The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 18, 2006, 05:15 PM   #26
BreacherUp!

Quote:
If you are suggesting that it is ok in training to use unloaded real guns and point them at each other (even after checking them), then I believe you are indeed advocating an unsafe range practice.
I have to disagree with this statement as well. This type of training is very common in the military, as well as LE. My team constantly uses our real weapons with safety checks along the way, including yellow tape in the receivers.
Red guns do not give you the feel of your particular weapon, how you have your weapon set up (i.e. lights, vert grips, short stocks, sling types, optics/aimpoints, etc). In order for weapon manipulation, transitions and using the add-ons on your weapon to be 2nd nature, you need to practice with them. A red gun does not provide you this training and confidence.
Safety is ALWAYS 1st. As long as live ammo is not in the training area, and checked (at least 2x, to include visible tapes), this trainng can be done very safely.
If it is not comfortable for you, that does not mean it is unsafe.

Last edited by BreacherUp!; July 18, 2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old July 19, 2006, 05:12 PM   #27
SoldiersSon

Quote:
SoldiersSon..I know you were kidding, right (I have not been around here long enough to know if the snide sense of humour I have prevales here as well)?
Raptor5191, I was definately joking.
Old July 19, 2006, 05:17 PM   #28
Raptor5191

Ah....thank you! Good to hear the sense of humour is good around here!