings after work.
Now however I am thinking about using it for its intended purpose concealed carry.
All that for this question: My pistols now are not your typical concealed carry type (Ruger SRH 44, Ruger BH 357, RUger mark II 6" bull barrel etc). I am a smaller individual (5' 5" 140 lbs), anyone of about this size carry? Reccomendations on firearm/carry method? Just started looking, so the list is wide open, fire away. Revolver or semi is OK, 9mm is smallest caliber. I do have a S&W 38 special my father just gave me a few days ago, no idea how it shoots yet (It needs a goood cleaning and check out first)
Carry method is important as not only am I a small framed person, I live in South Georgia. For example the temperature is in the 70's this week!
Will
Old November 2, 2006, 02:19 PM   #2
tydephan

I recalled reading a thread a while back regarding the same topic, posted by a guy that had a similar frame to yours. Thought maybe it would be helpful to you.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=225970

Good luck with your search!
Old November 2, 2006, 02:22 PM   #3
Abby

Will, I'm pretty much exactly your size, but I'm a GIRL, so keep in mind we're probably shaped quite differently for carry purposes.

I've only been at this "carry" thing a few months, but I'll share what I know so far. Easiest thing for me to carry? An EAA witness 9mm compact (a clone of the CZ75B compact). I picked up a blade-tech UCH holster and it disappears in a pair of Levi's 550 32-inch jeans (baggy on me these days) with a decent belt and a black Tshirt. Excessively fashionable? No - but neither am I.

I'm still experimenting and buying things to figure out of I can hide a 1911 anywhere on my frame in Florida (that is, without a Big Old Coat).

I also have a 2" Taurus revolver that I stuck a ClipDraw on. That works very nicely in the waistband of shorts or in a deep pocket with a long shirt. The "universal revolver" clipdraw doesn't seem to have as long a clip as the one they make for specific (not my) models of revolver - and the length of the clip keeps me from having a lot of confidence in the gun STAYING where it's supposed to if I'm moving around a lot. I use it for quick runs to the store and dog walks and that sort of thing, but that's about it.

I prefer semiautomatics, so I'm sure I should look into something SMALL, but other than a couple of spendy small .45s, I can't find anything I like enough to bump it to the top of my purchase list. I'm sure someone else can offer some quality input there, though.

Anyway, that's my .02 for smaller-to-medium sized people in warm climates. The hardest part of this "learning to carry" seems to amassing enough quality gear in a timely manner (a 4-month wait for a holster??? Yikes!) to figure out what works WITHOUT going broke. Good luck!
Old November 2, 2006, 02:22 PM   #4
willsjeep

Thanks, I will go check it out.
Will
Old November 2, 2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Glock2000

check out Shado.com

they have a holster called a "bikini holster" i bought one for my G23 and have one on the way for my Sig 220...it holds the pistol tight against your hip and is very affordable for a leather holster.
1903 Springfield
Old November 2, 2006, 05:43 PM   #6
shield20

My latest nirvana for CCW is a 9mm Walther P99c in an open-top OWB strong side High-noon, or as of today Blackhawk, Askins holster. 2nd is a P2000 in .40 via a Kramer OWB.

I like slide guards on the holsters (leather extension between slide and body) in warm weather, but on the subcompact I have found it as too much interference with the shortened grip.
Old November 2, 2006, 07:13 PM   #7
mbf5482

I am 5'10 and 155lbs. I am a slender person so I know how you feel. I carry a walther P99c in 9mm. I carry it in a Fist IWB holster that works perfectly. I am going to get there tuckable holster for when I have to tuck my shirt in.

The P99c is a sweet gun I have never had one problem with it
Old November 2, 2006, 07:33 PM   #8
willsjeep

Thanks for the replies, I was planning on going looking this weekend for a CC pistol and as it is something I have not previously been "into" these examples will give me a place to start anyway. It will take a good bit of research before I buy since I don't know of any places in my area that rent or let you try a pistol out before you buy. And I don't know of any of my friends that may have a suitable example to try out.
Will
Old November 2, 2006, 09:09 PM   #9
shooter chef

I have a Springfield 1911 AI subcompact .45 ACP, and a Taurus 9mm millenium, both of which fit into a Mikes nylon holster very well. I prefer the 1911, as it is
extremely accurate and has great stopping power, and tritium night sites!!!