The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old April 26, 2008, 06:52 PM   #1
BlueDragon

Carrying Chambered. Illegal?

I live in Indiana and was hoping someone from Indiana could tell me if this true. Someone i know tried to tell me earlier that it is illegal to carry a gun with a ccw permit while the gun is chambered and ready to go. Now this is how I and alot of people i know carry. But is it true it's illegal and that your supposed to only have a charged magazine? I myself dont believe he but he "swears" up and down it's true. Just because he's a criminal justice student in college. so he would "know" as quoted by him.:barf:
Old April 26, 2008, 08:15 PM   #2
HuntAndFish

Ask him to show you the statute. Until then, he's wrong.
Old April 26, 2008, 08:29 PM   #3
GoSlash27

He's probably wrong, *but*...
Until you've reviewed the relevant statutes, assume he's right.

That's more prudent.
Old April 26, 2008, 08:44 PM   #4
GoSlash27

I'm not a resident of Indiana and not a lawyer.

I did a quick once-over of Indiana law and didn't see anything like that.
Old April 26, 2008, 08:55 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...only have a charged magazine..." What's he say about using revolvers for CCW?
Old April 26, 2008, 08:55 PM   #6
homefires

Me too! I looked at your state site and it does not state how to be carried.

What a mess!!!!!!
Old April 26, 2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

I live in Kentucky but Indiana is a 10 minute drive and I carry in Indiana often. I don't believe it is illegal to carry with one in the chamber in CCW situation. My hunch is your friend is confused with transporting arms in a vehicle.

Besides, that would pretty much make carrying a revolver illegal wouldn't it?

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; April 27, 2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old April 26, 2008, 09:44 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Unless the Indiana law specfically prohibits revolvers for ccw

How could they prohibit having a round in the chamber, without prohibiting having a revolver loaded? No round under the hammer? Or next up under the hammer?

The most like explanation is your friend (if he is) is confusing the "transporting" of firearms (which have to be unloaded, this is virtually universal) with the carrying of a firearm, such as a ccw.

Disclaimer: I have no direct knowledge of Indiana law as it pertains to this matter. This is only my opinion, and has no factual basis, etc.etc.etc.

Bet him some money, see if he can "proove" it!
Old April 27, 2008, 08:41 AM   #9
Alleykat

Quote:
Just because he's a criminal justice student in college. so he would "know" as quoted by him.
Now you know why law school admissions committees laugh out loud when they see "Criminal Justice Major" on applications!
Old April 27, 2008, 02:46 PM   #10
Technosavant

I've never heard of a state with a real CCW statute that prohibits carry with a round in the pipe. The closest I've heard is that in some state(s) (unsure which one(s)) you can carry a magazine separate from the unloaded gun and it is legal without a permit (I think there's also debate on that).

But I've never heard of having to carry even a partially unloaded gun with a permit. That's just stupid.
Old April 27, 2008, 07:59 PM   #11
madmag

I lived in Indiana 25 years..until 1996. Had CCW. I have two Sons that still live there and I visit all the time. Never heard of such a thing. Doesn't make any sense. They will arrest you and charge you the same if you use a gun in a crime, round in chamber or not.
Old April 27, 2008, 08:17 PM   #12
Aquanewt

How could anyone tell, especially if the handgun was used? That just makes no sense.
Old April 28, 2008, 08:04 AM   #13
HKuser

In Indiana, with a license to carry handguns, you could carry a loaded subgun if you wanted. Indiana has no restrictions of any kind of what condition you can carry in. He is simply foolish.
Old April 29, 2008, 09:04 PM   #14
WINSTON THE WOLF

Quote:
I myself dont believe he but he "swears" up and down it's true. Just because he's a criminal justice student in college. so he would "know" as quoted by him.
Maybe he is flunking out
Old April 29, 2008, 09:27 PM   #15
wayneinFL

I've never heard of it. Ask him to point out the statute or a case.

Criminal justice student, huh? This guy could be a cop someday. Scary.
Old April 29, 2008, 10:48 PM   #16
Frank Ettin
Staff

BlueDragon, ask the guy for proof and let us know what he comes up with.
Old April 29, 2008, 11:29 PM   #17
nemoaz

In my CJ class, there were mostly future criminals in there, all wanting to find some way to avoid going to jail next time.

