The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old May 1, 2008, 01:49 AM   #1
jimpeel

Teacher arrested for firearm in classroom

This story is about a month old but I cannot find anything here by searching on the teacher's name.

My kids went to Diamond Elementary when we lived in Santa Ana back in the 70's.

It can be said that she was stupid for having the firearm where kids can find it. It can also be said that the Eddie Eagle program seems to be alive and well in the Santa Ana school district.

I am a proponent of armed teachers and the area where this occurred is F Troop (a violent Orange County gang) territory; and gang writing emblazons nearly every surface. I don't know why she kept the thing there other than perhaps she wanted to be able to defend the classroom in the event of an armed attack from without.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/s...sroom-district

Quote:
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Teacher arrested after students find gun
The third-grade teacher at Diamond Elementary faces charges that include child endangerment.
By DOUG IRVING and SERENA MARIA DANIELS
The Orange County Register

SANTA ANA – A third-grade teacher has been arrested on charges that include child endangerment after her students found an unloaded handgun in a classroom supply drawer.

Jayne DeArmond, 51, was released on $20,000 bail. Investigators were still trying to determine why she had the .38-caliber handgun in her classroom at Santa Ana's Diamond Elementary School.

The Santa Ana Unified School District put DeArmond on leave while it conducts an internal investigation, but officials would not say whether she is still being paid.

"We take this incident very seriously," the school's principal, Deanna Pelasky, wrote in a letter sent home with students Thursday. "I want to assure you that our school is a safe haven for our students."

DeArmond's third-grade students found the handgun amid pens, staplers and other school supplies in a storage drawer in their classroom, said Jim Miyashiro, the school district's chief of police. They waited until a recess, then reported the gun to other school officials, who called police.

The gun was not loaded, but DeArmond had ammunition, Miyashiro said.

Police arrested DeArmond on Wednesday, and she was briefly held at the Orange County Jail before posting bail. She faces charges of possessing a handgun in a school zone and child endangerment.

She could not be reached for comment Thursday.

The school district confirmed that DeArmond had been a teacher there, but would not release any other details. State records show that she is licensed as a classroom teacher and as a teacher of students with limited English. She last renewed her license in 2005, for five years.

DeArmond passed a background check before she was hired and had her fingerprints taken, Miyashiro said. "Criminally, she didn't have anything" in her past, he said. He also said that, to his knowledge, she had not sought any protective orders recently.

Police and school officials said DeArmond's third-grade students did exactly what they've been told to do in safety classes that have become part of the grade-school curriculum. They saw a weapon, they didn't touch it, and they notified an adult.

"That's a message we ingrain in them," district spokeswoman Angela Burrell said.

On Thursday, as he met his second-grade son, Mariano, at the school, 24-year-old Juan Valbuena said he thought the district should tighten its background checks in the wake of DeArmond's arrest. "There's children here," he said. "If it would have been an adult school or a college, that would have been one thing."

Note: Just how the background checks could be any tighter I have no idea unless this guy want body cavity searches. At least he sounds amenable to firearms on college campuses. -- j

Kimberly Ortega, a fourth-grader who was walking out of school with her family, said she used to help DeArmond in class. "She was nice," Kimberly said. "I didn't believe it. She was nice. She didn't yell that much."

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old May 1, 2008, 01:52 AM   #2
jimpeel

She has since plead not guilty. They had to dig pretty deep to find that traffic cite, I'm sure.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/s...0530-gun-santa

Quote:
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Santa Ana teacher pleads not guilty after gun found in classroomJayne DeArmond is ordered to stay away from all Orange County schools.
By RACHANEE SRISAVASDI
The Orange County Register

SANTA ANA – An elementary school teacher pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges of endangering students by keeping a gun in her classroom.

Jayne Suzanne DeArmond, 51, of Costa Mesa was released on her own recognizance and next appears in court June 6.

At the brief hearing, Superior Court Commissioner Vicki Hix forbade DeArmond from keeping or accessing firearms. She is also restricted on coming onto the grounds of any school in Orange County, said prosecutor Randy Pawloski.

It is unknown if DeArmond had the weapon legally, Pawloski added. A search of California records did not glean any information, he explained.

Note: What would be illegal about a revolver? -- j

DeArmond is accused of keeping the gun and its bullets in a plastic supply drawer along with school supplies in her classroom at Diamond Elementary School in Santa Ana. A student found the gun while looking for a staple remover April 2, authorities say.

The third-grade teacher is charged with two felonies: possessing a firearm on school grounds and child endangerment. If convicted, she faces a maximum of six years and four months in prison.

