The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 31, 2001, 01:20 PM   #1
Tecolote

Comp-Tac Undercover

Order/Customer Service
Gregg Garrett answered all my emails within hours. The replies were detailed and courteous.

I wanted the holster modified to accept 1.25 belts and he went ahead and did that. The holster was a special order and not just an off rack version.

I sent in the order by snail mail on May 24th, and I got the holster by May 30th. That’s the fastest I’ve ever gotten a holster.

Delivery
The holster came in a Priority Mail box. I like these because they’re sturdy and keep the contents safe. The holster came inside a plastic box with a business card and an allen wrench for adjustment. The holster was clean, so obviously someone took the name to carefully clean it before shipping. This was a nice touch. I’ve gotten a couple of Kydex holsters from other makers that were dusty and one had some residue showing it was packaged after being made. Cleaning the holster that shows the kind of attention to detail that I like.

Fit
The holster fits just right. It doesn’t hold the pistol by the trigger guard, which is something I don’t really like in holsters. I prefer Kydex that mimics leather and holds the pistol by the entire length that’s holstered. The Undercover holds the pistol in place by the trigger guard, and the muzzle of the frame and slide. The adjustment screw allows for a tighter or looser fit, depending on the user. I like the fit from the factory, so I’ll leave like that for now.

Finish
The holster has all edges radiused. Not a single sharp edge appears anywhere on the holster. Even without a shirt it fits very comfortably. I had a Kydex holster that ha some pretty sharp edges but the Undercover doesn’t have this problem. It’s smooth all around.

Ride
The holster is canted 15 degrees. It rides just right, not too deep so it’s hard to draw, and not too high that it feels like it’s about to pop out. The Undercover disappears under a tshirt.

Draw
Kydex makes for a fast draw, and the well fitted Undercover just makes things even faster. The Undercover allows for a proper grip and it effortlessly releases the pistol while providing the right amount of hold.

Reholstering, because of the belt hook, requires that you hold the holster while inserting the pistol. If I pull the belt very tight, than this isn’t an issue. With a slightly tight belt reholstering is easy, it doesn’t require two hands, and I easily learned the trick of holding the holster as I inserted the pistol.

Druthers
It’s going to take a little while to get used to the belt hook. It holds the holster right, it doesn’t budge when drawing, but I’m used to loops. Also because it’s Kydex the belt hook is a little wide, I just don’t see how it could be made any flatter, however. It’s no wider than snap loops or loops from other Kydex makers, so it just isn’t a big deal. The hook doesn’t impede concealment.

I’ll post another review in a couple of weeks, after I’ve given the holster a work out.

Final Thoughts
I really like the Comp-Tac Undercover. It’s a bargain at $40 delivered. It’s small light, and it has the kind of ride I’ve been looking for in a holster. The quality is great and hand fitting and finishing is unbeatable. Comp-Tac makes holsters for a variety of different makes and models. Give them a hard look if you’re in the market for a Kydex holster. You won’t be sorry.

http://www.comp-tac.com

[Edited by Tecolote on 06-01-2001 at 01:32 AM]
Old May 31, 2001, 03:07 PM   #2
Matt VDW

What sort of handgun are you carrying in your Undercover?
Old May 31, 2001, 05:31 PM   #3
Tecolote

Forgot that...

It's for a G26/27/33 size frame.
Old June 1, 2001, 04:22 PM   #4
Onslaught

Hey, very nice... I've been trying to decide on my NEXT purchase of a carry rig for my Kahr P9... I'm just SO hard to conceal on, and I'm too darned hard-headed to change styles to suit a gun... For $35.00, I may very well give this a try.

Thanks Tec!
Old June 2, 2001, 12:02 PM   #5
Tecolote

Cool

Onslaught,

Thanks. YOu might look into the Comp-Tac Shirt Tucker, but like I said, the Undercover does a bang up job og concealing. I still can't get over how well made it is. It shapes just right to every line of the pistol that it covers. After seeing Kydex holsters that look like a sock, it's nice to find this type of detail.
Old June 7, 2001, 09:39 AM   #6
38Mike

Tecolote,

thanks for the review...put a check in the mail the other day.....

Mike m.
Old June 7, 2001, 05:58 PM   #7
Tecolote

Cool

38Mike,

Could you please post how you like your holster? Thanks.
Old June 8, 2001, 07:38 AM   #8
38Mike

Will do;

I'm signed up for a training class on the 23rd, hopefully holster will be here by then. Holster, P9, and I will all get a good workout........
Old June 8, 2001, 05:22 PM   #9
Onslaught

Tec,

I checked out the site, and I do indeed like the Tucker. Kinda curious about that Undercover you're using though... Do you really like that it hooks to your jeans, and only stays in by the belt? I would think the jeans would be too weak a platform to hold it up well.

Anyway, thanks for the tip... based on what you tell me about the Undercover, I'll be dropping some bucks on one or the other...

Thanks again!
Old June 8, 2001, 09:37 PM   #10
Tecolote

Undercover

Onslaught,

I got the Undercover IWB. One of the things I really like about this holster is that it doesn't make the loud click like some Kdex rigs. Instead of locking onto the trigger guard, Comp-Tac holsters put pressure on the entire leght of the slide and the trigger guard, just like a leather rig. This holds the pistol securely, no movememt at all and if you want it tighter just adjust it to your like, and it decreases wear to the trigger guard. Comp-Tac is a small company that makes holsters by hand, and his prices are very low because I think a lot of people haven't discovered them yet. I'm getting set to order another one, I like them that much.

Here's some more feedback on Comp-Tac holsters http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Forum5/HTML/003666.html

http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Forum5/HTML/003724.html