"Uh. Mr. Professor, I have a question. So this ummmm.... friend of mine... was caught for DUI and when they searched his car, they found his ganja. Don't they need a warrant for that? I can't... I mean he can't to go to jail."
Old April 30, 2008, 08:12 AM   #18
FireMax

Quote:
AlleyKat
Now you know why law school admissions committees laugh out loud when they see "Criminal Justice Major" on applications!
In college, the CJ majors used to hang out together like a gang. It was wierd. We used to crack jokes that they all rode the short bus to school.
Old April 30, 2008, 08:35 AM   #19
revance

I'll just add what many have already said...

there is NOTHING in Indiana law that prohibits you from carrying one in the chamber. I recommend you get the book Indiana Handgun Law. While the Indiana Code isn't difficult to understand, this book is still well worth reading because it offers some info that non-lawyers might not think of when just reading the code.

Just for fun, ask this buddy of yours about transporting a handgun in a car unloaded and locked up. It is a common misconception that you are allowed to do that in Indiana without a permit. However you are really only allowed to do that if you are transporting it to/from the store you purchased it from, to/from a gunsmith, or to your new place of residence/employment (not back and forth from residence to employment though).

It sounds like your friend is basing his beliefs purely on hearsay rather than actually READING THE LAW.
Old April 30, 2008, 09:59 AM   #20
NavyLT

Quote:
However you are really only allowed to do that if you are transporting it to/from the store you purchased it from, to/from a gunsmith, or to your new place of residence/employment (not back and forth from residence to employment though).

(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

Interesting. I guess the word "moving" could be interpretted to mean moving as in changing residence or business addresses.... I would have thought it would have meant traveling between.... I guess if they wanted it to mean that they would have used the word traveling or going or something other than "moving", though. Do you know is there any case precedent or written interpretation of this?
Old April 30, 2008, 10:12 AM   #21
revance

The sentence structure "moving from one dwelling or business to another." makes it clear. You are either moving from one dwelling to another (another being dwelling) OR moving from one business to another (another being business). The word "another" must refer to the noun previously chosen.

To clarify it further, they used the words "in moving" which is referring to the more general actions of relocating yourself and your belongings rather than the specific action of moving only the gun.
Old April 30, 2008, 10:23 AM   #22
revance

Addition:

I personally would like to see a change to this law allowing someone to transport their firearm to/from a range. I think allowing people to purchase a firearm for home defense and then not allowing them to go to the range with it is a huge safety issue. Obviously I would like to see people allowed to transport it anywhere (especially if its unloaded and secured), but given how easy it is to get a permit, I think that would be a hard sell. Its easier to change the laws in baby steps.
Old May 1, 2008, 04:30 PM   #23
KSFreeman

Blue, did you hear this in a gun shop?

No, sorry, I just kidding. Your friend is mistaken.

Likely he is repeating something a cop told him.
Old May 2, 2008, 03:31 AM   #24
grey sky

A receent police accademy grad told me Indiana does not alow for conceald carry with the permit. I thought "thats strange" the permit states may carry on or about ones person. the Indiana hangun law "the book" states the law is not specific on legality of concealed or open carry. I think it was refered to as ambiguous in meaning. Does that muddy the waters?

Oh! yes your friend is mistaken.
Old May 2, 2008, 07:21 AM   #25
Dewhitewolf

Someone told me the same thing about Pennsylvania law--if carrying a semi-auto, chamber must be empty. Exemptions for revolvers, because the hammer will actually fire the next round, not the one it's resting on. He was 100% wrong! When I've challenged him on that, he was not able to prove it, other than by saying "it's a fact--everyone knows it." I've asked firearms instructors in Pennsylvania, and they've all told me the same thing--that he is full of ----!

I imagine it's the same situation here--some wannabee know-it-all is trying to impress people with statements like that.

The Indiana state's webpage has changed--it used to answer a lot of these questions, but perhaps there have been some legislative changes recently. I remember specifically that in the FAQ's about firearms that the state issued carry permits--open or concealed was the option of the licensee, not determined by the state.

Don't go by what the police academy grad says. Print out the statutes and show him he's wrong.

A few years ago I was told by one of the local badgeheads here in NJ that it was illegal for me to take firearms into Pennsylvania, as I'd been doing going to a range there. He said that it was interstate gun running. I contacted someone at the AG's office of Pennsylvania--they said that there were no restrictions for me to visit a target range in PA, as long as my firearms were transported a certain way (unloaded in the trunk, etc.).

Bottom line, just because someone is a police officer or criminal justice major does not mean that they are the final authority on ANYTHING.