A California criminal record search indicates DeArmond has not been convicted of any crimes. She was cited for a traffic violation in 2007, records show.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Old May 1, 2008, 01:56 AM   #3
Venison_Jerkey32

Quote:
"I want to assure you that our school is a safe haven for our students."
see, they've got it under control... they're sure of it

I may be young, but it is the people of my generation that will decide the future of America.
Old May 1, 2008, 01:57 AM   #4
Playboypenguin

Why in the world was the gun unsecured in a drawer around children? That is the part I have issue with and the question I would like to see answered.
Old May 1, 2008, 02:01 AM   #5
SecDef

I assume the more current report is most accurate?

Thus, the key point that changed for me is:
Quote:
DeArmond is accused of keeping the gun and its bullets in a plastic supply drawer along with school supplies in her classroom at Diamond Elementary School in Santa Ana. A student found the gun while looking for a staple remover April 2, authorities say.
Is this something y'all think is ok to do? Or should she have kept it in her purse or on her person?

Sounds like an appropriate arrest to me.
Old May 1, 2008, 02:03 AM   #6
Wildalaska

Worn under her skirt in a garter holster would have been better...all elementary school tachers wear long skirts and flat shoes...I was married to once once........

WildisharethegigaboutthedrawerAlaska TM

Nevertheless, she violated the law as stupid as it is....hope her lawyer has the balls to raise constitutional issues....
Old May 1, 2008, 02:06 AM   #7
jimpeel

Actually, if you go HERE and zoom into the intersection of S. Greenville St. and W Edinger Ave you will see that if a car were to lose control and come barreling through the intersection it would plow right into the school. That happened once back when my kids were going there but it was not a high speed wreck. Tghere is more liklihood of the kids getting run over than shot.

She should have had the firearm secured in some way.

Last edited by jimpeel; May 1, 2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old May 1, 2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Why in the world was the gun unsecured in a drawer around children? That is the part I have issue with and the question I would like to see answered.
Personally - I think that someone should be armed in schools. Those armed however should have them secured. Clearly, this was unsecured and could have been extremely dangerous. I would love to know what she was or wasn't thinking.
Old May 1, 2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Oldphart

Well, if it goes to trial and if I were chosen to sit on the jury (not possible since I live elsewhere) I would vote "Not Guilty" until hell froze over. I firmly believe that teachers (who wish to) should be armed and that any law which would criminalize such an act is in itself unlawful.

But that's just me. YMMV.
Old May 1, 2008, 02:29 PM   #10
sholling

Lovely area. To the west you have Vietnamese gangs and to the north south and east Hispanic gangs. Except for a small enclave almost entire city has been gang territory for at least 30 years. The percentage of non-exglish speakers is probably one of the highest in the state. The only thing that has kept it from disintegrating into total chaos is that for the last 30 years they've been blessed with one of the very best police forces anywhere in the country.
Old May 1, 2008, 03:12 PM   #11
toybox99615

a bit premature to decide

Oldphart might you ever consider the facts before you vote innocent?
Old May 1, 2008, 03:40 PM   #12
Yellowfin

Great...they're training kids to be sheeple that young. This is a rather discouraging look as to what we'll have to vote against in a decade or so. I'm going to have to screen my kids' schools even more tightly than I thought, or home school them.
Old May 1, 2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Well, if it goes to trial and if I were chosen to sit on the jury (not possible since I live elsewhere) I would vote "Not Guilty" until hell froze over. I firmly believe that teachers (who wish to) should be armed and that any law which would criminalize such an act is in itself unlawful.
If I sat on the jury and she was charged for possessing a firearm that was under her control at all times I would vote "innocent."

If I was on the jury and it turned out she left a handgun unattended and easily accessible to small children I would vote "guilty."
Old May 1, 2008, 03:54 PM   #14
homefires

Yep , it should had been more secure. The kid's most likely was not suppose to get in the drawer!

Sad state of affairs when a teacher feels the need to have access to a weapon in a school Eaaahhhh?
Old May 1, 2008, 03:55 PM   #15
FireMax

Quote:
Great...they're training kids to be sheeple that young.
Of course. My kid goes to a pre-K program and she came home talking about Global Warming. Now, mind you, she is 4 years old. I dropped her off at school the very next morning and asked the teacher about it. She says they did speak about it briefly in a class discussion. I told her that many people believe that Global Warming is a political issue and that I would prefer if my daughter did not have to learn about politics from her Pre-K teacher... I didn't feel it was appropriate. Her jaw hit the floor. I guess she is used to the sheeple parents agreeing with her.
Old May 1, 2008, 04:23 PM   #16
Wildalaska

Quote:
Oldphart might you ever consider the facts before you vote innocent?
Facts are meaningless when the allmighty gun is involved

Quote:
Great...they're training kids to be sheeple that young.
Somehow I find it quite beleivable that some folks here would equate teaching kids about gun safety to be teaching them to be (there is that famous word that denigrates gun owners)....."shee-ple"

Quote:
My kid goes to a pre-K program and she came home talking about Global Warming.

