The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 4, 2001, 02:59 PM   #1
AEM

I have an old Weaver V9 3-9x variable purchased new in the sixties. It never saw much use, but at some point I noticed that the image was out of focus. This was many years ago but as I recall, I adjusted the knurled ring on the power selector ring ( This is the thin threaded ring halfway between the eyepiece and the junction of the ocular end and the scope tube)and found that I could change the focus, but that I couldn't get both the reticle and the image in focus at the same time. Disgusted, I stored it for another 15 years or so.

I got it out the other day and found that the reticle stays in sharp focus, and the image is clear and sharp, but ONLY with the parallax adjusted at 75 feet. If I adjust the objective to any longer distance, the image blurs.

I feel sure this is something I did playing with it many years ago. Before I try adjusting the ring on the ocular end again, I thought I would ask for help here.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old June 5, 2001, 10:32 PM   #2
PDshooter

If its a Weaver USA call this # 915-593-1005 there in TX. I've got a v12 thats all "F" up. Would cost about $45.00 to fix.
Old June 6, 2001, 10:57 AM   #3
AEM

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll call them. I was thinking of chucking it the general direction of the trash can, but it has a certain amount of sentimental value. Also, I've heard recently that the old Weavers, at least the fixed power K models, have appreciated in value in recent years. I don't know if the V (variable) models are sought after as much.
Old June 6, 2001, 02:14 PM   #4
JR in PA

AEM
Before you send your Weaver out, try this:

1. Go to the range and put up a target at 100 yds.
2. Set the parallex for 100yds.
3. Adjest the ocular lens so that the crosshairs and
target are clear.
4. Try the scope at different distances, changing AO
as needed.

I think that many years ago you messed up the focus when you should have been working with the AO (parallex remover).
Hope this is a help.

JR
Old June 6, 2001, 02:20 PM   #5
AEM

Thanks, JR.

I probably should have never tried to adjust the focus. I'll try the procedure you suggested.