The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which is more accurate?
Revolver 81 52.94%
Semiauto 24 15.69%
Neither/depends/don't know 48 31.37%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 27, 2002, 01:35 PM   #26
Redlg155

It depends on the individual weapon, but generally I give the revolver a bit of an edge with the advantage decreasing as the barrel length shortens.

I've shot several Glock 26's that similar sized revolvers would be hard pressed to match in the accuracy department. My Mk9 has definitely outshot any snubby I have ever owned.

Good SHooting
RED
Old April 27, 2002, 05:37 PM   #27
Shooter 973

Revolver or Semiauto?

I seem to be able to wring out better accuracy out of my S&W 25-2 0r 625 in 45acp than out of any semi auto that I own (except Ruger Target 22's) but I do like both types of handguns. Same ammo out of revolvers seems to group better from revolvers than autos.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old April 29, 2002, 08:21 AM   #28
seadog

In my experience most service revolvers will outshoot generic service pistols particularly of the same make, e.g. S&W vs. S&W or Colt vs. Colt. There are off the shelf autos that meet or exceed service revolver accuracy again, in my experience, some Beretta 92s, Sigs, HKP7, some 1911 types. The high dollar custom guns will stomp most revolvers. But, the best accuracy I have ever seen was from two revolvers , an S&W Classic 44 Magnum and a Freedom Arms Casull.
Old April 29, 2002, 02:34 PM   #29
7th Fleet

With all things being equal IMHO the semiauto pistol would be more accurate than a revolver if for no other reason that the chamber is the same for each round fired. Also a semiauto pistol is more user friendly than a double action revolver and is therefore easier to shoot well for the average person.

7th
Old April 29, 2002, 11:10 PM   #30
Semi-jacketed

Depends...

Naturally, it much is dependent upon the quality of materials and craftsmanship of the weapon; however, consider the following:

1. A .45 acp revolver with moon clips.
2. Any quality lock breech system shooting .45 acp semi-auto
3. A gas-operated, fixed barrel .45 acp semi-auto

Each with the same ammo in the same sized barrel, theoretically, the weapon that can maintain the same chamber to barrel to sight relationship most consistently should be the most accurate. Number 1 is a revolver and should maintain the more consistent relationship by the nature of its design than Number 2, who's barrel and chamber position changes (even if minutely) with every shot in relation to the sights on the slide. But, dependent upon how the cartridge is introduced into the barrel of Number 3 and the location of the sights (also a semi-auto, as #2), it could be the most accurate of all. For best results, the only portion of the weapon in Number 3 that may move is enough of the slide, or other part, to afford ejection and reloading of another round which could be completely independent of the sights and barrel creating almost the exact same chamber to barrel to sight relationship with each shot.

Just thinking out loud.
Old May 1, 2002, 12:42 PM   #31
Hutch

All the theoreticals aside, If I had to shoot a single bullet at challenging target at significant (25+yds) distance, and the outcome of the shot was all that mattered (hit/miss), I'd choose almost any of my adjustable sight revos waaaaaay ahead of my most accurate autos. The sole exception is my Ruger Mk1. That'd be in the middle of the pack, ahead of some, but behind the K38, K22, or 8&3/8'th M27.
"First, the freedom to own and carry the weapon of your choice is a natural, fundamental, and inalienable human, individual, civil, and Constitutional right -- subject neither to the democratic process nor to arguments grounded in social utility" -- L. Neil Smith

' I have an [in]alienable right to bear arms. I will exercise my own judgement in their use and accept responsibilty for the consequences' - Oakleaf
Old May 1, 2002, 03:36 PM   #32
Russ

I have a S&W 686 that I bought in 1986 that is so accurate it's scary. I have a lot more autos than revolvers and none of them are as accruate as my 686.
Old May 1, 2002, 06:10 PM   #33
swamprot

Depends in respect to my personal shooting. That my Para C6 at the same distance will easily out shoot my S&W 386Pd by about 4 times at this point in time. I am talking double action here. Since personal protection is what I am interested in right now.

My S&W 686 with the 6in. lugged barrel is truely amazing. I can put them together pretty good out to 50yds single action of course.

My DA C6 has such an awsome trigger and the guns 30oz wt. shoots really good. I have a long way to go shooting a DA Revolver anywhere near as good. But I'm working on it.
Old May 1, 2002, 07:38 PM   #34
chris93473

technically in theory a revolver should be more accurate because the barrel doesn't move and most revolvers have long barrels. but i don't have a wheel gun so i don't know. an AR is more accurate than both.
Old May 2, 2002, 12:29 PM   #35
bountyh

When I read the title of the thread, I thought you were kidding. The barrel and slide in an auto are movable and the barrel on a revolver is fixed to the frame. Is there really any question that a revolver is inherently more accurate comparing same barrel length?
Old May 2, 2002, 12:33 PM   #36
bountyh

Russ: Ditto on owning the 686. I use it in bullseye league. Last week a buddy was standing behind me and freaked when I put three successive rounds through the same hole at 15 yards... not close, not a ragged hole, SAME hole. That's a group size of zero inches. Some luck of there course, but it shoots sub 1" groups all the time at 15 yards, sub 2" at 25 yards (freehand standing).
Old May 3, 2002, 11:53 AM   #37
Master Blaster

If you have $450 to spend and no additional gunsmithing there is no question that a S&W, ruger, taurus or colt revo is going to be more accurate at 50yards out of the box, than any Centerfire semi auto you can buy for $450.