Tell your kid it's still snowing in Alaska

Or even better....

Can you see the 4 year old...

"My daddy thinks that Global Warming is a good thing since the alternative is an Ice Age...looky Teacher I can say alternative at the age of 4 "

WildtakethatmsmarpleAlaska TM
Old May 1, 2008, 04:25 PM   #17
44capnball

Quote:
Police and school officials said DeArmond's third-grade students did exactly what they've been told to do in safety classes that have become part of the grade-school curriculum
There's just something not right about this and I can't quite place it.

Quote:
I told her that many people believe that Global Warming is a political issue and that I would prefer if my daughter did not have to learn about politics from her Pre-K teacher
Oh yeah, now I remember why.

Once they get their hands on your kid's mind and you don't have a say, they could teach them literally anything. Such as...... now children, if you ever see your mommy or daddy with a radio or a typewriter, you tell the nice policeman right away.

FWIW, I remember when it was strictly forbidden to go into a teacher's desk for any reason. Could have been a loaded 45 in there, it was none of our business. And they didn't even need to lock the drawer in those days. It wasn't that long ago. The nanny state has made leaps and bounds I guess.
Old May 1, 2008, 04:25 PM   #18
toybox99615

just great

FireMax according to your post schools should not talk about anything that is political, religious, scientific or controversial. Exactly what is left after those are eliminated? You can draw anything into the ring as controversial be it the theory of evolution to the interpretation of the Constitution. There are world scholars who would challange you on mathematics, language and science.
Old May 1, 2008, 04:57 PM   #19
44capnball

Quote:
Somehow I find it quite beleivable that some folks here would equate teaching kids about gun safety to be teaching them to be (there is that famous word that denigrates gun owners)....."shee-ple"
Wild I'm not in disagreement with you on this one, but just for the sake of argument.... some folks might draw the same analogy to teaching kids about the safety of Mother Earth.
Old May 1, 2008, 05:24 PM   #20
Mr. James

Quote:
FWIW, I remember when it was strictly forbidden to go into a teacher's desk for any reason. Could have been a loaded 45 in there, it was none of our business. And they didn't even need to lock the drawer in those days. It wasn't that long ago. The nanny state has made leaps and bounds I guess.
Well, now, that is an interesting observation. Just what the [bleep] were those little whelps doing going through her desk? Of course, they're the heroes of this piece. She'll go down for a couple of felonies, lose her gun and voting rights, and these brats will be the new Pavel Morozovs.

:barf:

And yes, if the teacher chose to be so brazen in violating state and federal law, she could have been more circumspect in storing/securing the weapon.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old May 1, 2008, 05:29 PM   #21
Wildalaska

Quote:
and these brats will be the new Pavel Morozovs.
Ah yes. Old Pavel...thank you Mr James for being well versed

WildkomsommolAlaska ™
Old May 1, 2008, 05:29 PM   #22
homefires

Quote:
There's just something not right about this and I can't quite place it.
Whats not right is the kids most likely got into the teacher desk. Kids now days have about zero respect for other peoples properties.

About training little snitches!

My kid 7 years old came home one day. He retrieved his glass of milk and a snack. Sitting on the couch he says , " Dad, They ask me if we have guns in the house" A bit P.O.ed I asked and what did you tell them? He said " Sure we do! I have my own .22! Don't you?"

Part of me chuckled inside and then I realized they are pumping him for information on his home life.

Public schools are in the INDOC mode! They bomb bard the young gray matter with all kinds of agenda Items.

It seems Socialism is high on the list!
Old May 1, 2008, 05:37 PM   #23
44capnball

Quote:
My kid 7 years old came home one day. He retrieved his glass of milk and a snack. Sitting on the couch he says , " Dad, They ask me if we have guns in the house"
See what I mean? This is really starting to get creepy.
Old May 1, 2008, 08:50 PM   #24
toybox99615

a gigantic conspiracy

Evey time I read one of these post about how all the schools are asking all the kids about the guns in their homes I have to wonder whose got the tinfoil on their heads now. We are about run the Edie Eagle program in an elementary school. I expect the question about are their guns in your home will probably surface in one of those classes. I suppose it is the NRA trying to find all those guns that will be why the question is asked.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:08 PM   #25
44capnball

Quote:
I expect the question about are their guns in your home will probably surface in one of those classes. I suppose it is the NRA trying to find all those guns that will be why the question is asked.
Not sure what you're getting at, but it's a question of context.

NRA speaker: "Does anybody here have guns in their house?"

(Hands raised)

NRA speaker: "OK, then, let's talk about firearm safety".

-------------

Anti-2A teacher: "Does anybody here have guns in their house?"

(Hands raised)

(later)
Anti-2A teacher: Mizz Principal, we need to keep an eye on Timmy and Suzy. They indicate there are guns in the house. I'm really concerned.