The production revolvers I own are as accurate as the $1700 custom smithed bullseyeguns I see shot in matches at my club.

Old May 3, 2002, 04:00 PM   #38
Christopher II

At the stock level, out of the box, revolvers are a bit more accurate.
High-end and custom automatics can be made more accurate than high-end and custom revolvers, generally for less money.
The most accurate pistols in the world are bolt-action or Martini-action single shots. I suspect something like the TOZ-99 free pistol will group smaller than most any other gun out to the limit of its effective range (barring ammo differences.)

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old May 3, 2002, 06:50 PM   #39
fed168

Sure, to a certain extent. If the guns are worked on or match grade, then they probably are about equal. I base this on watching a high master class shooter in our state PPC matches. He shoots a Ron Power 686 and a 945. Holds the x ring very well with both.
Old May 4, 2002, 11:22 AM   #40
Fatelvis

I`ve found revolvers, in general, more accurate than semiautos, staight out of the box.
Old May 4, 2002, 02:16 PM   #41
Shawn3879

For myself. . .an auto. . .b/c that is all I ever shoot. I have always heard. . .and often seen that the wheel guns are more accurate though.
Old May 5, 2002, 11:16 AM   #42
jar

Sawn
It's time you gave the revolvers a try. They are really quite an eye opener. If, like many, all you've shot have been pistols, then check around in your area. Give one of the gun clubs a call and I'll bet you can find someone who will loved to let you try their wheelgun. See if you can find someone with an old Smith M-19, or better yet, an old M-28. I think you'll be down right shocked at how good a shot you really are.

The M-28 is on top and the M-19 on the bottom in this photo.
Old May 24, 2002, 12:57 AM   #43
jack_the_sailor

My carry pistol is a Glock-17. At 21 feet I shoot the Glock way better than any revolver. the Glock is too big for my hand. I dry fired 2 pistols & 1 revolver in a gun store today. A Walther P99 QA, a Beretta Cougar 8045, & a S&W M10 heavy barrel. With both pistols the front sight didn't move. With the revolver the front sight moved with the first dry fire & every other dry fire. With my glock I can shoot a big hole close to COM. With a revolver it lookes like a shot gun pattern, single bullet holes all over the target. So I find semi-autos more accurate then revolvers.
Old May 24, 2002, 01:18 AM   #44
coonan357

IMO revolvers on the grounds theres too much play in the linkage systems on a semi auto (linkage being my generic term for the barrel locking mechinisms and bushings ) and a revolver the main thing is you have to worry about alignment of the cylinder/forcing cones and if it locksup tight . I have seen revolvers that shoot like sh** and S/A's that shoot like there nailed together , but the auto tended to be on the upper limits in costs , My KGP-161 will shoot tight groups but so will my Coonan but the Coonan cost twice as much as the gp .and thats before it came a collectors item.the most accurate gun I have shot to date is my 686 clark custom but that cost as much as a good auto.

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old May 24, 2002, 11:03 AM   #45
9mmepiphany

jack the sailor - to really see what a handgun will do, try moving out to 25 yards (50 would really be better). it does take more skill to shoot well with a wheelgun, but the results are very rewarding
Old May 26, 2002, 07:56 AM   #46
Blackhawk

Doesn't matter which is inherently more accurate. What matters is which is more accurate when I'm doing the shooting. I like autos better so I shoot them more. The more I shoot a particular gun, the more accurate I am with it.

So, it depends -- on me.
Old May 26, 2002, 08:45 AM   #47
Greybeard

Of what I have, the last time I did any comparative shooting purely for accuracy, it was what I had to call a tie.

With it's sights and trigger, I had assumed the 45 Colt Gold Cup would be the most acurate handgun that I owned. But, in single action mode, groups from the old H&R .22 9-shot 999 "Sportsman" with 6" barrell hung right in there.

After comparing several targets with each of these 1970's era guns, I determied that either one of them had far more inherent accuracy than the operator ...
Old May 26, 2002, 11:06 AM   #48
Dr. Charles Lee Ray

Having spent hundreds of hours with Ransoms and my 90# "homebuilt" version(machined inserts), I've found revolvers to be the unquestionable winners.

Even my 2" & 3" J-frames can get sub-1" groups at 50yds. Now, take them out of the vice, and fire them 'handheld', and it's a totaly different story. But when both vehicles are fired from a solid rest, a $300-$400 wheeler will equal or beat a $1,500-$3,000 custom 1911.

Off of sandbags, if I put my Les Baer TRS(1.5" package) against my stock S&W 625--both .45acp with 5" barrels--it's a chore keeping the auto on paper at 100-200yds, while the revolver can actually deliver predictable groups, however large they may be.

This topic reminds me of that G&A article, years ago, where the author was shooting blue 55gal drums at 500yds with a 4" .44 revolver, and doing it with adequate success(50+%?). I doubt you will find many autos that can hang at those distances, even though they have the range.

So if you're adding any 'range' in your accuracy question, the revolver is easily the winner.

FWIW-My CCW is an Airlight(340PD) J-frame .357, but I'll be taking a 1911 to Thunder Ranch, next January. At 7-10yds, both are nickle-sized-group accurate, but it took equal load work, with both, to accomplish this. When they offer an accurate 12oz auto that makes 500+ft/lbs of energy, I might be interested. Until then, the Scandium is my choice.